Round 17 - Storm vs. Broncos - Pre Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008

July 5, 2013, Friday 7:30pm
AAMI Park

With our season hanging by a thread, the Storm present a near impossible task for the struggling Broncos who will need to dust themselves quick-smart with a 5 day turn around into round 17. The Storm, also struggling for consistency and coming off two consecutive losses themselves, will be boosted by the return of Cameron Smith in their own backyard.

Last edited by a moderator:
absolutely can't see us winning. i'll be happy with the same effort and attitude that went into the warriors game but at the end of the day it will just be disappointing regardless. feels like 2012 all over again

i dont envision any changes to yesterdays team.

Last edited:
Storm will not play the same way with Smith leading the way.
I still think we could get them with the same effort as yesterday but Storm have a pretty good defence which i don't think Wallace is capable of unlocking.
Also i am worried that there could be a let down with the quick turn around for the Origin boys

Last edited:
Strangely I have no difficulty seeing Bronco victory. My belief is based on the turnaround in commitment recently coupled with a genuine desperation. The motivation is there and the ability is too. I haven't lost faith or my marbles but if there is any reward for consistent effort then winning in Melbourne is possible. Every single Bronco can see the ladder and to a man they know what's at stake.

I only hope Tasi is sent over or down to Melbourne and for Hala to get some starting minutes. Desperate times call for desperate measures so in my dreams Hala and Tasi kick off until our regulars take over. We always had big boppers during our glory days. Dowling,Lazarus,Webcke,Gee,Backo,Hohn,Civoniceva all were big guys and not necessarily mobile. Hard straight runners and the cornerstone of our game for years. We had others who did that job but really, Parker and Thaiday, M'Guire too should not be our first choices for that role.

Had extra motivation for yesterdays game and the danger is they return to the same level of commitment they have shown for most of the season.

Why couldn't Cameron Smith miss 2 weeks?? I don't see us beating the storm but will be happy with another effort like the one yesterday.

haha as if melbourne are going to play the same way they did on the weekend.

i can see them coming out of the blocks at 110mph again
Sadly, yep. It is extremely rare for Melbourne to have two bad games in a row, if that's what we're basing our optimism off we're already fucked. :laugh:

Hard to say what's more important right now, performances or wins, both in the context of right now and the bigger long term picture.

When was the last time we beat Melbourne? 2010? Surely we're due for a win against them.

I actually think we can win this one if the lads show the same effort as they did against the warriors. I also think it was a good move to remain in NZ, the less travel the better.

They've only won 3 out of their last 8, Smith is back and they love playing against us.

Storm by 26.

I can't remember the last time we beat the Storm in Melbourne to claim 2 competition points that were on the line. Plus we are on a short turnaround after flying over from NZ. And we're playing our 2013 roster.

A win is simply not happening. I'll be satisfied if we just keep showing some good signs in attack. I'd rather lose 40-20 than 16-6.

If we replicate the effort earlier this year, we can beat them.

They've lost Gareth Widdop and they're misfiring in general, so if we hold out their attack then we just need to avoid any brain fades close to the line.

I think a win is absolutely on the cards provided the same old, same old is done: mark up on Slater, kick to the corners, tackle as well as we did yesterday. Widdup is out and I believe our pack is better than theirs.

The only difference is we have less composure than they do, largely thanks to Cronk and Smith and if we lose, it will be because we panic when a try is on offer, or we hang back in defence, or we ignore our left side attack too often

Before anyone brings up Round 9, 2010 - they were missing Smith and we still had Lockyer, JYY and Folau who bagged a double.

Smith is the dude that always destroys us, and everything falls into place for them off the back of that. It's easy to direct your forwards from dummy half when the markers are just letting you waltz around them.

The Storm generally lift an extra 10-15% against us and with a short turnaround after the heartbreak of NZ, I am thinking that this could be another dark evening. The Storm know exactly how to beat us and they are a side thinking about a second straight title, we are side trying to stay out of the cellar. Will be nothing less than a 20 pt victory for Melb.

Smith is the dude that always destroys us, and everything falls into place for them off the back of that. It's easy to direct your forwards from dummy half when the markers are just letting you waltz around them.

Then we know what has to happen to the coaching staff. They can join Norman in a certain chair that lights up the empty cave on their shoulders

Status
Not open for further replies.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.