Status
Not open for further replies.
noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
[size=+2]Round 1 - Broncos Vs Sea Eagles[/size]
[size=+1]Friday 8th March 8:05PM (local) Suncorp Stadium[/size]

Our season kicks off in less than 9 days, thought it time for a match specific thread.

Hopefully we can get off to a good start, and i think we can beat the Sea Eagles. No Glenn Stewart, Tony Williams gone, and Watmough's fitness an issue due to a sternum injury. Plenty of classy players still in their side though.

Hopefully Reed is up to speed I think we'll need him there defensively. Manly have a habit of giving us headaches out wide. Hopefully we can dominate field position through our forwards and restrict their chances.

Hopefully the weather sorts itself out and its a great night for footy!

Last edited:
Definitely right about Reed, Jamie Lyon always plays well against us. Just got my upgraded season tickets in row 9 so the weather had better be good

ZOMG, first build-up thread of the new season! Can't believe it's almost here. :rockon:

Gonna be in Indonesia for this one, hopefully I can find somewhere to watch it!

Tipping Manly, they have a great record up here winning 5 of the last 6.

Let's get some team lists up in this thread.

This is what I expect to see...

1. Josh Hoffman
2. Denan Kemp
3. Jack Reed
4. Justin Hodges
5. Lachlan Maranta
6. Peter Wallace
7. Scott Prince
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Josh McGuire
11. Alex Glenn
12. Sam Thaiday (c)
13. Corey Parker

14. Ben Hunt
15. Matt Gillett
16. Scott Anderson
17. David Stagg

Although somehow I see Norman being included. Whether it's a shifty at fullback or on the bench/halves (for Prince), I reckon Hook will find somewhere to fit him in. Really hope I'm wrong though.

Only other question marks is Anderson. He picked up a rib injury against the Warriors and could miss out. If he does, then I reckon Dodds comes in, easy.

Manly I see lining up as...

1. Brett Stewart
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Steve Matai
5. David Williams*
6. Keiran Foran
7. Daly-Cherry Evans
8. Jason King
9. Matt Ballin
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough**
12. Justin Horo
13. Jamie Buhrer

14. Kayne Lawton
15. George Rose
16. Joe Galuvao
17. Nick Skinner

*If Williams is still unavailable then either Ben Farrar or Jacob Gagan come onto the wing
** If Watmough is unable to return in time then Skinner goes into the starting side with Brenton Lawrence coming onto the bench

Has Stewart's contract even been registered yet?

Gotta say its taking some getting used to these first games not against the cowboys. I'm usually super keen and looking forward to seeing two great teams but instead I have this massive hate rolling into this match.

Yessss, so close to a game! The off season sucks.

Would be so sweet if he doesn't get registered for even longer.

Although reading "As expected, Stewart was today linked to Canterbury with fullback Ben Barba having been stood down indefinitely." just makes it worse, what with the Bulldogs and their unlimited salary cap.

would be interesting if stewarts contract sees rose and galuvao cut from the squad. their depth is already being tested. imagine if they cut those two. and then stewart gets his usual hammy injury and is out for 6 weeks after rnd 1. they are doing their best to shoot that team in the foot imo.

anyhow. back on broncs. im really not sure how we will line up. i'd find it hard to believe griffin will leave norman out. but im not sure who will. i dont see norman offering anything from the bench, and hunt has been good in trials. next tuesday is going to be really interesting.

Last edited:
Great to see a thread like this again can't wait for the season to begin. Very tough game to begin the season, even without Glenn Stewart, T-Rex and Watmough Manly still are a very classy outfit and will go into the game as favourites.

we are actually $1.70 favourites with the bookies. i tend to agree, although i probably won't be taking it. manlys prep has been pretty poor, plus they've got contract issues and threats of player cuts hanging over them. it probably wouldnt be sitting well with some of the players at the moment. no one likes to go to work with the thought they might not have a job next week.

Last edited:
I'm no fan of Stewart but I can't say I wouldn't be really happy if we got him. He would fill a massive void in our team and we'd have a top quality player in our spine. Either him or Barba will do, c'mon Gee swoop on this, who cares if it's not right or whatever, this is business. Give Manly our upcoming star in Norman.

I will stop dreaming. We will not sign any worthy player for a long time :(

Last edited:
Looking forward to this game. It will really show us where we are at. I've been very negative about our chances but if we can manage to start the season with a win the boys might get the confidence boost they need. We really need to stay injury free to go well. I am hopeful Hook starts with Prince in the halves. I don't even care who he is paired with. Our forward pack will match it with most this season. Would love to see McCullough take the next step in his development and really dominate.

Jamie Lyon dominates us 99% of the time. Reed and whoever is outside of him will need to be alert. Glenn has also been pretty lazy in defence lately, he'll need to wake up.

i'm expecting chee kam on the bench for manly. he plays similarly to t-rex. Do we expect two bench props or stagg with one of our second row moving up? What's going on with hala guys, still injured? What minutes do we expect the second row to play. If stagg is there I guess Parker is the only chance of 80 if not maybe Glenn too with the only subs being gilette for thaiday. what do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Harry Sack
  • leon.bott
  • Big Del
  • FACTHUNT
  • Maddy
  • Wolfie
  • john1420
  • Allo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Jazza
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Sproj
  • Mr Fourex
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.