Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wtf?

He gives young guys opportunities as much as any other coach, if not more.. Opacic, Pearson, Pangai Jr, Ese'ese, Arrow, Su'A.. all last year.. do I need to go on?

The young forwards never get a shot under Bennett case in point was tpj getting 5mins in the semi last year and arrow copping 10mins off the bench in pretty much every appearance. Sua got 4 games and Herman got 8 hardly anything to write home about

**** me in the MIDDLE!!!

Second rowers don't typically come charging in for tackles unless it's on their EDGE. You know the edge where Matty G was protecting Hunt all year

you said and i quote: "only experienced forward out there"

Blair plays in the middle
Glenn plays in the middle
McGuire plays in the middle

Bennett is far too good a coach to have all three of those players off the field at the exact same time, unless we are up by 20 or a major injury crisis occurs

The young forwards never get a shot under Bennett case in point was tpj getting 5mins in the semi last year and arrow copping 10mins off the bench in pretty much every appearance. Sua got 4 games and Herman got 8 hardly anything to write home about

firstly, Su'a played nearly every minute of those 4 games.

TPJ was on the bench for the most the season

and we also still had Wallace on our books last season, why would he bother dropping an experienced forward who was playing decent footy for an unproven rookie.

you said and i quote: "only experienced forward out there"

Blair plays in the middle
Glenn plays in the middle
McGuire plays in the middle

Bennett is far too good a coach to have all three of those players off the field at the exact same time, unless we are up by 20 or a major injury crisis occurs

I said at some point Blair and McGuire would both be off.

So I'm guessing at some point you're suggesting arrow comes off for Glenn you then have Sims and ESE/offa out there with Glenn who's played **** all in the middle outside of bench minutes last year and is also considered undersized for the position.

Also at what point does tpj get minutes (who was also on the original bench I was talking about).

It's still a whole lot of screwing around to compensate arrow at lock rather than McGuire

I said at some point Blair and McGuire would both be off.

So I'm guessing at some point you're suggesting arrow comes off for Glenn you then have Sims and ESE/offa out there with Glenn who's played **** all in the middle outside of bench minutes last year and is also considered undersized for the position.

Also at what point does tpj get minutes (who was also on the original bench I was talking about).

It's still a whole lot of screwing around to compensate arrow at lock rather than McGuire

no what your saying is that you don't think Bennett is smart enough to use his bench rotation in a way where McGuire and Blair are never off the field at the same time ... me personally, I have more faith in Bennett than that.

besides, Glenn has played plenty of footy in the middle

no what your saying is that you don't think Bennett is smart enough to use his bench rotation in a way where McGuire and Blair are never off the field at the same time ... me personally, I have more faith in Bennett than that.

besides, Glenn has played plenty of footy in the middle

The easiest way to have Blair and McGuire both on the field is by having McGuire play big minutes at lock, which he can, and that is also why McGuire is currently favourite for the lock spot over juggling your bench and having arrow at lock.

When has Glenn played plenty of footy in the middle outside of last year's bench minutes and outside of NYC?? Where he also played plenty of center

The easiest way to have Blair and McGuire both on the field is by having McGuire play big minutes at lock, which he can, and that is also why McGuire is currently favourite for the lock spot over juggling your bench and having arrow at lock.

Just because it's the easiest way doesn't mean it's the best way.

Yes, let's judge a young kid on one game...

I rate the bloke, I've seen him come through the ranks, his attitude and his work ethic. You don't put 200 meters almost every game (in NYC and ISC) without it.
Is there anyone you've seen come through the ranks that you don't rate though? Under 18s isn't the same as the NRL and that one game actually had a lot on the line for him.

Every time I've watched Arrow he's done plenty of passing in the lead up to sweeping plays, playing similarly to someone like Gallen, if I was going to compare it to someone in the NRL, he's no James Graham, but he can definitely pass the ball accurately and in a timely fashion.

And those off-load statistics 100% back-up what I was saying, in comparison to McGuire he's absolute light years ahead of him if we're looking for a lock similar to Corey Parker that can offload and defend at a high rate.

Also, in regards to your stats, you said that his number of offloads were "no where near that number" in the ISC, but followed up by saying he played in 12 NRL games, would I be correct in saying he played far fewer games in the ISC in 2016 than he did in the NYC in 2015? Statistically speaking he probably averaged more offloads per game in the ISC than the NYC.

And just as a side note:

McGuire in 2016: 24 games, 16 offloads.

Passing is not ball playing, offloading is not ball playing.

Are you sure you're not getting Murphy and Arrow confused? Arrow got QRL rep player of the year for his Residents performance and passed the ball once in that game. Which game was he leading to tries with his passing game?

From Arrow's 17 games for Norths/Residents in 2016 he had 309 receives and passed the ball 38 times. That's an average of 2 a game of some pass/offload or one every eight runs.

McGuire's stats from 24 games is pretty comparable. Not light years at all. Light years would be Arrow doing 10 offloads a game.

Seems to be a common association with ball playing and the lock position.

While many locks might have that element to their game, it's not a mandatory feature.

Klemmer, Finucane, Taumalolo, none of them known as prolific offloaders or ball players. You could add players like Moaeroa and Fensom too, though you could argue they're not particularly effective players by most measures.

I realise we have a surplus of experienced second rowers comparative to props but I still feel McGuire is the best fit.

He's tough as nails, can play big minutes and is pretty quick off the mark for his size. We just need him to punch out the minutes and rip in at full throttle. Preferably once our backs and props have the defence retreating.

If he adds an offload to his game, so much the better.

I don't think many if any do have that feature. Lock or just forward in general.

Passing is not ball playing, offloading is not ball playing.

?

Which game was he leading to tries with his passing game?

Who said he had passes leading to tries? Let's not fabricate.

From Arrow's 17 games for Norths/Residents in 2016 he had 309 receives and passed the ball 38 times. That's an average of 2 a game of some pass/offload or one every eight runs.

You said a few posts up he had 40 offloads in the ISC in 2016, now he's only passed the ball 38 times in total?.. Which one is it.

McGuire's stats from 24 games is pretty comparable. Not light years at all. Light years would be Arrow doing 10 offloads a game.

Well it's not if you're comparing offloads, I was using your statistics which I assumed were accurate, 40 offloads in 17 games vs 16 offloads in 24 games is absolute lightyears.

Offloads and just passing the ball is not ball playing.

You said he was involved in sweeping plays all the time and you've seen them a lot- all the time. I assumed their was some degree of success from Norths- or is every sweeping play he sets up come to nothing? That's not too much of a play then. They should probably stop doing it all the time with a success rate of 0.

Sorry 38. I wouldn't get too caught up in my ability to read a column and be out by two, you haven't contributed anything yet.

You weren't using my stats because you said it before I gave you the stats. So 40 is light years but 38 is what?

It really doesn't change anything.

Just a thought on the Sharkies. Many of you will remember that I've long been a supporter of the Sharks but from the moment they won the gf they have been dead to me! Now they are fair game and have joined the ranks of the teams who can crash and burn for all I care. My great mate has finally known the joy we have experienced so many times but my days of sympathy are finished. **** the Sharks !

I told him they will not repeat and will suffer a slide back into mediocrity but he won't hear of it. Told him he was delusional.....

Offloads and just passing the ball is not ball playing.

You said he was involved in sweeping plays all the time and you've seen them a lot- all the time. I assumed their was some degree of success from Norths- or is every sweeping play he sets up come to nothing? That's not too much of a play then. They should probably stop doing it all the time with a success rate of 0.

Sorry 38. I wouldn't get too caught up in my ability to read a column and be out by two, you haven't contributed anything yet.

You weren't using my stats because you said it before I gave you the stats. So 40 is light years but 38 is what?

It really doesn't change anything.

I'm not sure if there's a language barrier or what here.. You said in your previous post that he only passed the ball 38 times in total, how is that possible if he had 38 offloads, are you claiming that there was ZERO occasions during the entire season where he passed a ball before the line? I find that very hard to believe.

I'm not sure if there's a language barrier or what here.. You said in your previous post that he only passed the ball 38 times in total, how is that possible if he had 38 offloads, are you claiming that there was ZERO occasions during the entire season where he passed a ball before the line? I find that very hard to believe.

Correct the ball left his hands 38 times last year- the breakdown of that offloads to passing I haven't done. I'm assuming if I look up his offloads it's going to be very close to 38 which doesn't mean much room for sweeping passes.

Why would you find that hard to believe? He played front row for a lot of the season with Norths. Not every team plays like the Bulldogs and Norths didn't finish third last because they were killing it.

Bottom line; I'd have Arrow in my team but no way he ball plays, he has a handy off-load now and then. I am not picking him for his passing of any sort. Nice if he gets one away though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.