Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
well lets see ...

our left side defense has been a problem all year

we have had a revolving door at the left center position

could it be that there is a defensive issue with the player playing just inside them ... I wonder who that could be? while that player is defending there, no amount of positional changes will help, the left center is always going to be concerned about covering this players man as well as his own
Milford has always been a turnstile, he's just been a rusty turnstile lately! He is a truly poor defender but Kodi Nikorima makes him look like Gillmeister. Milford let in a dreadful try last week, he had Isaac side on , looking away with absolutely no defence against being tackled and as Milford came in, with 8-10 metres of clearance to the tryline he grabbed at Isaacs shoulders and upper body. A regulation, shoulder drive into Isaacs waist, wrapping the arms around would have stopped him dead. It was piss poor.

Milford has always been a turnstile, he's just been a rusty turnstile lately! He is a truly poor defender but Kodi Nikorima makes him look like Gillmeister. Milford let in a dreadful try last week, he had Isaac side on , looking away with absolutely no defence against being tackled and as Milford came in, with 8-10 metres of clearance to the tryline he grabbed at Isaacs shoulders and upper body. A regulation, shoulder drive into Isaacs waist, wrapping the arms around would have stopped him dead. It was piss poor.
You're spot on, it was painful to watch. I know his defence is not great but that instance was a genuine time to make sure what he was capable of was enough. Instead he slackened off.

Now that Isaako re-signing is official, hopefully he has a blinder this week and wins us the game.
I must have been sleeping. When did they announce Isaako re-signing?

Mate, i honestly wouldnt have a clue how it all would work. I've just heard a whisper that if this move to the centers isnt successful, walking away is a serious option for him.
I had a feeling the move to centre would have been more about Boyds form rather than fixing a 'leaking' left side.

Bennett has failed to move Boyd from the back for a while now, even with Boyds form being down, and clearly not being 100% fit, and other players capable of filling the position.

It will be very interesting to see how Boyd responds to this [emoji848]

I must have been sleeping. When did they announce Isaako re-signing?

It was first announced last night and the Broncos just confirmed it on social media about 20 minutes ago.

Well he wasn't the only one - there were very few gut tackles, and a whole lot of arm grabbing from everyone. Milford's defence in general isn't as poor as you make out, he's improved his defence quite a bit, and put on some awesome defensive shots this year. I agree with the 'lately' part though - and this is in large part due to him having to make tackles that he shouldn't have to make. I cringe when I see our left side defence sliding, it's almost a guaranteed try against us. He's a capable defender, provided we don't have to do a mountain of defence, then he comes a liability, as a large number of halves do.

I had a feeling the move to centre would have been more about Boyds form rather than fixing a 'leaking' left side.

Bennett has failed to move Boyd from the back for a while now, even with Boyds form being down, and clearly not being 100% fit, and other players capable of filling the position.

It will be very interesting to see how Boyd responds to this [emoji848]

I think it could also be to protect his hamstrings to a certain extent. Wont have to do the running at center he does at fullback

Well he wasn't the only one - there were very few gut tackles, and a whole lot of arm grabbing from everyone. Milford's defence in general isn't as poor as you make out, he's improved his defence quite a bit, and put on some awesome defensive shots this year. I agree with the 'lately' part though - and this is in large part due to him having to make tackles that he shouldn't have to make. I cringe when I see our left side defence sliding, it's almost a guaranteed try against us. He's a capable defender, provided we don't have to do a mountain of defence, then he comes a liability, as a large number of halves do.

When has arm grabbing ever worked and when do players even get taught to arm grab? It's just so dumb to even think to do it.

When has arm grabbing ever worked and when do players even get taught to arm grab? It's just so dumb to even think to do it.

It's a sign of being tired and over worked at training. This side has put on fairly epic defensive displays here and there, but consistency is the issue. Our defence in 2015 was epic, pretty much week in, week out. Fatigue plays it's part, something I don't think the Milf bashers take into account sometimes.

Last edited:
It's a sign of being tired and over worked at training. This side has put on fairly epic defensive displays here and there, but consistency is the issue. Our defence in 2015 was epic, pretty much week in, week out. Fatigue plays it's part, something I don't think the Milf bashers take into account sometimes.
There's a new excuse for Milford, well done.

There's a new excuse for Milford, well done.

Being tired? Having to make tackles he shouldn't have to? I'm glad you've identified yourself as a Milford basher, finally. So he's supposed to run the totality of attack (with a useless halfback, and a vision-less hooker) and be a gun defender too?

Being tired? Having to make tackles he shouldn't have to? I'm glad you've identified yourself as a Milford basher, finally. So he's supposed to run the totality of attack (with a useless halfback, and a vision-less hooker) and be a gun defender too?
Tackles that he shouldn't have to make? What's he supposed to do if someone runs at him? Move aside and hope someone else makes the tackle?

Tired players are symptomatic of poor game management and poor form overall.
As I have said before, we have the forwards to dominate our opponents (when not injured ) , we just need to play to our strengths.
We are a team now for whom field position and possession are vital to success. The small forwards of the past are on the way out and the likes of lodge, Tevita and Offa can really do some damage now.

Tackles that he shouldn't have to make? What's he supposed to do if someone runs at him? Move aside and hope someone else makes the tackle?

He's made plenty of great try saving tackles - but constantly his inside defender lets him down and he's trying to stop a rampaging player far too close to the line. He's not a great defender by nature (as I said, few halves are) - but he is constantly let down on his own line by his team mates.

Well, you're entitled to that opinion but for years Milford has been very very ordinary in my opinion. I think his defence is better this year and certainly an improvement over his career efforts but I call him just good enough now.

We all no Milf's biggest excuse. The rest are sorta irelevent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.