PRE-GAME [Round 4, 2024] Broncos vs Cowboys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oates on the bench ?
Does he train as a utility ?
I'm thinking he trains at anywhere Kevvie puts him. If we lose another back this week without a bench backup we'll have the same clusterfuck of 2nd rowers being exploited to death.
At a pinch Oates can give a forward a spell for 10 minutes before I reckon he'd be gassed.

Ok well I am having a stressful day at work, so just putting this here to help with anxiety, a team list is a refreshing thing!

1. Sailor
2. Arthars
3. Staggs
4. Cobbo
5. Mariner
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Jensen
9. Smoothy (Walters needs a rocket, see how he responds to a swap)
10. Willison (Just for this game, I think his punch could be fantastic in the early exchanges and he can come back fresh in the back end of the game to terrorise their tired middle)
11. Piakura
12. Riki (Really need him to step up)
13. Carrigan (Please, please play him less minutes, we cannot burn him out)

14. Walters
15. Hetherington (We could start him instead of Willison too)
16. Baker (I know he will likely start but I wouldn't be starting him)
17. Oates (Well let's get the experiment happening and see how it goes)

I just desperately want us to sign a bench forward/centre.

Brodie Jones?

Can cover second row, middle, centre and can spend long term on an edge if injuries force it. Not cracking the Knights side currently and they have at least 5 second row options on the top of my head in Frizz, KPP, Lucas, Cartwright and Brodie (a 6th in Elliott’s versatility despite starting at 13). Cartwright was named ahead of both Lucas and Brodie before swapping with Lucas this round. Seems Brodie is at the bottom of that list which I find quite strange. I’d consider him a better player by a long way than Cartwright and whilst very different of similar quality to Lucas maybe a little bit worse. Seems to be no continuity with all 3 of them having been named, played or 18th man at different occasions each round. Brodie will love a crack and on a 1 year deal he will be very snaggable considering he barely got re-signed. Can play good minutes through the middle in the rotation, then obviously covers second row as that’s his main position and then centre in the event of a back going down. I reckon he’s the one we need.

8. Jensen
10. Haas
11. Riki
12. Piakura
13. Carrigan
15. Hetherington
16. Willison
17. Jones

Strengthens the side in every metric without running a forward short on the bench to play an outside back. Fixes the depth issue as well at second row.

Go get him. Brodie Jones!

I'm thinking he trains at anywhere Kevvie puts him. If we lose another back this week without a bench backup we'll have the same clusterfuck of 2nd rowers being exploited to death.
At a pinch Oates can give a forward a spell for 10 minutes before I reckon he'd be gassed.

Was that Gus`s masterplan at the Bulldogs ?
Every one is a utility . Lose a player, no probs just shuffle the deck . LOL .

Broncos got lucky last year with injuries .

I just desperately want us to sign a bench forward/centre.

Brodie Jones?

Can cover second row, middle, centre and can spend long term on an edge if injuries force it. Not cracking the Knights side currently and they have at least 5 second row options on the top of my head in Frizz, KPP, Lucas, Cartwright and Brodie (a 6th in Elliott’s versatility despite starting at 13). Cartwright was named ahead of both Lucas and Brodie before swapping with Lucas this round. Seems Brodie is at the bottom of that list which I find quite strange. I’d consider him a better player by a long way than Cartwright and whilst very different of similar quality to Lucas maybe a little bit worse. Seems to be no continuity with all 3 of them having been named, played or 18th man at different occasions each round. Brodie will love a crack and on a 1 year deal he will be very snaggable considering he barely got re-signed. Can play good minutes through the middle in the rotation, then obviously covers second row as that’s his main position and then centre in the event of a back going down. I reckon he’s the one we need.

8. Jensen
10. Haas
11. Riki
12. Piakura
13. Carrigan
15. Hetherington
16. Willison
17. Jones

Strengthens the side in every metric without running a forward short on the bench to play an outside back. Fixes the depth issue as well at second row.

Go get him. Brodie Jones!

Watching Piakura play 2nd row you would think he could play one position wider . Well ,, apparently not . He got shredded in defence .

Everyone spent multiple weeks on the sidelines last year. Sure we didnt find ourselves in many 4-6 week baskets but everyone spent a number of games in the year on the sideline and we never found ourselves with this issue last year. Why? because we had Kurt Capewell. Cheers to the genius' that came up with that idea.

Everyone spent multiple weeks on the sidelines last year. Sure we didnt find ourselves in many 4-6 week baskets but everyone spent a number of games in the year on the sideline and we never found ourselves with this issue last year. Why? because we had Kurt Capewell. Cheers to the genius' that came up with that idea.

Capewell ?
Did he play centre , prop or half ?

He was a liability come the end of the season and the season before . Cleary ran over him and set up a try under the posts in the GF . The Wahs are welcome to him .

Capewell ?
Did he play centre , prop or half ?

He was a liability come the end of the season and the season before . Cleary ran over him and set up a try under the posts in the GF . The Wahs are welcome to him .
I’m sitting here reading people sprout how good Oates would be in the 17. You have seriously fucked up recruitment and retention when we need Corey Oates to play on the bench because not only can nobody safely play outside back nobody can safely play second row. Guess who can do both and play through the middle. Kurt fucking Capewell. So yes regardless of whether you think we lost a premiership because of him or not the reality is we are so much weaker without him.

Yeah, I mean, last week was a major backline reshuffle. Cobbo going to FB where he is probably not that vocal defensively, we probably missed walsh in that regard more than Piakura being carved up entirely. Capes was a more capable centre but Piakura is very early in his career. He will probably be as good if not better when he gets to the same point in his career than Capes. The Bronx will be fine this year, Opting for Oates on the bench is not such a bad thing I reckon. I think he would be fine defending in the middle for a max 17 minutes. specifically if its while Carrigan and 2023 Billy are defending next to him.

I’m sitting here reading people sprout how good Oates would be in the 17. You have seriously fucked up recruitment and retention when we need Corey Oates to play on the bench because not only can nobody safely play outside back nobody can safely play second row. Guess who can do both and play through the middle. Kurt fucking Capewell. So yes regardless of whether you think we lost a premiership because of him or not the reality is we are so much weaker without him.

Oates - good outside back cover, largely unproven but could probably do a job at second-row/in the middle for a short stint.

Capewell - average to fair second-row cover, can do a job in the middle for a short stint, serviceable outside back cover.

I don't know that I can agree that we are 'so much weaker' without Capewell. If you need either to replace a back, Oates is arguably the better option. If you don't and either just ends up playing fifteen to twenty minutes as an interchange forward, Capes obviously has an edge, but on his form last year is it leaps and bounds ahead? He probably makes more of a difference in Vegas, sure.

Cards were stacked against us on Thursday. Even if we'd had Capewell, I can't see us winning that game.

Corey Oates is the shittest fucking second rower to have ever claimed to second rower fame. **** me dead the **** was so shit it’s not even funny. How you can even remotely compare that **** to capewell from the bench is insulting. Big whoop the **** missed a fucking tackle like 6 other blokes who didn’t follow on the inside that play. Still shits on Oates in every metric of what we need from a bench player. Just talking rubbish suggesting second row and middle. Good for him he has a decent carry out of the own end he fucking sucks at remotely anything else needed to be a forward. SUCKS. He’s a club legend but I’d sack him tomorrow to make sure he doesn’t play in the forwards. Sure he can play 17 covering the backs until we find a suitable option but if we go the whole year with him at 17 we will be so far off premiership quality it’s not even funny. I’d sack him tomorrow if it meant getting Kurt back and I genuinely mean it. How much weaker our team is without a 3rd forward who can cover second row and the backs is crazy. COREY OATES IS NOT A SECOND ROWER.

Ok well I am having a stressful day at work, so just putting this here to help with anxiety, a team list is a refreshing thing!

1. Sailor
2. Arthars
3. Staggs
4. Cobbo
5. Mariner
6. Mam
7. Reynolds
8. Jensen
9. Smoothy (Walters needs a rocket, see how he responds to a swap)
10. Willison (Just for this game, I think his punch could be fantastic in the early exchanges and he can come back fresh in the back end of the game to terrorise their tired middle)
11. Piakura
12. Riki (Really need him to step up)
13. Carrigan (Please, please play him less minutes, we cannot burn him out)

14. Walters
15. Hetherington (We could start him instead of Willison too)
16. Baker (I know he will likely start but I wouldn't be starting him)
17. Oates (Well let's get the experiment happening and see how it goes)
Another dose of Diversity training? (In case you forgot everything from last year)

I aint one of the ones calling for Oates .
Baker had 1 poor game and now the sky is falling . Calm down .

You give him too much credit saying he had a masterplan I think.
We were super lucky last year. When you look at the Tits though you can't help wonder how lucky we still are.

Corey Oates is the shittest fucking second rower to have ever claimed to second rower fame. **** me dead the **** was so shit it’s not even funny. How you can even remotely compare that **** to capewell from the bench is insulting. Big whoop the **** missed a fucking tackle like 6 other blokes who didn’t follow on the inside that play. Still shits on Oates in every metric of what we need from a bench player. Just talking rubbish suggesting second row and middle. Good for him he has a decent carry out of the own end he fucking sucks at remotely anything else needed to be a forward. SUCKS. He’s a club legend but I’d sack him tomorrow to make sure he doesn’t play in the forwards. Sure he can play 17 covering the backs until we find a suitable option but if we go the whole year with him at 17 we will be so far off premiership quality it’s not even funny. I’d sack him tomorrow if it meant getting Kurt back and I genuinely mean it. How much weaker our team is without a 3rd forward who can cover second row and the backs is crazy. COREY OATES IS NOT A SECOND ROWER.

There he is!

I'm not even that wedded to the idea, but now I really want us to go the whole year with Corey in the seventeen jersey and challenge for the premiership.

Oates wasn't that bad in the second row i thought. He was not horrendous defensively either from what i remember. In his first game back in the 2nd row we pumped the bulldogs and he didnt let a try in. We got pumped the week later by the Tigers but all mainly due to Isaako and Tesi Niu being in the same side togther. Oates would make a great supersub. Play him on the wing, 2nd row in the middle. He would be totally fine and an upgrade on the likes of Fletcher Baker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • mrslong
  • Jazza
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Alec
  • Locky24
  • heartly87
  • Kev_Guz
  • eggstar10
  • lakers133334
  • Fatboy
  • Morkel
  • BroncoFan94
  • Rambstien
  • Wolfie
  • kiwibronco
  • Culhwch
  • BroncosAlways
  • Painin the Haas
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.