Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
So the penalty where Smith took the quick tap ran into matulino and fell on the ground was warranted as was the resulting sin bin.

Mataulino was off-side made no attempt to get on-side and the sin-binning was as a result of repeated penalties being incurred not soley that one incident. With the amount they gave away the ztigers are lucky they only got one player sin-binned.

Last edited:
Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
the tactics adopted by the tigers were melbourne storm tactics - only difference is when smith and the storm lay around the ruck and slow the play the ball down they somehow get away with it.

Like I said, they went crazy and broke the rules. Now I agree the Storm are treated differently, but that is another argument.

T

talanoa

NRL Player
Jan 16, 2014
Watching the highlights did Smith even get touched lol

nope he just fell over, and if you look clearly i reckon matulino had just got back the 10 metres from where smith tapped the ball to where he just fell over.
just another case of reputation ruling the decision

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Mataulino was off-side made no attempt to get on-side and the sin-binning was as a result of repeated penalties being incurred not soley that one incident. With the amount they gave away the ztigers are lucky they only got one player sin-binned.
Matulino didn't even attempt to tackle him though Smith tapped it ran into his back and fell over for the penalty.

N

Number6

QCup Player
May 21, 2016
The problem with this is that it opens up a whole new can of worms.

Players deliberately milking penalties so the defending team are disadvantaged. We'll see milking taken to a whole new level and it will just ruin the contest rather than improve it.

True, got no problem with penalties and sin bin for milking penalties + judiciary for bringing game into disrepute. Going to be a lot that get away with it but punish those incidents including player, coach and club that are blatant very harshly to make it too risky. One month off for player a week for the coach and a huge fine for the club will change a lot. Repeated offences and club gets docked points. It’s essentially cheating.

Also bad look for the game and sets example of dishonesty. Not a huge fan of treating players as role models but behaviour on the field needs to set better example to young players.

Players already milk penalties which will always be there a bit but want diving and lying stamped out in general before we become football.

Problem is need fairness and integrity in the policing and judiciary. Not got faith in that part...

Last edited:
L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
It amazes me how little an impact people in the media, and even on here, think bird will make. He hasn't even been talked about in the top 10 recruits for people and his comeback isn't being talked about at all outside Brisbane broncos fans. Incredible if you ask me. Sharks don't win the premiership in 2016 without him, it's no coincidence the sharks started dropping in form when he got injured last year, before he even signed for Brisbane I was always most worried about when he came on in origin. He's arrogant and aggressive on the field, he has a confidence we haven't seen at he broncos since hodges, he's exactly what we need. As we've seen in the difference from round 1 to round 2 in our games, attitude is everything. I don't expect him to hit the ground running due to his injury but he will win us games over the next 4 years we had no right to win, it's that simple.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I'm excited about our prospects this year and Tweety is going to lift us. Everyone seems to have forgotten him, you're right . He will be a tremendous buy as long as he stays injury free.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
The Tigers are in a good spot at the moment and I for one would like us to be in that spot to. Sure their attack is not great, but that can be easily fixed and worked on. Their defence though is a class act. They are all turning up for each other at the moment. Beating the Roosters and Storm is no joke in back to back weeks. We should not dare underestimate them this weekend. They have already shown that they don't give an inch on the field. They have fully deserved both their wins too. They haven't been flukes. They have turned a corner in a big way this year

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
The Tigers are in a good spot at the moment and I for one would like us to be in that spot to. Sure their attack is not great, but that can be easily fixed and worked on. Their defence though is a class act. They are all turning up for each other at the moment. Beating the Roosters and Storm is no joke in back to back weeks. We should not dare underestimate them this weekend. They have already shown that they don't give an inch on the field. They have fully deserved both their wins too. They haven't been flukes. They have turned a corner in a big way this year
The Broncos can't afford to underestimate anyone especially with their current roster. They don't have a lineup that jumps out at you and screams that it is significantly better than any team in the comp. Wests will be confident because the Broncs aren't considered a competition heavyweight and having incredibly defeated the two best teams in the comp, their confidence will be high. Benji and Brooks will be licking their lips in anticipation in exposing the many Bronco weaknesses. Having said that, if Milford fires and the forwards decide to turn up, the Broncos should prevail. Wests won't make the playoffs and the Broncos will most likely be in the mix. But these early season games are dangerous and we are never sure these days which Bronco team will show up. Hopefully it's the one that dominated the Cowboys and if it is, the Broncos will improve to 2-1.

Purple Pills

Purple Pills

NRL Player
Jul 13, 2017
Quietly confident we will win. We never lose at Campbelltown and I hopefully Tigers have used up all their luck in the first 2 weeks not to mention we get the extra day turnaround after the Tigers defended themselves to a standstill. Reckon we can catch them on the hop in the first half and do the damage in the first 40. As good as the Tigers defense has been, they also have never looked like scoring points much either. They’ve only scored 2 tries in 2 games and both have come in the last 2 mins of the games and the Thompson try in Round 1 was an in and away that came out of absolutely nothing and was horrendous defending on the wing by the Roosters. The fact they’ve beaten both Roosters and Storm works in our favour a little as we shouldn’t be bringing an inch of complacency down to Sydney.

If I’m Bennett, I’m getting the boys to come out guns blazing in the first 20 and put the pressure straight back onto the Tigers attack to score points and play catch up. I also think unless Bird is 100% ready I think the Titans game next week at home is the ideal game to ease him back in.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
We should be good here but it's going to be a real hard slog, as aforementioned by others Tigers don't give away anything cheaply (apart from penalties and players in the bin). Their backs are nothing special so as long as we keep to our structure we should be able to outpoint them.

Should be a real armwrestle, unless they have a bit of a hangover which is entirely possible. You don't beat the Roosters and the Storm in back to back weeks without having some collateral damage.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
All things being equal we should win... I worry that the tigs are the feel good story of the early season and some creative refereeing may keep them close.

We really need to take it out of the refs hands this game and blow them off the park.

We leave things in the balance far too often by trying to grind away a 10 point lead when that's not what we are.

L

Lockysillegitimatechild

State of Origin Rep
Apr 10, 2015
The Broncos can't afford to underestimate anyone especially with their current roster. They don't have a lineup that jumps out at you and screams that it is significantly better than any team in the comp. Wests will be confident because the Broncs aren't considered a competition heavyweight and having incredibly defeated the two best teams in the comp, their confidence will be high. Benji and Brooks will be licking their lips in anticipation in exposing the many Bronco weaknesses. Having said that, if Milford fires and the forwards decide to turn up, the Broncos should prevail. Wests won't make the playoffs and the Broncos will most likely be in the mix. But these early season games are dangerous and we are never sure these days which Bronco team will show up. Hopefully it's the one that dominated the Cowboys and if it is, the Broncos will improve to 2-1.
Whilst I agree you can never take a team lightly because any team can beat any team, you're not seriously suggesting our roster is anywhere near the level of the titans, bulldogs and Souths? And whilst they are going great guns now Newcastle and wests are currently punching well above their weight compared to the rosters they have, fair play to them. Agree that we can't take them lightly though, this may be a harder game then either of the first 2 judging by the form and confidence they played with against the storm and the roosters. But let's hope they think that lowly of our squad so they don't bring that intensity...

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
Whilst I agree you can never take a team lightly because any team can beat any team, you're not seriously suggesting our roster is anywhere near the level of the titans, bulldogs and Souths? And whilst they are going great guns now Newcastle and wests are currently punching well above their weight compared to the rosters they have, fair play to them. Agree that we can't take them lightly though, this may be a harder game then either of the first 2 judging by the form and confidence they played with against the storm and the roosters. But let's hope they think that lowly of our squad so they don't bring that intensity...
I did say "significantly better". I agree that we have a better roster than the teams you mentioned but that doesn't necessarily convert to a victory and it certainly isn't significantly better. It has the potential to be but all sides have potential. One advantage those other sides have is that they actually have a #7 which is our one major downfall and one that will continually to dog us until the situation is remedied. On paper, the Broncos should beat Wests and I am confident they will especially if our firepower is even half as potent as the NQ match.

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
We need the forwards to repeat what they did, Macca to do what he does, and our backs to work to a plan. Beyond that, an improvement to our kicking game would be nice, but realistically it's a long term project.
The big thing is to work to set up the kick in general play. It's easy to do when the pack dominates, but requires a little more planning in the kind of contests we are used to. I'd love to see two kickers set to receive at every end of set. Then if the defenders rush the there is someone set that little deeper who can at least put it the right direction (preferably not maguire, thaiday etc.)

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Lodge VS Packer. Redemption Round! I wonder what side the media will choose to support

Active Now

• Strop
  • lakers133334
  • kat00
  • Spoon
  • pennywisealfie
  • broncsgoat
  • Sproj
  • BroncosAlways
  • TwoLeftFeet
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.