Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
ezgif-1551647964.gif

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
What an epic win. Away at our graveyard, against a mountain of possession and 12 drop-outs... that was the best defensive display I have ever seen!

Like Wayne said though, we did in part contribute to that massive discrepancy in possession with mostly very poor 5th tackle options and abysmal kicking, which allied to our style of defense (slow line speed, but straight and impregnable), allowed the cheats to pretty much put a for rent sign on their half of the field.

Of course, when we did get there, we looked sharp and dangerous every time, and scored really good tries, including another contender for try of the year.

Credit to everyone of course, but for mine there were a few monsters today:
Gillett, Macca, Moose, Oates, Reed, Kahu and Boyd were massive in every possible way!
Blair played his best game of the season as well, and was good to see Doddsy's hard hitting defense back on track.
Also credit to Parcell for that huge defensive tackle in the last minute, stopping a much bigger man cold 1 meter from the try line.

Go to the GH for a pretty butthurt play by play.
Comment of the night:

As much as I hate the Broncos, that was a good result for the Raiders. Keeps top 4 within reach.
:rofl:

Imagine how many more if Griffin had of used him better off the bench or had him playing off the wing more.
Not sure if serious... sarcasm radar must need adjustment. :wink:

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
That Parcell tackle at the end was mint. Typified the whole game with that play. Good to see the young fella reaping the rewards for the hard work and Bennett would certainly have been pleased seeing how he left him out there and watching him make that play. Melbourne were lucky they had all the possession because we would have racked up a cricket score if we had 80 odd tackles in their 20

M

morganmorgan

NYC Player
Mar 9, 2015
Great great great defense. Only problem was our 5th play options. Did my head in. I need to get down to training and teach them. Cannot beleive milf kicked it out on the full twice

animal eater

animal eater

QCup Player
Jul 27, 2013
How Fucking epic was that! I love the never say die attitude.
I love the depth of this side.
I love that Corey Oates is a Bronco.
I love that Kahu is healthy.
I love that Reed has found his game.
I love that Maranta is the most improved player in the league.
I love that Boyd is starting to get some speed.
I love that Gillette has come out of his slumber.
I love that Macca is reaching his potential.
I love that Hoffman,Barba and Kennedy don't play for us.
I love the fact that Bennett has instilled discipline and belief.
I love that we finally took down the Storm and in Melbourne.
I think I just love this team.

Last edited:
Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Well, I was wrong about the margin but I had 100% confidence we could win down there, we just seem to have it at the moment.

We're playing for each other and defensively we are absolutely tremendous.

I don't know how the result would've panned out if Slater and Cronk were playing, but we can only play what's in front of us, not to mention we also were missing a couple of class players.

I'm not sure we can win the title, but I've every confidence we'll go deep into the finals.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
There is nothing more to say. That was amazing.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
I know everyone played well and what not but I thought Oates was fantastic, so many times he was the one taking the hit ups no one wanted off our own 10m, and making 10-15m every run. He is such a strong runner of the ball and he's only 19/20 - he's going to be a great great player for us for the next decade.

I say we keep him on the flanks until Thaiday/Parker leave, we don't need him in the middle and he's making such a huge difference on the wing.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
1. Darius Boyd - Thought he was out of position at times live in defense but was there when it mattered most and covered well with the return of his speed. Good signs. 8
2. Lachlan Maranta - Clinical finishing, super safe under the high ball and a brilliant offload in our amazing try in the first half. He just keeps getting better and better. Looks super fit too. 8
3. Jack Reed - I don't give perfect tens lightly but Jack Reed was brilliant yesterday. He was dangerous every time we had the ball (which wasn't often) and completely shut down Chambers. Given Chambers was used a lot, that is no small achievement. 9.5
4. Jordan Kahu - He has so much of Hodges about him, even being sticky-taped together. Pulled off a number of key plays and slotted a difficult conversion in windy conditions when it mattered. We have our Hodges replacement. 8
5. Daniel Vidot - He looked very good for us in his limited time on the field but obviously can't really score that highly as a result. 5
6. Anthony Milford - Two kicks out on the full but then a sublime grubber for Oates to score the match winner. He looked super elusive and dangerous in parts as well. He more than held his own in defense too. 7.5
7. Ben Hunt - I actually thought his kicking game was mostly pretty good except for one or two big moments where he kicked straight to Munster. Unfortunately, as the key play maker, that is where you earn the big bucks. 7
8. Josh McGuire - Did he have a break? I'm sure he did but every time we needed a run, he was there. Every time we needed a tackle, he was there. I'm doing it, I'm giving a ten. 10
9. Andrew McCullough - The guy tackled everything that moved, stunted a little in attack but more than forgiveable for the mountain of work he got through in defense which his team needed. 9
10. Adam Blair - I wanted him gone but he is starting to grow on me. He does the dirty stuff that doesn't get noticed, thankfully by the refs too. He did a late spear tackle on one of the kickers that probably wasn't shown on tv thankfully. I actually rated his game yesterday. 8
11. Alex Glenn - He is having a great season, he did so much work for us yesterday and probably won't get the credit he deserved. He runs with energy and bends the line every time. He also made a lot of big tackles. 9
12. Matt Gillett - I think he has finally awoken after his origin try. He was phenomenal yesterday and just kept popping up when needed. Great game even if not backing up. 9
13. Sam Thaiday - We could have used that performance in origin. He made some stinging tackles in defense and ran with real purpose. 8.5

14. Matt Parcell - I really rated his game yesterday. I also rate Kikorima. That clutch tackle and run he made where he unfortunately didn't offload, sublime stuff in key moments. Well done!! 8
15. Mitchell Dodds - I have never been a fan of Doddgy and still don't know if he belongs in our best 17 but for a tackling machine, it was his runs and willingness to not go down easy that really impressed me. I haven't seen that before. 8
16. Jarrod Wallace - He started with a bang and made some great runs plus tackles. He seemed to disappear a bit as the game wore on but good to see some of that early season form returning. 7.5
17. Corey Oates - I have left him to last because this kid is such a gun already. His runs out of end were phenomenal. His positioning on the Milford kick and anticipation plus speed were brilliant. His defense was rock solid and he stopped some big guys in their tracks. He should be playing Origin III. 9.5

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
@NRLstats: 442 - @brisbanebroncos made their 2nd most tackles in #NRL history! (Most is 467 v. Knights, Rd 21 2013) #NRLStormBroncos #MaroonAndGoldWall

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
Loved how tough our boys played yesterday. Every single one of them should hold their head high:clap2: Broncos I salute you.

K-Style

K-Style

NRL Player
Jun 1, 2014
Melbourne could have beaten us with drop goals. Someone will work out that we concede the length of the field nearly every set so pop a field goal every time we get pushed back and done.

I'm glad they lost the dirty wrestlers. I like how Bellamy refers to "their interpretation of the rules" when mentioning our tackling. Like tackling properly and not wrestling is an interpretation of the rules.

Last edited:
I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
After having 24 hours to sit on it, a couple of final points to think about with this game.

1. Fair credit has to go to Kahu for successfully kicking the final points of the game. I can only imagine the pressure he was under being such a young player knowing that his teammates were under the pump hard and that a miss could prove deadly to the teams momentum going forward and he kicked it from the sideline.

2. Oh if only this game was played at Suncorp in exactly the same fashion. The crowd reaction to Parcells final one on one try saver would've been something to remember.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Melbourne could have beaten us with drop goals. Someone will work out that we concede the length of the field nearly every set so pop a field goal every time we get pushed back and done.

I'm glad they lost the dirty wrestlers. I like how Bellamy refers to "their interpretation of the rules" when mentioning our tackling. Like tackling properly and not wrestling is an interpretation of the rules.
And every time they miss, we get 7 tackles from the 20 metre line. Let them try.

K-Style

K-Style

NRL Player
Jun 1, 2014
And every time they miss, we get 7 tackles from the 20 metre line. Let them try.
True and with Blair pressuring the kicker it would make it harder for them.

Does anyone have a replay of the Parcell tackle.

Active Now

• Rookie Alan
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Morkel
  • Sproj
  • Jedhead
  • Foordy
  • Fitzy
  • Behold
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.