/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Renegade Renegade

Just for reference sake, here is the progression of Bennett coaching the running out of his game if we needed any more proof:

2015 - 13 tries, 3301 running metres, 1458 kicking metres
2016 - 14 tries, 3041 running metres, 3371 kicking metres
2017* - 7 tries, 2308 running metres, 3754 kicking metres
2018** - 6 tries, 2162 running metres, 9016 kicking metres
2019*** - 6 tries, 2456 running metres, 8730 kicking metres

* = Bennett begins transitioning Milford into the 'game manager'
** = Transition complete, initiate kick-bot.exe
*** = Seibold tries to get Milford running again, but the kick-bot is too powerful, it has consumed his soul
That’s exactly the point though. Everyone sees a (very) occasional flash of running from Milford and then tries to convince themselves that the old Milford is coming back any day now, just move him back to Fullback, just don’t make him kick so much, just get him a proper Halfback, just get him a better team, trust me, he’s coming back, any day now you’ll see...

The old Milford isn’t there anymore and he isn’t ever coming back. I don’t blame him entirely by any stretch, because as you’ve said a lot of this was coached out of him, but that still doesn’t change the fact he’s not a good investment of our salary cap anymore and we are better off outlaying prémium money on someone who delivers premium performances on more than just an occasional basis.

He was moderately underrated in 2018 by lots of people because they were so accustomed to him being the dynamic runner in 2015-17, took fans a while to adjust as well.

With that being said, he wasn't good. He had 12 try assists in 2018 as the only play maker on the team and 13 try assists in 2019 as the only play maker on the team.

Comparatively, Moses had 25 try assists last season as the only real play maker on his team. Every primary play maker should be getting 20+ try assists per season.
Exactly right. I’m not sure why broncsgoat broncsgoat struggles with this concept so badly. Just because he was one of our best players, doesn’t mean he was actually good by the standards set across the league.

Year in, year out there are vastly cheaper players with less reputation who put out the same numbers as Milford does and if we’re going to get Try Assists in the mid teens at best every year, we may as well get them from a guy who only takes up half the salary cap space Milford does.

Last edited:
1. Isaako - He was far from our worst and seems to be a safe option at the back, but if this team is going to win any games ever, we need as many creative players on field at the one time as possible, and if that man is someone like Niu then fair enough, but right now Isaako is not looking like that person. Would happily keep him on the wing for his goalkicking alone. 6
2. Coates - Had a few brain explosions but was otherwise very impressive. His ability in the contested kicks is Folau-esque, while physically he's closer to Inglis. He's gonna be some player one day. Now that Oates time on the wing appears to be over, I'd suggest he has a mortgage on the spot now. 7
3. Staggs - You can tell everytime he get his hands on the ball he immediately puts the defence in two minds. He is close to our only strike weapon currently in the squad. Thank **** TPJ is back next week. He really needs to work harder in defence though 7
4. Boyd - Have to give him credit, he actually put in last night. Got a try, should have had a double. His defence is still putrid though. I refuse to believe Boyd entered his 30's and suddenly forgot to mark his man. There's still no place in this side for him when we are full strength, but that clearly doesn't matter. 5
5. Farnworth - I like him. His returns into the line are always solid and far better than Isaako. We haven't seen nearly anything of what he can do in attack yet though. Even when we were down that end, it was bombs away to the other sideline. Destined for Boyd's centre spot next season I imagine. 6
6. Milford - I was pretty meh on Milford tonight contrary to a lot of people. It didn't feel like he was even there until he fruitlessly tried to chime in towards the end to win the game late, which he did very poorly. Not running the ball anywhere near enough, not getting involved enough, not good enough. Needs a spell on the bench in the vain hope of getting a rocket up him. To his credit, he did put his body on the line more in defence than he usually does. Still nowhere near good enough for his value. 4
7. Croft - Not much different to Milford on this occasion. Loved the bombs he put on Coates tits but his running of the ball was mostly ineffectual and his defence was poor. Did put in one good placement kick late in the 2nd half when we desperately needed it but he doesn't do it anywhere near enough. Really doesn't seem like captain material somehow. 4
8. Lodge - Mostly did exactly what we needed him to. Did his best to lead from the front, hit hard and effectively in defence, didn't mess around with eating the metres either. His 2nd half stint was less impressive than his first but that's to be expected with the refs riding us into the dirt. 7
9. Paix - Much better effort than last week. Probably not what we need in the 9 in the long term (Turpin isn't exactly shaking in his boots) but he's getting the job needed of him done admirably. Might be pushed out of the side for Milford upon Turpin's return if Dearden comes in and kills it. 6
10. Haas - He was huge, both physically and metaphorically. It's a shame it wasn't enough to net us the win but that was hardly his fault. He was probably our best on ground. 8
11. Oates - To his credit, he had a far better debut in the 2nd row than I think anyone expected. He commited to tackles, hit the ball up hard, and hardly shamed himself. Given time he will only get better in the position as well. 7
12. Joe O - He's barely clinging on to first grade at this point. I'm aware he was playing out of position on this occasion, but he has been far from impressive for some time now, and to be frank at full strength he absolutely doesn't make the starting 13 and is in a fight for the bench. Another one on way too much money for way too long. 4
13. Carrigan - The captain in waiting was right up there with Haas for this game. I'm looking forward to seeing what he brings when Glenn returns next week and relieves him of the burden of the captaincy for now, because he has been close to our best in terms of consistency all year and he seems like he's just about ready to explode onto the scene when it comes to the 13 jumper. An Origin berth might not be out of the question. 8

Last edited:
The more I think about it the more I blame seibs for the loss.
his bench management is worse than hooks and that’s saying something. We were so exhausted at about the 55minute mark and he did nothing about it. He sticks with his plan and that’s it. He needs to be held accountable.
Also, Croft is shit - he was at Melbourne and he is here.

He was moderately underrated in 2018 by lots of people because they were so accustomed to him being the dynamic runner in 2015-17, took fans a while to adjust as well.

With that being said, he wasn't good. He had 12 try assists in 2018 as the only play maker on the team and 13 try assists in 2019 as the only play maker on the team.

Comparatively, Moses had 25 try assists last season as the only real play maker on his team. Every primary play maker should be getting 20+ try assists per season.
By comparison anyone able to show Lockyers try assists for his last remaining years, I know he is god but I don’t think he would’ve had more than maybe 20 a season, probably less?

By comparison anyone able to show Lockyers try assists for his last remaining years, I know he is god but I don’t think he would’ve had more than maybe 20 a season, probably less?

Locky was equal first in try assists in his final season (2011). he tied with Thurston and Marshall with 21 try assists

How dare you??!! Question the G.O.A.T

Milford sadly is just a mirage of what we thought could have been another classy playmaker. Management should probably give Dearden more game time once the prospect of finals contention disappears in the next 2-3 games.

Last edited:
How many times did Staggs get the ball out wide in a good attacking shape in the 2nd half?

I keep going on about this but we just don't move the ball around. It's all too much up the middle. The 1st 2 games were different. We actually moved the ball wide and it showed with decent attacking performances. Contrast to Manly who in the 2nd half got the ball out wide and that for mine was the difference .. apart from the shit biased reffing

At least having Fifi and TPJ out wide seems to motivate the halves to pass the ball beyond the nearest middle forward. So annoying
There were times when we tried to go wide but manly were coming up so fast on the outside that we couldn't get the ball out there.

It's a symptom of the game at the moment that the closer you get to the try line the harder it can become to get the ball out... unless you're playing against the Broncos defensive line.

Do agree they need to get him more ball... having him come back on the inside would've been useful. Manly had the same issue as us where the middle wasn't coming out at the same line speed as the outside so Staggs running back at the middle would've been interesting.

Having TPJ back will give us an option on the edge and he can't help but make second phase play so we should be better in that regard next week

Finally got to see the touch judge’s view of Milford’s 40/20 effort. Now I can see why we didn’t get it to go our way.
53A46D14-2106-4AB8-87C5-74AB5B389778.jpeg

That's how I remember it as well. They were rightfully upset about the Hodges try in Origin, but then defenders were manipulating the rules and it was abolished after only a few weeks in the 2013 season.

I seem to recall it was a game involving the Wests Tigers and Manly Sea Eagles where they started their crusade to cancel it.

Have they changed the interpretation since 2016? I remember it saving the Broncos against the Cowboys so Green started casting shade on the bunker and suddenly everyone followed suit. Something about how the next day, they actually let a try stand against Gallen because he took an obvious dive against the Titans?

Wait...didn't they change the rule again BECAUSE DCE took an obvious dive against Brisbane to deny them a try in that game where Brisbane produced a comeback of their own in 2017? The game where Trbojevic threw a 5m forward pass and they said yeah that's good? Where was our pity party that night? Regardless the DCE obstruction didn't decide the game, but it showed you the type of gamesmanship DCE was capable of.

I'm confused, where are we Dex?
They fucked up the obstruction rule by allowing decoys to hit the outside shoulder.

There was a year where obstructions were being called on any runs on the outside shoulder... and the commentators kicked up a stink because moves that looked like tries were being called back because they were on the outside shoulder and now they can run out there as long as they go through the line. I don't recall when the rule change happened it was just there one week and then gone the next

The issue that I have is that decoy runner on the outside shoulder automatically disrupts the half in the defensive line and creates a 3 on 2.

The half can't slide across on the fullback because he can't run through the decoy... you see it everytime the half has to stop on their run and navigate around the decoy, but the damage is already done.

So now we have a game where a try looks ok, but the half is back there trying to run through a second rower and an easy overlap is created... if I'm a coach I would want my half just sliding across and if the second rower is in the way take a dive.

The NRL have brought it on themselves to only penalise when the player takes a dive so if a bronco does it the rule will be changed within an hour

Last edited:
Im sure he’s trying to set a good example for his young players. If he looks like he’s making excuses than they might too.
Haha yeah I reckon so too. Wonder how many players were sending texts out part way through the second half?

Few things I took away from the game.

Issako - Solid as a fullback, but doesn't offer a threat at the moment. There was one time in the 2nd half where his kick return was very, very poor and I was yelling at him to be more urgent with it, but a part from that we need him in the side for his goal kicking

Coates - Offensively he is a weapon, but defensively he is a liability. Happy to keep him in the team as I think he has great potential, but I sure hope he picks up his defense quick.

Staggs - Offensively he is great, but defensively he is showing problems. Caught out of line a few times and gave away a stupid penalty on the 2nd tackle where he tackled the opposition when he was clearly offside (dude never even made it back behind the original man he tackled). This was after a hard kick chase as well which infuriated me.

Boyd - Happy he got that try but should've passed it to be safe. He was lucky to get over and should've got a second too

Oates - Good debut in the back row. Quite surprised how well he did too. Scared me on his first carry as I thought he lost the ball but got us a penalty instead

Lodge - Anybody else think that he needs to change his tackling technique? It's always around the shoulders and he gives away at least 1 high tackle a game. He is lucky he hasn't been suspended yet as none of them look blatant but it's just a matter of time. I do love his aggressiveness on his tackles though

Overall - The attitude was a lot better. I was praying we don't get blown out as I already marked this as a lost since Manly is such a good team so losing by 2 is quite okay compared to last 2 weeks. However it sucks that we were up 18-0 and then conceded 20 points in a row.
What I do see is that mentally they are weak. If things are going good, they look like champions but one bad call changes their game and mentality completely. Last 2 weeks it was the 6 again calls that messed them up. Last night was the No Try. I guess that's what you get with such a young team.

But even if you take out all the 50-50 calls and whether or not the no-try was a try and the try was a no-try, there was still just no consistency in the refereeing.

Coates absolutely should have been penalised for the blocking but come on, every time he went for the ball Parker was doing the same thing. In fact he got penalised for having to jump over Parker.

Carrigan was about to strip the ball and the ref calls held? At worst it is a millisecond after the call, that cost the team the game potentially but nothing in the media I’m sure.

Fonua-Blake plays the ball Whitehouse a hand on him, that’s an extremely harsh call. The 20-40 was a great achievement for Milf but that touchie must have the eyes of an 80 year old, she was right there.

It’s the lack of consistency that is so frustrating. How can this side be so poorly disciplined to be on the end of and 18-2 penalty count or whatever it was?

Dont get me started on the six agains, I cannot tell you what most of them were for for either side last night.

There is absolutely no advantage to dominating a defensive set anymore, you can guarantee the if a team pins another team in their 20m line, the other team will get a six again. The rule is a great idea but like all thing left refereeing in the NRL, there is just absolutely no consistency.

How dare you??!! Question the G.O.A.T

Milford sadly is just a mirage of what we thought could have been another classy playmaker. Management should probably give Dearden more game time once the prospect of finals contention disappears in the next 2-3 games.

Suggest you watch Milford against Souths in Round 2.

Losing Fifita and TPJ seems to have ruined our attacking shapes out wide. Oates was certainly an improvement on what we had v Eels and Roosters however if you watch us in Rounds 1 and 2 you can see what impact losing Fifi and TPJ has had - not only their individual prowess, but the effect on our attack on the edges and out wide.

In fact, despite some shaky defence in those rounds, it was good to watch what this side is capable of with our full side on the park.

Milf and Croft did really well for their first 2 outings as our halves.

Also, we really miss Gillett and Glenn defending on the edges. Matty was always there covering our wide, and Glenn not far off. Last night, I don't remember our edge forwards standing wide to help the defensive shape - they were standing in the middle when Manly went wide - which for mine leaves us short with predictable results.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.