Round 1 - Broncos Vs Sea Eagles - Post Game Thread

Yeah, Dodds is useless off the bench. He never makes any runs, he's a worker in defence but he just doesn't get any hit ups.

The post match press conference is on the broncos website

Glad I'm in hong kong and got to miss this one... Sounds like it went pretty much as I expect this group to go this year..

Someone said minutes 10 to 30 were good, I agree. It's pretty simple, just play like that for 80 instead of 30!

Other than that, I just hate it that we throw away time after time our chances to beat the evil Manly scums. Damn I hate the feckwits. That is all.

I still can't wait for next week. So good to have the Broncos back, even if they lose.

I thought it was awesome. New forwards look great, Cherry and Foz were teriffic in second half. Matai showed up Hodges, Manly turned up the heat and the Broncos wilted. It's gonna be a good year!

Very dissapointed to surrender so meekly after a good first half but it was just followed by garbage afterwards. I thought we had a bit more creativity with Prince who I thought played a decent game tonight. Completley rubbish second half, no direction in attack at all and just no commitment what so ever don't grab at players drive in with your shoulder and hit the bastard. Finally i've stopped defending Wallace he was so shit tonight it was unbelievable.

Our best players tonight were Alex Glenn, Josh Mcguire and Hodgo (in attack) imo

Last edited:
I've only read the first page, but way too harsh. I actually was enjoying Wallace, Prince & Norman together, especially in the 1st half. Fair enough the 2nd half was poo, but there were many promising signs in the first half. I think we need to have a positive mindset. The last two seasons we have set the world in fire early , then faded. Let's hope this season we struggle early, then finish strong.

Gee, whoever would've guessed stagg in the team, let alone the bench, would be a stupid move. The guy was useless 5 years ago, now he's over the hill and useless.

Reed and gillett carried on from 2012 without missing a beat. A few guys must've taken thaidays ball handling master class in the offseason.

The worst thing out of tonight was our forward rotation IMO. Why are Parker and Glenn, our lone offloader and our leading try scorer like 2 years in a row, not playing 80 minutes? Why did McGuire come off after 20 and not come back til 45? Why have hannant on the bench and a second rower in prop?

Honest to god, I don't think griffin has any idea how to run a team. This is one of the first years where I was expecting to miss the top 8 easily before a match had even been played, and tonight didn't do much to show me otherwise.

Last edited:
Did anyone here notice who was killing the right edge defence? I mean with the 4v 2 not Prince's tackling deficiencies. Also the main differences from second half to first were: the outnumbering on right edge defence. Hodges and reed wanted to be heroes and wouldn't pass to the wingers. Manly weren't giving away so many penalties. The half on Hodges side started to defend him a little better. Our forwards lacked any sting in their runs through both halves. Glenn was consistently good, thaiday had one or two good runs, moose was consistently okay. Half the issue is their positioning before receiving the ball though. For most hitups the dummyhalf was passing to a guy with on 2 metres of the markers which killed a lot of our go forward. We still stand far too shallow. When the ball was shifted wide most times it was so slow due to the shallowness(players had to stop running and slow down to stay behind the ball carrier.) no one was passing the ball quickly enough. I didn't notice gillet's positioning in defence but he was good when tackling. If he could catch a ball tonight he would have been close to glenn's form tonight. Make Glenn the captain already? I think Hoffman's true position is centre. I forgot about Kemp till just before but he should replace reed and switch positions with Hoffman. I say keep Norman for now he's the least of our concerns and our spine needs to gel. He timed the run onto Prince's ball well and at least has something to work from. Although nothing special in kick returns. After tonight I'd say with Norman you get timed runs with Hoffman you get kick returns, although he played very well out wide tonight. That side was defensively very good. Not sure if Hoffman had any effect on that though.

Pretty simple, we were way, way, way our muscled from the get go. How often did a tackle by cherry evans and friends on someone like Glenn end in us being pushed back a few metres. It was a one way street the entire game. McCullough's inability to get us moving forward is getting to be a real issue but we really need a few wrecking balls in there. Speed around the ruck with a couple of players running like they want to hurt someone? Holy shit I'd like that... A prop or two that scare people, I'd fucking like be that...

Sounds like it was a good thing the wi-fi at my hotel was too slow to watch this over the net!

What I'd like to see for the next 5 rounds

1. Bond
2. Berryman
3. Hoffman
4. Hodges
5. Kemp
6. Wallace
7. Prince
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Baptiste
15. Gillett
16. Gibb
17. Timu

Small but speedy back 3, some good size on the bench.
It's time to change it up

No point making changes yet. Just need to get better and more consistent. 80 mins of good footy instead of 20 mins of good footy

First half we didn't look too bad. Promising signs.

The two 4 on 2 defence lapses on our right killed us.....how did that happen twice

Prince out of position?

I agree.

Prince was caught jamming in and left his outside men outnumbered.

I'd like to think the second half last night was just a fact that a lot of the players were blowing off cobwebs, because it looked like a lot of them didn't really know their role to play in the side.

We also looked absolutely out on our feet at about the 50 minute mark .... WTF !!

First half was decent footy. Marantas try will be on the highlight reel. 14-6 at half time against a quality side like Manly means we must be doing something right, and the doomsdayers need to STFU.

Second half, I should have had more rumbos. The Broncos got in "hard done by" mode after DCE's try. No enterprise whatsoever. Not Hooks fault.

The Rally Towel thing was embarrassing.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Mustafur
  • Harry Sack
  • Sproj
  • Financeguy
  • leon.bott
  • Big Del
  • FACTHUNT
  • Maddy
  • Wolfie
  • john1420
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Jazza
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Mr Fourex
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.