11 D. Fifita 1 4 1 1 5 2 31 3 0 17 0 1 16m 141m 0 0
12 J. Stimson 0 0 0 0 0 0 28 2 0 3 0 0 0m 24m 1 1
13 I. Liu 0 0 0 0 0 0 22 2 0 6 0 0 0m 31m 2 0
14 J. Campbell 0 0 0 0 0 0 7 2 0 7 0 0 0m 18m 1 0
15 E. Clark 0 0 0 0 0 0 20 0 0 9 0 0 0m 74m 0 1
18 C. Randall 0 0 0 0 1 0 15 0 0 6 0 0 0m 45m 0 0
19 I. Fa'asuamaleaui 0 0 0 0 1 1 18 0 0 6 0 0 0m 54m 0 0
20 J. Fifita 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0m 0m 0 0

To be fair, after just watching it again it does look like Herbie takes a dive (and wouldn't have got there anyway). Probably too little to stop the game over.
Reimus Smith took a dive off Herbie and was rewarded, even though the ball was always heading to the first row and he was never any chance of getting to it.

A try scoring situation is still a professional foul... it's just whether the bunker thinks it's a penalty try or a professional foul.

Even outside the professional foul argument, the titans player is clearly extending their arm to interfere with Herbie, which is still a penalty regardless of whether Herbie dives or not.

Annersley should be explaining how all of his officials missed a clear penalty (and likely professional foul) at a key point in the game.

I love Oatesy, but I'd have been interested to see what would have happened on that last play had it gone to a winger with a bit more toe. The cover might still have made the tackle, of course, Brimson was right there. Corey does seem a bit kick-happy lately - the one against the Sharks he arguably took the wrong decision but it paid off in the end. It's all hindsight and easy enough for an armchair winger to say from the comfort of his keyboard, but a straighter kick and we have a far better chance of scoring there.

The start of that set was atrocious, by the way. Herbie took a nothing run for no metres off the Oates play-the-ball. Haas lumbered back in towards the markers following that. Then finally Carrigan runs hard and wide to create a bit of space, and look at that, next play Reyno finds a hole for Piakura....

Should never have come down to the last play, regardless.

Reimus Smith took a dive off Herbie and was rewarded, even though the ball was always heading to the first row and he was never any chance of getting to it.

A try scoring situation is still a professional foul... it's just whether the bunker thinks it's a penalty try or a professional foul.

Even outside the professional foul argument, the titans player is clearly extending their arm to interfere with Herbie, which is still a penalty regardless of whether Herbie dives or not.

Annersley should be explaining how all of his officials missed a clear penalty (and likely professional foul) at a key point in the game.
Yea that Smith one was crap too. Glad it wasn't called, I hate diving.

So Kevvie was just talking about Walsh giving lip?

(Groan). No. Even in Walsh's case, it would be the impatient "attitude", of thinking he is too good to stick to the game plan. To treat every play as if they need to score, as opposed to playing the percentages and building pressure so that all of the pieces fall in to place to score points (instead of seeing a slight opportunity early in the count and going all-in).

The players are supposed to be building their season on a "humble and hungry" mentality. So how about the "attitude" that that mentality only applied to certain opponents? I won't single out individual players here, but for sure Walters will have an idea of who needs to have their "attitude" adjusted in this regard.

Seriously, trying to paint our coach as clueless, or that he's using a copout by blaming "attitude" (and attempting to disprove his statement by saying "it wasn't about being lazy"), the poster here were right to take you to task on it.

I think line speed is a perfect example of a teams attitude and how it varies from game to game for us.

For most of that game, we were letting them make a million meters per set. We only started holding them in their half near the end when we realised we were in trouble, and there was no miracle play coming. That shows that we can do it, but we only seem to be focused enough to do it in patches.

Compare that to teams like Penrith who's defence is on the same pace for all 80 minutes.
This has ALWAYS been my problem with the team. We have a State of Origin pack (Haas, Flegler & Pat) but doesn't make a difference, teams just roll down the field.

We can complain about the non calls all we like but man, we are STRUGGLING to win against the average teams. I know there's the cliche "win ugly" but we've been doing that the whole year. Four matches we've gapped teams. Dragons, Tigers, Manly, and Titans first match. But both the Dragons and Titans were leading at half-time. Eels and Sharks we didn't really look like getting beaten. Each of those six teams aren't going that great.

That's my worry.

? I won't single out individual players here, but for sure Walters will have an idea of who needs to have their "attitude" adjusted in this regard.
So you don't have a clue. Just say that instead of trying to make this about one of your conspiracy theories, this time involving me calling the coach clueless, when I was talking about the use of "attitude" as a go-to cliche of all coaches.

At least we're on the same page in not knowing (other than obviously Walsh, who I singled out) what he actually meant by the lose term "attitude."

Why is it that you ask questions about something that is clear as day being said by Kevvie like a RL journo who is trying to find a way to use it to blame him for 9/11.
It's a meaningless cliche. File alongside "didn't turn up."

BTW, I'm not saying Kevvie is clueless, only that we've learnt to never take what comes out of his mouth in press conferences literally.

It's a meaningless cliche. File alongside "didn't turn up."

BTW, I'm not saying Kevvie is clueless, only that we've learnt to never take what comes out of his mouth in press conferences literally.
Sure but the emotions attached to those words, I think say everything.

It's clear what he was trying to say and his anger over how he said it paints the picture.

Of course if you only look at the words and nothing else it looks like a generic response to a loss.

i think walters has improved with the media and his speaking in general conversation generally flows now where it would be stop start nervousness last year

I'll be very surprised if it's not thrown out.
This is just contrarian behaviour because the posters you don't like say the NRL have a bias against the Broncos. What happens now if it isn't thrown out? You're simply surprised? Why would you be surprised when we have such a poor history with the judiciary? I think the only time we had a positive outcome was when Hodges was allowed to play the GF in 2015. Since then, we have either simply bent over, or lost any challenge. I mean, shoot, two of our own players had a private scuffle outside a pub and got banned.

At what point do you become unsurprised? I would be surprised if Walsh is let off, to be honest. Regardless of the circumstances, it is a bad look for the game and is far worse than private scuffles over shoes. Sure, the ref may have understood the situation, but honestly, the ref should have sent Walsh off regardless. Let that be punishment enough for getting into such a situation where he may have been potentially misunderstood to have been swearing at a ref. Instead, the ref didn't react correctly and here we are. They almost HAVE to suspend Walsh now. Best case would be to say "ok, it may not have been directed at the ref, but take a week off to consider how it came to pass and how you should act differently in the future".

In any case, this has little to nothing to do with the conspiracy theories. Most here agree on Walsh being a dodo in that game. If they were to link it to conspiracies, the highlights from the match show in the first few tackles multiple incidents where the ref should have penalised the Titans for ruck infringements and didn't. It shows how Walsh came to be frustrated with the ref initially because the ref made a call on whether Walsh played the footy, etc. But, honestly, I think most everyone agrees that the Broncos just didn't turn up (especially Cobbo) and then played silly, rushed football instead of controlled pressure-building football.

Sure, there were some dudd calls, but even @Morkel can separate between an overarching conspiracy theory and a game where Brisbane fucked themselves.

I honestly think the major bias against Broncos has been loosened because the Dolphins have come in, been successful, made the league their money and the Broncos can return to regular (television) programming. However, I don't for a second believe we will win a 50/50 call against teams like Penrith, Melbourne or South Sydney. I am also dead certain that if a game blows out early, the calls will be made to "swing momentum" even if that makes zero sense in a sport where fatigue is a huge factor and they have stated that "better teams will ultimately get more calls" or whatever.

It is an entertainment product, and the NRL demands "the closest competition ever".

I love Oatesy, but I'd have been interested to see what would have happened on that last play had it gone to a winger with a bit more toe. The cover might still have made the tackle, of course, Brimson was right there. Corey does seem a bit kick-happy lately - the one against the Sharks he arguably took the wrong decision but it paid off in the end. It's all hindsight and easy enough for an armchair winger to say from the comfort of his keyboard, but a straighter kick and we have a far better chance of scoring there.

The start of that set was atrocious, by the way. Herbie took a nothing run for no metres off the Oates play-the-ball. Haas lumbered back in towards the markers following that. Then finally Carrigan runs hard and wide to create a bit of space, and look at that, next play Reyno finds a hole for Piakura....

Should never have come down to the last play, regardless.

Don't really blame Oates much for that play.

Piakura stumbling played a big part in the play turning out the way it did, he wasn't able to get the ball away straight away and Oates had a second to catch the pass and put in a kick, he had very very little time to get it right.

Even if we had Addo-Carr on the wing, Brimson was right there and had the wing covered.

Don't really blame Oates much for that play.

Piakura stumbling played a big part in the play turning out the way it did, he wasn't able to get the ball away straight away and Oates had a second to catch the pass and put in a kick, he had very very little time to get it right.

Even if we had Addo-Carr on the wing, Brimson was right there and had the wing covered.

Nah, I think Leon Bott scores there.

As I said, easy to say for me, and I definitely am not blaming Corey. A lot of little things just didn't go quite right - all game, really - which ultimately made the difference.

This is just contrarian behaviour because the posters you don't like say the NRL have a bias against the Broncos. What happens now if it isn't thrown out? You're simply surprised? Why would you be surprised when we have such a poor history with the judiciary? I think the only time we had a positive outcome was when Hodges was allowed to play the GF in 2015. Since then, we have either simply bent over, or lost any challenge. I mean, shoot, two of our own players had a private scuffle outside a pub and got banned.

At what point do you become unsurprised? I would be surprised if Walsh is let off, to be honest. Regardless of the circumstances, it is a bad look for the game and is far worse than private scuffles over shoes. Sure, the ref may have understood the situation, but honestly, the ref should have sent Walsh off regardless. Let that be punishment enough for getting into such a situation where he may have been potentially misunderstood to have been swearing at a ref. Instead, the ref didn't react correctly and here we are. They almost HAVE to suspend Walsh now. Best case would be to say "ok, it may not have been directed at the ref, but take a week off to consider how it came to pass and how you should act differently in the future".

In any case, this has little to nothing to do with the conspiracy theories. Most here agree on Walsh being a dodo in that game. If they were to link it to conspiracies, the highlights from the match show in the first few tackles multiple incidents where the ref should have penalised the Titans for ruck infringements and didn't. It shows how Walsh came to be frustrated with the ref initially because the ref made a call on whether Walsh played the footy, etc. But, honestly, I think most everyone agrees that the Broncos just didn't turn up (especially Cobbo) and then played silly, rushed football instead of controlled pressure-building football.

Sure, there were some dudd calls, but even @Morkel can separate between an overarching conspiracy theory and a game where Brisbane fucked themselves.

I honestly think the major bias against Broncos has been loosened because the Dolphins have come in, been successful, made the league their money and the Broncos can return to regular (television) programming. However, I don't for a second believe we will win a 50/50 call against teams like Penrith, Melbourne or South Sydney. I am also dead certain that if a game blows out early, the calls will be made to "swing momentum" even if that makes zero sense in a sport where fatigue is a huge factor and they have stated that "better teams will ultimately get more calls" or whatever.

It is an entertainment product, and the NRL demands "the closest competition ever".
While I agree with most of your post the NRL can only suspend him if they believe he directed it at the ref. While I appreciate the sentiment of give him a week to think about his behaviour on the field, if you start suspending players for swearing at the opposition or team mates you won't have enough players to field a team.

While I agree with most of your post the NRL can only suspend him if they believe he directed it at the ref. While I appreciate the sentiment of give him a week to think about his behaviour on the field, if you start suspending players for swearing at the opposition or team mates you won't have enough players to field a team.
The key piece of evidence will be the referee.

If Butler believes it was directed at him, then he will be looking at time... but the extent could be up for debate, because the defence will ask him why didn't he send him off or bin him? (i.e. it's a serious allegation, but you chose at the time to not punish him accordingly... why is that)

If he penalised because of the ongoing disputing of calls despite not being the captain, then it could be inferred that he didn't believe it was directed at him.

Before the swearing Reece was saying 'I stopped' which could be in regards to him disputing the obstruction call... at which point Butler then marched him ten for arguing the call.

Realistically it could be hard for them to charge him, because the onfield actions by the ref isn't inline with a verbal directed at him.

From what I've seen I don't believe Butler was specific with Reynolds as to what Reece could be binned for "if he does it again"... was it directing a verbal at him or was it for continually arguing decisions with him... the onfield actions would suggest it is the latter. I don't believe he expanded on that and I don't recall Reynolds asking for clarification as to what "it" is.

This is just contrarian behaviour because the posters you don't like say the NRL have a bias against the Broncos. What happens now if it isn't thrown out? You're simply surprised? Why would you be surprised when we have such a poor history with the judiciary? I
We don't have a poor history with the judiciary. That's pure fantasy, a tedious conspiracy theory that's not backed up by our record this year. That horse has been flogged to death.

Walsh is defending the charge using Nick Ghabar. The club must think they have evidence to acquit him. That's the basis for me expecting him to get off. But if the ref testifies he thinks Walsh was talking to him, then he's gone. And none of us should have any objection to it. Well I certainly won't.

I don't recall Reynolds asking for clarification as to what "it" is.
This is exactly the point I’ve been worried about for few weeks. Adam simply isn’t in the Reff’s face for clarity on dubious calls they keep dishing out to us. Totally agree that he can’t question every call & argue on the field but when we’re being wrongly reffed, Adam isn’t standing up. Perhaps, it’s not him which is a ok to some extent. ☹️

Isn't contrary conduct a fairly vague and wide ranging charge, that the NRL sweep many things under.

Maybe, the judiciary are able to decide that just saying those words, regardless who they were directed at is enough to sustain the charge.

I have zero faith in the MRC, Judiciary or NRL

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Brocko
  • Mr Fourex
  • Wolfie
  • Skyblues87
  • Maddy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Manlyman
  • jd87
  • Inknition
  • broncoscope
  • Dony Eliakim
  • The Don
  • Morkel
  • KateBroncos1812
  • broncs30
  • Alec
  • Fitzy
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Justwin
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.