Round 1 - Bulldogs vs Broncos - Post Match Discussion

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Only because Hoffman is a 5/10 fullback and a .5/10 5/8.

Actually I'm going to go with Morkel and suggest Maranta ar fullback and Barba 5/8 with Hoffman at wing.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
When Hodges is back I'd have him as attacking fullback with Hoffman as defensive fullback and Barba at 5/8. Hodges is one our best players, we need him more involved.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
The point is on last night's performance, Hoffman has NFI about organizing the middle.

Organizing the middle, play making, IS CRITICAL for halves, and Hoffman was ABYSMAL and deserves all the bagging he, or rather Hook has and ought to get.

We don't need a straight, simple ball runner at 5/8. We need a proper play maker there. The proof for that is our performances since Lockyer retired. End of story, whether it's Barba or not.

I also recall that Hook himself said Barba was both excellent from the back and in the halves?

Last edited:
Grimmiq

Grimmiq

NYC Player
Apr 3, 2013
I remember thinking sometime in the second half when Pritchard got caught with the ball and kicked.. "That was better than every one of our 5th tackle kicks tonight".

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
^^ Which was odd because they both were really solid when they were on. Hannant had some good hitups and Kennedy was fired up after Ennis got in his face.
Both we're stepped around with ease and was covered up by man beside them. Looks like Hook has gone with McGuire and Parker starting as best defensive props

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
Why does everyone discount hunt and Hoffmann defence? At least they're not turnstiles. You put Niko or strasser in there and you would notice a difference in defence.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Good gutsy win.

Although Hunt confirmed what we all already knew. What ever Parra want us to pay for Sandow, we must do it. Sandow has half a clue at least. I didn't see one good kick from Hunt.

Vidot was awesome.

Maranta left me speechless

Defence was solid. Looked like they were playing for each other.

Kennedy bent the line a bit but needed to get more involved

When we are fully fit we need

1.Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Oates
4. Hodges
5. Reed/Maranta (if he can replicate his performance consistently)
6. Kahu
7. Sandow

That back line actually looks dangerous
can't find room for Copely who looked fantastic last night and will be a super player with decent halves?

animal eater

animal eater

QCup Player
Jul 27, 2013
Honor role: Maranta, Vidot, Macca, Copley, Glen, Barba

Just passed the test: Thaiday, Hennant, Kennedy, Gillette ( needs to run forward in a bad way) Parker (completely out of position)

Fail: Hunt ( wow what a stinker) Hoffman( Just not a 5/8), Reed ( was he even awake

Bottom line: Play people in positions that they are accustomed to playing. I would of actually swapped Marranta and Hoffman.

Upside is we are 1-0 and we now have the x factor in Barba.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
can't find room for Copely who looked fantastic last night and will be a super player with decent halves?

I don't know how you can have a team without Copley in his current form, mind blowing. He is in front of Oates if we are talking centres and if it comes down to reed and Copley it's back to q cup reed

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
We know Hoffman isn't going to be doing any ball playing. The problem is we need a ball playing 6.
Problem we have is you have to have one in your squad. Nikorima is a running 5/8 also and I won't go into Strasser too much as I have not seen a lot of him. All I know is that he has played about half a season of Q cup in the halves

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
That post was meant for glory days not you splinter btw

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
I was (and still am) sceptical of Kahu at 5/8th but am inclined to agree that he's got more to offer than Hoffy.

Was hoping to see Corvo's conditioning become more of a factor in the latter stages of the game, enabling us to finish strongly against a more fatigued opposition. That said, we defended numerous repeat sets in the second half and that much defence takes its toll. I'm hoping with a more even share of possession that we would be able to run away with it in the last 15-20.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

Cant' agree with this S ... for mine, Copley was a revelation and has to be in the side, centre, wing or FB

IMO, he is light years ahead of Hoffman except maybe on the wing ... maybe.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
I don't know how you can have a team without Copley in his current form, mind blowing. He is in front of Oates if we are talking centres and if it comes down to reed and Copley it's back to q cup reed
That was my question to 88to 2006 who left him out. I have watched Copely through u20s and he was always a special centre, no fuss but could find the try line. The same way Maranta was a very good fullback, it was no surprise to anyone who has followed his career that he would read the play and cover the Bulldogs kicks last night.
Unfortunately the same people that went go over the top in bagging Maranta are also the same ones that we're bagging Copely as late as 3 to 4 weeks ago. I don't think they watch our u20s to know what skills individual players have and how they might develop. Only a small percentage of youngsters come in and perform immediately in the way Oates did. They are the special ones

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
That was my question to 88to 2006 who left him out. I have watched Copely through u20s and he was always a special centre, no fuss but could find the try line. The same way Maranta was a very good fullback, it was no surprise to anyone who has followed his career that he would read the play and cover the Bulldogs kicks last night.
Unfortunately the same people that went go over the top in bagging Maranta are also the same ones that we're bagging Copely as late as 3 to 4 weeks ago. I don't think they watch our u20s to know what skills individual players have and how they might develop. Only a small percentage of youngsters come in and perform immediately in the way Oates did. They are the special ones

... then it's curtains for Hoffa, lol

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
said it before the start of hte season - copley will be very close to origin selection in may, if hodges is troubled by injury i think he'll be in.

Active Now

• levikaden
  • Wolfie
  • sooticus
  • Alec
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • KateBroncos1812
  • kat00
  • BroncosAlways
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.