Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Love these shots. I was raging at most of these, especially the one in the corner where they held on, and on, and on. And yet on the other side of the ball, F"King" Gutho half stands up and flails to the ground wiggling like an electrocuted fish and a 6-again is blown immediately.

That Gutherson penalty was weak .
Milked it hard . OK King have a leg up .

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
The great thing too is you would think fringe players would see what the likes of Martin, Gamble, Kelly, Jensen, Hoeter, Lee, Periera, Walters etc have achieved at the club and it would give them confidence that this is a place you go to if you are trying to Reignite your career.

There has been such a clear path to the NRL via Q Cup and the broncos that guys like Jensen, who’s output is greater than their current perceived value, will be happy to take a punt at getting the opportunity to display their ability.

This is what the storm has done well for years and it’s why they get such great deals on the undervalued players.

Makes it easier for your feeder clubs too- if they are trying to recruit the Martins of the world they can say you will get a pre-season at Broncos and Kevvie and Ikin are keen to have you and you can point to the previous signings that have played NRL at Brisbane.

Empowers the feeder clubs to do a good job.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
294030710 5646103865437351 1689778802718370067 n

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Ye I know, read that in the newspaper. He brought walker into the official squad too. Neither walker or mam will get a shot unless 2/3 of this year's halves used are injured, retire (dce) and/or are in such bad form it they are getting dropped from an underperformed nrl team.
I understand it, it just always seems to be broncos players who are hamstrung by this.

FFS mate .
You are a wet blanket . Fortune teller . Can you tell me this week`s lotto numbers too ?

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I'd like to give a special mention to Kotoni Staggs for this play in the final minute of the game.

View attachment 19293

The game is almost over, most players would just give up on it - we know the Broncos of the past two or three seasons definitely would. Blake is over for a try for all money here - he's split the defenders, Pereira is facing the opposite direction and has to turn, and Staggs is behind the man and the ball. Yet, he somehow manages to get a grab on him and uses his body strength to twist and hold him up.

A couple of other players came in and assisted, but Staggs did all the work there. I thought it was a phenomenal effort at a point in the match where nothing much really mattered anymore. It demonstrates the shift in attitude of this team - the newfound focus on defence and playing for the full 80 minutes.

Keep it up, boys.

There needs to be a royal commission into what happened down Pereira's side last night. It probably wasn't all his fault. In case anyone missed it, Jordan Riki went off injured (hamstring, possibly) in the 50th minute, yet still topped the tackle count. Have a look at these numbers for the left and right. It's clear they targeted his side.

Oates was lauded for his defence last night, but he didn't have anywhere near the workload. I suspect Riki going off upset the apple cart and threw the structure out of whack.

Tackles, Missed, Ineffective

Niu: 6, 0, 0

Pereira: 11, 2, 2
Staggs: 20, 2, 3
Riki (50 minutes): 31, 1, 0

Oates: 4, 1, 2
Lee: 11, 1, 1
Capewell: 26, 6, 4

Turpin (40 minutes): 21, 1, 1
Paix (40 minutes): 21, 1, 5

Carrigan (60 minutes): 31, 3, 0
Haas (60 minutes): 29, 2, 1
Flegler (52 minutes): 21, 1, 3

Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
The media (and the ex-player "experts") have got this whole inside/outside shoulder thing confused. That only matters in the context of which gap the decoy runs into - if it's inside, the defender isn't obstructed from following the pass across field and thus is play-on. You can't knock the defender over, full stop - unless of course the defender is the one forcing the contact i.e. making a tackle.

I've only come across three articles about the game so far. All three are whinging about this obviously correct decision.
The funny part was they kept saying things to the effect of "I know it's in the rules, but"

It's in the rules. They acknowledge it's correct, but don't "like" it. Obstruction / runners going through the line has been a point of contention for a vast period of time in rugby league. Not to mention, in this instance, the defenders standing to the right of Reyno had to second guess if the ball would switch back inside with less cover defense moving over which stood them up a little instead of going full pelt to the side line.

Intefering with the defence is exactly that. Build a bridge you sour NSW *****.

Skathen

Skathen

NRL Player
Contributor
Feb 25, 2015
There needs to be a royal commission into what happened down Pereira's side last night. It probably wasn't all his fault. In case anyone missed it, Jordan Riki went off injured (hamstring, possibly) in the 50th minute, yet still topped the tackle count. Have a look at these numbers for the left and right. It's clear they targeted his side.

Oates was lauded for his defence last night, but he didn't have anywhere near the workload. I suspect Riki going off upset the apple cart and threw the structure out of whack.

1) Sivo
2) Sivo
3) Sivo
4) Make Reynolds work harder.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Big thing for me last night was how well we stopped the offload. Parra are very good in this area and usually we are very poor in stopping the offload.

I know conditions weren't great for it but it was actually a pretty expansive game despite the conditions, so I thought our efforts in wrapping the ball up were excellent.

Last few years I would be yelling at the TV ,wrap up the ball carrying arm !
Been much more efficient at it this season . I can see tacklers very deliberately putting hands on the ball to make the ball carrier want to keep it secured .

But that run around last night made me flash back to Sterlo in the 80s .
Love a good run around I do .

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Exactly. Simple play is to run straight at and a bit to the right of fullback. Draw & pass left. Try.

Cover was coming up on his right .
When he hit the clear Ezra was not in the frame . So he tried to get around Gutherson .
Nek minute here comes Ezra like Hussain Bolt . But a beat too late .

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010

Yeah I think last night highlights that we may need to reconsider who we have on the bench that can cover middle and 2nd row. Palasia is great value in the middle but not cut out for the edge.

If there are no injuries he only plays 10-15 minutes. Surely we could use Piakura or Hoskings off the bench for 10 minutes if nothing goes wrong. Having a second rower on the bench would also let Capewell shift around if there are injuries to backs.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
I also think Ezra is more dangerous - right now - than Dearden and Walker. But both, especially Tommy are more mature, and that matters in Origin. It's the same argument I'm having with everyone about Selwyn. Right now, I would rather have Ezra over Tommy D at 6 for the Broncos, but I'd pick Dearden in Origin, because he's less likely to get rattled under pressure. Likewise, I'd have picked Oates over Cobbo, especially game 3. Next year, would be another matter.

If the competition is between Ezra, Tommy and Sam next year, he's every chance.

Yeah Lindsey Collin`s head wasn`t ready for Origin either .
Prone to being KO`d under massive impacts to the cranium .
He had us fooled the previous years he played .

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Yeah I think last night highlights that we may need to reconsider who we have on the bench that can cover middle and 2nd row. Palasia is great value in the middle but not cut out for the edge.

If there are no injuries he only plays 10-15 minutes. Surely we could use Piakura or Hoskings off the bench for 10 minutes if nothing goes wrong. Having a second rower on the bench would also let Capewell shift around if there are injuries to backs.
Hoskings, probably. He did a better job in the last two weeks than what we had last night. Robati for the Roosters match, if he's ready. He adds a bit of spark there as well.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
Mind you that disallowed Parra try was the most blatant obstruction I've seen. Can't believe it wasn't pulled up live
Even if you want to argue that it was the ‘inside shoulder’ as Arthur did in the presser, in what world can the lead runner, run nearly 20m not even come close to touching the ball and then drop the shoulder into a defender, and smash him back 3 metres, without that being foul play?

Are we watching NRL or NFL?

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Hoskings, probably. He did a better job in the last two weeks than what we had last night. Robati for the Roosters match, if he's ready. He adds a bit of spark there as well.

I thought Capewell was very good ?

If Riki is out Hoskins probably grabs the spot .
TC has been good on the left . But cardio might be an issue if he has been on no contact training . Interested to see if Hoskins is as useful on the right side .

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I thought Capewell was very good ?

If Riki is out Hoskins probably grabs the spot .
TC has been good on the left . But cardio might be an issue if he has been on no contact training . Interested to see if Hoskins is as useful on the right side .
You're right. I meant after Riki went off. Hosking subbed on the other side for Capewell. I imagine cardio fitness would have to be factored into his recovery time.

Volvo Driver

Volvo Driver

QCup Player
Jul 9, 2020
For some reason I am just really happy for Oates. Has to be one of the biggest turnarounds in form as he was pretty much unwanted last year. Was even dropped by the NOVA FM morning crew because he was doing so poorly!

Currently the second highest try scorer in the comp and back to getting an Origin call up. Good work my man! just as vital as his try scoring is his kick returns. He probably makes more post contact meters then anyone else in the comp.

The only thing he could add to his game is the big "don't argue" fend. His arms are long enough! Especially when he's running down the sideline.

Active Now

• Santa
  • Mister Wright
  • Hurrijo
  • Bish
  • Harry Sack
  • porouian
  • Morepudding
  • Big Del
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Dash
  • Justwin
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.