PRE-GAME Round 14 - Storm vs Broncos

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

How do know he's soft. My view is that if you met him in person you'd probably change your opinion.

I was saying I'm soft around the middle.

He could be a great bloke, but the fact remains he's in ordinary shape for a 23 year old let alone a 23 year old footy player.

I agree with what others have said about bird returning through q cup. He should have a game there to show he is fit and how he can apply his skills.
I think throwing a bloke into a team (and another bloke out) based only on potential is bound to be disruptive for all sorts of reasons.

Agreed.
If the Broncos strength and conditioning staff deemed he needed to lose weight then he would.
They are obviously ok with his body shape.
Like I said earlier, it's not so much his weight that people should be worried about, it's his lack of muscle mass in he arms and legs. Birds strengths are busting tackles and running hard, all which require a strong upper body and legs hence why he hasn't been able to do either of those things all season hence the reason people are becoming pissed off. The way you win over bronco fans is though effort and devotion to the club (Jimmy the Jet) if he works on his strength I'm almost positive he could contribute to the team whilst carrying a few extra kgs.. But that will take effort and devotion in and out of the gym which I'm not sure that he's got

Like I said earlier, it's not so much his weight that people should be worried about, it's his lack of muscle mass in he arms and legs. Birds strengths are busting tackles and running hard, all which require a strong upper body and legs hence why he hasn't been able to do either of those things all season hence the reason people are becoming pissed off. The way you win over bronco fans is though effort and devotion to the club (Jimmy the Jet) if he works on his strength I'm almost positive he could contribute to the team whilst carrying a few extra kgs.. But that will take effort and devotion in and out of the gym which I'm not sure that he's got
Are you saying he used to have those things and now he doesn't?

Admittedly they played different positions but Justin Hodges had arms and legs that were not like your typical NRL player, yet he didn't find it hard to burst through tackles at will.

As has been said before, let's wait until we see him fit and injury free before we go shipping him off to the Knights.

I was going to stay out of this conversation regarding Bird, but **** it, I have trained people for 20 years so I think I can offer a few insights. First and foremost is some people just do not have great genetics when it comes to body composition regardless of how they train. Some people can look at a weight and gain muscle while some will never have a visually appealing physique. That said...

When you are an athlete that makes a living with your body and don't have the worlds best genetics, you had better be able to have a diet that does the body favours. I have seen a few photos/videos of Jack Bird at chow time and it wasn't pretty. The bottom line is what separates the good from the great from the OK is the commitment in training and diet. This is even more so when a person has ectomorph qualities as Bird does. The other thing is needless to say he should be busting his ass in the gym IF and I say if because I don't know the extent of his injuries. More muscle mass = leaner. Why? Because when you have more muscle you will always be leaner because you burn more calories 24/7. Think of the body as an engine. A V8 burns a lot more fuel than a 4 cylinder motor. Roberts and Oates are V8s while Bird is a 4 cylinder.

Often you will see that diet is a reflection of training and vice versa. Again, it all comes down to discipline and a persons ability for discomfort and being able to overcome discomfort (not having quick lousy food when you want it, or training hard when you don't want to train hard) vs being disciplined and reaching the end goal.

At this point I would guess that Bird needs to work harder on his discipline in both areas. My guess is he has very good natural ability as a footballer but is far from being his best and hence why people find him a let down. Still...I don't know what the extent of his injuries are but can tell you for certain that he needs to be way more disciplined than he is. There is no reason that a soon to be 50 year old like myself should look a lot better than him.

I would not let him in a Broncos jersey again till he gets fitter and proves himself in the lower grades.

Agreed. When you see young bucks like Staggs busting a blood vessel for even a few minutes on the field I say make Bird earn his spot. Otherwise ship the ill-disciplined tubby-scoff-alot back down to Sydney. We have plenty of guys willing to go the extra mile for a shot at a mighty Broncos Guernsey. This club should never tolerate mediocrity. Playing Bird in his present state sends all the wrong messages to the team.

Speaking about weight. CQ vs. Townsville QCup is on C9 at the moment. Dave Taylor looks like he has eaten a cow!

Speaking about weight. CQ vs. Townsville QCup is on C9 at the moment. Dave Taylor looks like he has eaten a cow!

I said it last week when i saw him down at Reddy, he looks like a heart attack waiting to happen. HE is still performing really well though tbf.

I was going to stay out of this conversation regarding Bird, but **** it, I have trained people for 20 years so I think I can offer a few insights. First and foremost is some people just do not have great genetics when it comes to body composition regardless of how they train. Some people can look at a weight and gain muscle while some will never have a visually appealing physique. That said...

When you are an athlete that makes a living with your body and don't have the worlds best genetics, you had better be able to have a diet that does the body favours. I have seen a few photos/videos of Jack Bird at chow time and it wasn't pretty. The bottom line is what separates the good from the great from the OK is the commitment in training and diet. This is even more so when a person has ectomorph qualities as Bird does. The other thing is needless to say he should be busting his ass in the gym IF and I say if because I don't know the extent of his injuries. More muscle mass = leaner. Why? Because when you have more muscle you will always be leaner because you burn more calories 24/7. Think of the body as an engine. A V8 burns a lot more fuel than a 4 cylinder motor. Roberts and Oates are V8s while Bird is a 4 cylinder.

Often you will see that diet is a reflection of training and vice versa. Again, it all comes down to discipline and a persons ability for discomfort and being able to overcome discomfort (not having quick lousy food when you want it, or training hard when you don't want to train hard) vs being disciplined and reaching the end goal.

At this point I would guess that Bird needs to work harder on his discipline in both areas. My guess is he has very good natural ability as a footballer but is far from being his best and hence why people find him a let down. Still...I don't know what the extent of his injuries are but can tell you for certain that he needs to be way more disciplined than he is. There is no reason that a soon to be 50 year old like myself should look a lot better than him.

I would not let him in a Broncos jersey again till he gets fitter and proves himself in the lower grades.

Brilliantly put.

At the same time, what about the roles and responsibilities of the coaching, training and conditioning staff? It isn't just Bird, and if it is, the whole team is in trouble fitness wise.

Flegler and Mago injured tonight for Souths. Flegler only lasted 10 minutes snd Mago a serious concussion.

Carrigan outstanding for Wynnum. He’s a serious worker and just impacts. Has to make the Residents.

”fitness”....... if you watched worlds strongest man and then watch a body builders competition on your basis you would assume the body builders were stronger? Force = mass x acceleration. Whilst not giving bird any leeway in regards to fitness it surely blows out your “muscle = lean” theory.

More muscle does burn more calories, TO AN EXTENT, marathon runners say hi....

Ps. I am not justifying birds weight or saying it is optimal, but surely as a trainer you realise that a person of his body shape benefits from a little thing called PERIODISATION in regards to fitness and body shape. You think a body builder is peak lean for 9 months a year????

”fitness”....... if you watched worlds strongest man and then watch a body builders competition on your basis you would assume the body builders were stronger? Force = mass x acceleration. Whilst not giving bird any leeway in regards to fitness it surely blows out your “muscle = lean” theory.

More muscle does burn more calories, TO AN EXTENT, marathon runners say hi....

Ps. I am not justifying birds weight or saying it is optimal, but surely as a trainer you realise that a person of his body shape benefits from a little thing called PERIODISATION in regards to fitness and body shape. You think a body builder is peak lean for 9 months a year????

Despite training body builders in the past, I do not and would not think of the training a footy player as being in the same realm. In terms of periodisation they are of a totally different arena. One is trying to be there best for one day vs an NRL player who is aiming to be at there best for half the year. Sorry, I don't agree with you there. Even if you were to look at Bird in terms of periodisation, he hasn't even gotten to a level where he is anywhere near peaking anyways, hell if you did compare him to bodybuilding...which I'm not, he looks pre-pre season. And again, hopefully this is due to getting over injuries and not the lifestyle of an angry teenage girl who's upset and is going to comfort eat until she can't fit into her clothes.

The concern for me is less about Bird himself and more about the coaching staff. I can forgive (temporarily) a young bloke on big money getting lazy because perhaps I would make the same mistake, but the staff should be forcing the lazy out of him

Active Now

• KickHaas
  • Wolfie
  • Morkel
  • BroncosAlways
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Socnorb
  • Jazza
  • bb_gun
  • Culhwch
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Browny
  • Fozz
  • Justwin
  • jarro65
  • porouian
  • abashii
  • mitch222
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • mieko
  • Bucking Beads
... and 27 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.