Round 19 - Broncos vs Warriors - Build Up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much.
I'm all for McGuires good form being rewarded, but Hannant has been just as good.

Doesn't really matter who starts though, as long as Petro is the one getting the least minutes.

The Hannant move is interesting.

I believe it's been done for these reasons.

1. Pre-caution. Hannant has been suffering from an injury lately and Hook probably doesn't want him doing the early exchanges.

2. It allows him to play 50-60 consecutive minutes.

Gillett starting defending next to Norman gives me the shivers.

Well, if there's ever a time to gain/regain form, this is it. Gillett wanted to be in the run-on side and now is his chance to learn from his mistakes and really shine.

I remember a few great patches of form shown by him as well as the bad - some strong defence and good cover defence .... (and yes, the bad reads too.) I hope he comes good, especially his support play.

I am hoping for some nice set plays involving Macca, Norman and Wallace and our back rowers in their red zone.

As for Norman, he's had long enough to know what's expected of him, and what's at stake.

I'm looking forward to those 2 really lifting, and Maguire's impact as starting prop.

I reckon Glenn's recent form and experience is also an excellent reason for him playing in the centres.

Broncos by 8 or 28

Last edited:
hannant is a legend and it wont affect him, coming off the bench. he showed in origin that he has great impact from the bench. mcguire deserves the call up and i dont think they should have petero anywhere but starting the game.

Hannant has probably been our best forward over the entire season, not just the last 5 or 6 weeks. Dunno why they are afraid to bench Petero.

Two little things - balance and impact.

Petero sets a platform, he doesn't thrive against tired players. He does the hard work early.

McGuire has shown his best work is over 60+ minutes.

Hannant showed in the Origin series that he can keep momentum going or turn it in our favour from the bench.

Being put on the bench doesn't mean you're the worst front rower in the side. It's about finding a balance and finding what would work best for the team over 80 minutes.

Yep I'd say that Petero will go off after 20 minutes, with Hannant replacing him; both Hannant and McGuire will play out the first half and get the rest of half-time without needing an interchange. I think that Hannant will be replaced by Petero around the 60 minute mark, and at around 65-70 minutes McGuire will probably come off and either Hannant or Dodds will be the replacement (depending on how the game is going).

It definitely is a better prop rotation if you take the full 80 minute approach rather than who should be 'starting'. Also, I'd say Parker, Thaiday and Teo all rotate into prop during different times of the game.

looking at the points table, this appears to be a very important game for our season. If we lose we could find ourselves 2 points away from 9th spot after the weekend...

I'm particularly interested in how Corey Norman approaches this game. So far this year he has been reluctant to run against sides with a reputation for being physical.

Also I hope Griffin tells Parker to keep playing with the offloads like he did in origin, that bit of second phase from him won us the game.

I'm particularly interested in how Corey Norman approaches this game. So far this year he has been reluctant to run against sides with a reputation for being physical.

Also I hope Griffin tells Parker to keep playing with the offloads like he did in origin, that bit of second phase from him won us the game.

Yeah for sure - will be very interesting to see how Norman handles this game. If he chokes then we are in big trouble to make it far in the finals... hopefully he has a good game.

Hannant off the bench is fine as others have pointed out. Civo can handle the hard clashes at the start with MacGuire and as others also pointed out, Hannah had a really big impact coming fresh off the bench in Origin. I think he (Hannant) will be in for a big game.

Any more Ben's in the broncos side and they might have to rename the team... lol surely wouldn't be calling each other on a first name basis

Going to be a very physical match, as it always is with the Warriors - just hope for no injuries!!! As we are just one of those teams that seems to be so prone to injury!

EDIT: Weather forecast said Brisbane will have it's heaviest rain of the week on Friday / Saturday - 50mm. This would be a pretty big advantage for the Warriors in my opinion (Broncos will need to have some one have their 'Locky head' on for the night...)

Last edited:
I think the rain sort of helps us. People will disagree I'm sure, but I think if the Warriors play their best game then we are powerless to stop them from winning. Hell, I don't believe that anybody in the comp can beat the Warriors at their best. However, they rarely play their best and are prone to poor discipline and even poorer ball control. The rain neither helps the Warriors play their best or improve their ball control and it increases the risk of a Mateo or Matulino offload, so I'm actually all for it.

And it helps if players get it into their heads that when Parker, Thaiday run, and our props, they go up in support in numbers, ready to take the offload and do something with it.

Norman needs to look what's around n think before he decides to run.

I think the rain sort of helps us. People will disagree I'm sure, but I think if the Warriors play their best game then we are powerless to stop them from winning. Hell, I don't believe that anybody in the comp can beat the Warriors at their best. However, they rarely play their best and are prone to poor discipline and even poorer ball control. The rain neither helps the Warriors play their best or improve their ball control and it increases the risk of a Mateo or Matulino offload, so I'm actually all for it.

I agree about the weather, but I disagree about your view on the Warriors. At our best, at least I have seen it this and last season, our defence can be very special and shut down any attack, barring miracle plays. They just need to be switched on, keep the line straight, have good line speed, and dominate up the middle - and be ready to cover a run off an inside pass switch/of direction.

The Warriors are good against sides with poor line structure and line speed. When a team is in their face, that's when they stutter. If we stand back in defence and let them come to us, they will cut us to shreds but only because we let them.

The key is also to cut down space and time for Johnson and Maloney, and to really spot Mateo. There's a lot on Thaiday's shoulders in this one.

But of course, I'm sure Griffin knows and wants all that. The question is: does the team?

Last edited:
They are now only predicting showers for tomorrow. The heavy rain will be here on Saturday.

I heard we are fielding our full-strength team tommorow.

Jharal Yow Yeh & Jack Reed are playing?

WOW!!! the seventh operation was a miracle!

I heard them say that on the Game Plan too, Broncoman. I think they just meant we have all our origin players back on deck. Of course Reed, Yow Yeh, Hala and Anderson are still on the injured list. Latter 2 you could argue wouldn't make the top 17 anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Wild Horse
  • GCBRONCO
  • Skathen
  • pennywisealfie
  • Bucking Beads
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • ivanhungryjak
  • leon.bott
  • Battler
  • Broncorob
  • Browny
  • mrslong
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • lynx000
  • Maddy
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.