PRE-GAME [Round 1, 2024] Roosters vs Broncos in Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.
McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
We're supposed to be taking 23 players to LA. I'm short two. Who did I miss?

1. Walsh
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Cobbo
5. Arthars
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Jensen
9. Walters
10. Haas
11. Piakura
12. Riki
13. Carrigan

14. Smoothy
15. Willison
16. Hetherington
17. Baker

18. Sailor
19. Madden
20. Taupau
21. Mariner
22. ?
23.?

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
Named this weekend.
think they specified that some of the guys might join the squad overseas after the trial. Which probably makes sense if getting as much game time as possible into them is the philosophy. Wouldnt be surprised if they put Mozer, Tekura and Hunt on the plane just to get some experience in a big game setting

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
think they specified that some of the guys might join the squad overseas after the trial. Which probably makes sense if getting as much game time as possible into them is the philosophy. Wouldnt be surprised if they put Mozer, Tekura and Hunt on the plane just to get some experience in a big game setting

Only Ballin leaving late.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Even if Piakura seems alright to play, should we really be risking him on a 10+ hour flight to Vegas?

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Even if Piakura seems alright to play, should we really be risking him on a 10+ hour flight to Vegas?
They are stopping off in Fiji .
Story I heard was Piakura bruised his own knee when scoring a try . Once swelling goes down should be good to go .

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

I'm sure the week in LA before we even get to Vegas will be enough of a recovery.

He'll then get two weeks after the Vegas match to recover before he needs to play again.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
Omg how is he ever going to sit and lie still in business class. You can always put him in a shipping container and see him in 30 days time.

Super rugby teams sometimes flew close to 50 hours in the span of 3 games across 2 weeks. Its a non-issue in terms of his injury.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Piakura has completed a "90 minute hit-out and has been cleared by medicos to travel to Vegas.

Riki:

“I reckon he will be sweet to travel to America. Brendan is a tough guy and always wants to put his best foot forward for the team. We are extremely lucky to have such a professional medical staff at the club and I know they are doing their best to look after him and see what he needs done. They did a good job for me in the off-season with my shoulder and I’m keen to get out there, have a run and test the new shoulder out. Piakura looks good.”​
“’Brendy’ has really stepped up. Sadly ‘Capes’ went off to go to the Warriors and the leadership group and ‘Kevvie’ sat down with Brendan and said he probably needed to roll his socks up a bit. Brendan has hit the ground running in pre-season. He is hitting PBs in the gym and with fitness sessions. He is owning his role and that’s what we need him to do on the edge. The first 10 or 15 minutes in that trial, he was very strong, he was killing it. I know the medical team will get his knee and get him ready for round 1.”​
"I briefly met Joe Tomane this morning. He is a solid boy and a big dude. You wouldn’t want him running off the back fence at you, he is a big guy, lovely and very well-spoken. I have seen highlights of him playing rugby and it will be good for him to put on the Broncos jumper for us and the club and hopefully one day I can mix it with him and share Suncorp Stadium with him. We are excited to have him on board at the club and it will be good to see how he goes this week. It’s an awesome opportunity for him to put the Broncos jumper on.”​
Kevvie:
“There’s been a lot of talk around Vegas and going over there. It has been a little bit different. It’ll be great to get over there and start our preparation. I like this group. They are really tight and well connected.”​
“The opening four or five weeks is about getting our own game nice and simple and effective. That’s what we did last year against good opposition. That’s the plan again this year, to just focus on ourselves, particularly defensively. That’s where we need to make more improvements. There’s still a few guys we’re talking about and discussing for round one.”​

HarryAllan7

HarryAllan7

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
As happy as I am for Oatesy, it's hard to justify him in the starting side based on the output we've seen from him recently (although in limited minutes).

Arthars was one of our consistent best outside backs last year and absolutely deserves his spot, and Mariner is an exciting young talent who has impressed every time he's been given an opportunity and has done so by being really slick and composed and classy, not through occasional big, flashy highlight plays.
Oates on the other hand, looks like he's moving in slow motion compared to these two.

I hope if Oates is picked that he can compensate for the lack of attack / finishing by providing some real go-forward and taking tough carries out of our own end to help out the forwards (especially with our thin 2nd row stocks), but personally I'd prefer to see Mariner get his shot.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
As happy as I am for Oatesy, it's hard to justify him in the starting side based on the output we've seen from him recently (although in limited minutes).

Arthars was one of our consistent best outside backs last year and absolutely deserves his spot, and Mariner is an exciting young talent who has impressed every time he's been given an opportunity and has done so by being really slick and composed and classy, not through occasional big, flashy highlight plays.
Oates on the other hand, looks like he's moving in slow motion compared to these two.

I hope if Oates is picked that he can compensate for the lack of attack / finishing by providing some real go-forward and taking tough carries out of our own end to help out the forwards (especially with our thin 2nd row stocks), but personally I'd prefer to see Mariner get his shot.
I'm happy to trust Kevvie to pick whoever he thinks has earned every position. We haven't seen them at training. We don't know what markers they've been given and whether they've met them.

As far as Oates and Arthars go, I think some goodwill applies. Corey was BHQ Player's of the Year in 2022 by quite a margin. But only played 9 games last season, through unfortunate injuries. We've only seen one half of trials since then. Arthars finished the season on a high as his replacement, being one of our best in the Grand Final. But he has not trained during the preseason, due to injury, and was one of the worst on field in the All Stars match. Meanwhile, Mariner has trained the full preseason on on the wing, and has seen ample trial time, but has been a real mixed bag. It's fair to say even his biggest fans have dialled back their enthusiasm to get him in ASAP.

Whichever two of those three Kevvie picks I'm sure will do the job, but based on residual goodwill alone I could understand him going with Oates and Arthars. A similiar discussion is being had about our four hookers, with opinions differing markedly between observers, and even a little heat. The upshot is the 9/14 selection should be Billy and Tyson, no question, for no other reason than that was the combo that got us to the Grand Final. And they looked like they belonged there.

But every player needs to be looking over his shoulder, not just our wingers and hookers. That's competitive sport.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
This is the conversation we had two days ago.

Lets revisit that conversation about Tristan as a front line defender Mc Hunt . lol .

He got run over on Sunday . But what half hasn`t on an edge . That`s one strike . I`ll give him another chance , but like G Dubya once said fool me once ,you can`t fool me .
I`d love to see a redemption story from alleged sexual deviate to Broncos Mr Fixit hero and multiple season regular . Get old mate Nables to narrate it and every thin . Wouldn`t be a dry eye in the house . But I have my doubts .

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
The only wiggle room I can give them is if Madden is woeful.

He did alright .
He has some nice passes in his game , And I like that he is keen to run himself . That keeps the defence from sliding out early . Makes space later in halves for his outside men .

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
I'm happy to trust Kevvie to pick whoever he thinks has earned every position. We haven't seen them at training. We don't know what markers they've been given and whether they've met them.

As far as Oates and Arthars go, I think some goodwill applies. Corey was BHQ Player's of the Year in 2022 by quite a margin. But only played 9 games last season, through unfortunate injuries. We've only seen one half of trials since then. Arthars finished the season on a high as his replacement, being one of our best in the Grand Final. But he has not trained during the preseason, due to injury, and was one of the worst on field in the All Stars match. Meanwhile, Mariner has trained the full preseason on on the wing, and has seen ample trial time, but has been a real mixed bag. It's fair to say even his biggest fans have dialled back their enthusiasm to get him in ASAP.

Whichever two of those three Kevvie picks I'm sure will do the job, but based on residual goodwill alone I could understand him going with Oates and Arthars. A similiar discussion is being had about our four hookers, with opinions differing markedly between observers, and even a little heat. The upshot is the 9/14 selection should be Billy and Tyson, no question, for no other reason than that was the combo that got us to the Grand Final. And they looked like they belonged there.

But every player needs to be looking over his shoulder, not just our wingers and hookers. That's competitive sport.
Finally mchunt talks pure common sense. All those conspiracy theories unfounded! He's a broncos supporter after all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.