PRE-GAME Round 3 - Broncos vs Bulldogs

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Yeah he's very good. Matterson and Ryan love his defence. Think his hooker days appear over, no one wants to play him there.
Ball playing 13? Radley type maybe? I never have a chance to watch, which is why I ask.

Ball playing 13? Radley type maybe? I never have a chance to watch, which is why I ask.

I have never seen ball playing- versatile and good tackler. But see what today brings.

Hope for the Dogs game Asiata will start at 13, Move Carrigan to starting Prop and start Flegs on the bench.

Watched the game again. So pissed off .... Can't understand why we would start giving up, or a "mass exodus of young promising players" when the very reason we are losing is that nearly everyone is playing like shit, particularly in defence. What do they expect? Going to another club and thereby miraculously finding form because of that, especially given that our new coach, our saviour, is doing his best to reinvigorate these self indulgent, piss weak surrenders when the going gets tough?

Those promising young and not so young players who just can't see that for example, not moving up and into an attacking player is the only way to stop him rather than sideways shuffles and arm grabs, or leaving the goal line defence to the bloke next to you while you contemplate whether it's worthwhile lending a hand? What other club would want them when they simply can't do the basics, and a shit coach is no longer a convenient excuse?

Perhaps the sense of entitlement hasn't quite yet been removed by Kevvie and it's about time he starts being a lot harder on this mob.

As for Milford, he seems to have lost all desire to play to his abilities. His defence against the Titans was pathetic, and he looks lost, or confused or bored or all of the above. Anyway, even as one of his most ardent admirers, I reckon at this rate, he won't be, or shouldn't be in this side for too much longer unless there is serious turnaround in his form.

Unless there is significant change this week, Bulldogs by 20
I wonder what happens in that brain of yours! You say 'nearly everyone is playing like shit in defence '. Okay but how is it that the Titans and the Broncos missed exactly 31 tackles each and MILFORD WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR 5 OF THEM!!!!
You must be kidding, surely!

Piss weak surrenders!Aside from Milford I never saw that and I was there live and have reviewed it in detail. It's clear to me now, you simply have no idea. These guys busted a gut out there and kept trying right up until stumps. Yes, Milford, Nui and Asiata have a bit to answer for in defence and of course Milford failed in both departments but to say the rest of the team ' entitled or self indulgent' is utterly ridiculous.

As a fan, you are a knowledge-less disgrace.

Hope for the Dogs game Asiata will start at 13, Move Carrigan to starting Prop and start Flegs on the bench.
Not for mine. Carrigan is pretty useful but I'd rather use Flegs and Kennedy as battering rams and then get TPJ and Carrigan in to the game. For a big bloke Carrigan is pretty light on his feet and for me at least I think both his and TPJs effectiveness is blunted by doing the first 20 minutes of grunt work.

The reasoning is the defence is fresh and it's the part of the game where props make the least impact. By that I mean they tend to cancel each other out. In the opening 20 we just need metres and tackles and TPJ and Carrigan have more than those rudimentary skills.

I’m not sure. I was one of John’s biggest advocates when his signing was announced and I still think he can be a real point of difference in attack but I have some concerns about his game since he’s been here. I think there’s some deficiencies that I didn’t notice at the cows.

Suspect Walters will be bringing Oates back from the cold soon. Easily the standout in the shittiest conditions I've ever seen. Dearden scored two tries, Paix scored and put in some monster hits, Kelly was solid, Khunt will be better for the run. But the ball was too slippery to judge anyone really.

Last edited:
Suspect Walters will be bringing Oates back from the cold soon. Easily the standout in the shittiest conditions I've ever seen. Dearden scored two tries, Paix scored and put in some monster hits, Kelly was solid, Khunt will be better for the run. But the ball was too slippery to judge anyone really.
I was impressed with the amount of talk and organising Hunt was doing in defence.

Great responses by Dearden, Oates and Paix to being sent back to intrust.

Any streams still up or highlights at least?

I was impressed with the amount of talk and organising Hunt was doing in defence.

Great responses by Dearden, Oates and Paix to being sent back to intrust.
I agree k hunt running hard and straight ...fell off 2 tackles but got better with time good passing game set oates up who started a bit slow but showed good hands in pissing rain and determined charges into the line ... deardon controlled things well confident kicking game and only a couple of stray passes ... paix looked super sharp with his service and picked his running moments well held the middle with some good shoulder tackles admittedly it was pretty slow going in pissing rain ...the boys attitude was really good and tried their guts out for the magpies even kelly looked in good touch in his best game back in oz so far ...look out milf deardon looks hungry and able

Hetherington really impressed me in the game, ran well and with purpose. I think he needs a good run of games before you’d consider bringing him up to NRL, but good to know we have options there.

Paix was pretty good too, still developing on engaging the defenders out of dummy half but promising.

dearden was assertive and looked sharp considering the atrocious conditions. Karmichael ran a good line to set up a try and was impressive in defence and out of trouble. I would consider him for centre once he’s got a few more games under his belt, moving one of Herbie or Tesi to fullback and dropping Isaako. I don’t think Oates has done enough to unseat Mead yet. Based on this game though Dearden will come into the team to play the dogs, hopefully for Milford but probably for Croft.

Can i say something controversial; can these guys play a few other weeks of footy at this level? I reckon it would prove very benficial for them, maybe they can get some combos worked out at this level and bring it into the team..?

I know we are desperate, but for their long term devleopment, this is what a lot of them needed last year...

Can i say something controversial; can these guys play a few other weeks of footy at this level? I reckon it would prove very benficial for them, maybe they can get some combos worked out at this level and bring it into the team..?

I know we are desperate, but for their long term devleopment, this is what a lot of them needed last year...
100% I agree. I think that is the plan.

Hetherington really impressed me in the game, ran well and with purpose. I think he needs a good run of games before you’d consider bringing him up to NRL, but good to know we have options there.

Paix was pretty good too, still developing on engaging the defenders out of dummy half but promising.

dearden was assertive and looked sharp considering the atrocious conditions. Karmichael ran a good line to set up a try and was impressive in defence and out of trouble. I would consider him for centre once he’s got a few more games under his belt, moving one of Herbie or Tesi to fullback and dropping Isaako. I don’t think Oates has done enough to unseat Mead yet. Based on this game though Dearden will come into the team to play the dogs, hopefully for Milford but probably for Croft.
I'd be inclined to let the lot of them stew a few more weeks. I want to see a dry weather match where they stick out like dogs' balls as slumming it in the wrong grade. The sides were pretty evenly matched tbh, and seeing Tanah Boyd lining up for Burleigh gives you an idea of the Titan's depth.

I don't think it would do Dearden any harm at all to be under Karmichael Hunt's armpit for a while. I thought both he and Paix made some rookie choices on occasion. Dearden's try from his own grubber was arsey, and his other was thanks to Kelly. A more experienced half would've played to the conditions rather than rely on his usual game. Most of his kicks close to the line failed to come off simply because it's not how to play wet weather football. The ball doesn't bounce in the same way. It's difficult to pick up.

I don't know if the team has a place for Hunt. He might be too slow for the modern game, or simply too old. But, if we could squeeze him in, he might be the nearest we could get to our own Cameron Smith style proxy coach barking orders to the inside backs. Which holy **** is what we desperately need.

The most obvious position for him would be dummy half in attack, but he's not playing there now, so it doesn't look like anyone else is thinking that way. It's not going to happen is the short answer.

Last edited:

Active Now

• FACTHUNT
  • Financeguy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • thenry
  • Hurrijo
  • Skathen
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Bish
  • BooKhaki
  • BroncosAlways
  • Locky24
  • Aldo
  • Sproj
  • eggstar10
  • cento
  • Old Mate
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.