Round 6 - Broncos vs Panthers

Turpin topped the tackle count again with 53. His work rate was astonishing out there. His service was excellent too, but I wish he'd add another dimension to his attack. Maybe he's too buggered from tackling forwards.
He’s capable of it, he did it in rd1 and we haven’t seen it since.

Proud of the effort tonight. The numbers in tackles, desperation and scramble, so much better. It was like watching a different team.

TPJ was inhuman tonight. Lodges best game since I can remember and credit to Croft on a solid game. I thought his d on that edge was good.

Staggs and herbie still to come back. If we can string some strong performances together like that I'm excited for what's to come.
The only force of nature that kept us in it was payne hass ....immense

He threw a million forward passes too, and only got pinged once... I like his effort... But for godsakes, why can’t we find some fucking skillz?

Kevvie is blowing up in the presser and rightly so.

I actually edited my comment before posting to remove a mention about the forward passes, because every hooker does it and one in 50 gets called.

Yeah... But I've been calling continuously for weeks to :

1. Drop Milford and..
2. Give Croft and Dearden a run and let them play their natural game.

I'm going to take the W, and claim the foresight on this one. I've been mocked about my calls to give these boys a go to run the team their way without Milford over calling the attack.

Surely y'all are man enough to.... View attachment 12417
There have been a few of us saying similar about Milf churning through partners. Kev had the guts Pies didn't.

You can excuse the lack of execution in attack somewhat with it being yet another new halves combination, hopefully it will continue to improve and Dearden finds his voice & his boot,

He's been sick? What with? And how has he not shaken this illness in 6 weeks?
Was physically sick in the days leading up to the game. Same as Flegler. Please reread my post.

Our forwards beat penriths pack tonight.

It looked like the general game plan Was a simple one of completing sets and winning field position, which we largely did. Unfortunately, we rarely capitalised on it.

Our attack in their end was clunky and premeditated, so we didnt take advantage of their defensive lapses. This is where our halves need to play a bit of heads up footy. It would help if we had several plays to run from the same attacking shape (similar to melbourne). This might give our halves a few options when attacking the line.

Missed chance for dearden tonight. He had the opportunity to stand up and take ownership, but didnt. I agree with others, i would not get into a bidding war, i think he is at least a couple years off.

Our forwards beat penriths pack tonight.

It looked like the general game plan Was a simple one of completing sets and winning field position, which we largely did. Unfortunately, we rarely capitalised on it.

Our attack in their end was clunky and premeditated, so we didnt take advantage of their defensive lapses. This is where our halves need to play a bit of heads up footy. It would help if we had several plays to run from the same attacking shape (similar to melbourne). This might give our halves a few options when attacking the line.

Missed chance for dearden tonight. He had the opportunity to stand up and take ownership, but didnt. I agree with others, i would not get into a bidding war, i think he is at least a couple years off.
We looked a lot better than with Milford.
This is their first week together against one of the best defenses in the league.

If Milford plays the entire team turns into a mess with zero communication, zero effort and no attitude. They wouldn't have had a chance to win with Milford, the game would have been a blow out as per usual. This isn't an opinion, there is 2+ years of evidence that proves my point. Before you go saying he is ‘just 1 player’, he isn’t. He is the highest paid bronco signed on as the playmaker for the team. His attitude and style of play sets the tone for the rest of the team.

Are you talking about the same team that had several chances to score a try or build pressure in the second half but couldn’t get anything right? Stupid passes, stupid kicks and stupid options. Not once did Dearden get the ball tonight and I thought “hey he looks like he is going to do something good”. Isaako was to blame also but Jesus Christ Dearden was ordinary. He put a kick through on the third tackle and it was only a mead tackle that got us a repeat set because it was a very poor kick and option.

I’ll say it time and again. Dearden isn’t the right option at the moment and I just don’t see anything in this guy. I’m hoping to god he is the next Thurston but I just don’t see it happening.

To say that Milford has an effect on the attitude and commitment of the other 16 players is silly. Yes he is the highest paid player at the club and I agree he isn’t worth 1 million a year but that doesn’t mean that Dearden should be picked ahead of him.

This is a game we can build on, despite the loss. The most pleasing thing for me was that no one was joking around in that dressing room after. They looked like they were ready to get back out there and get the result "right".
It wasnt despondance or frustration but some one who found how a few pieces of the puzzle went together but not the whole picture.
You could easily watch that game, see the many times we blew chances and think: "what's changed? "
That is unless you noticed how hard everyone put in for that following defensive set. It reminded of the broncos of old and I don't say that lightly.
The days of longer Walters were never the perfect football we remember. There poor kicks that put us under pressure, poor passes and drop balls. Walters himself was one of the worst defenders playing. But the thing was every time they stuffed up the whole team worked twice as hard (not just the one doing the mistake like in recent games) . It meant they could take chances and learn from the errors they made.
The difference between tonight and those golden teams of the past however was they also knew when to "go for jugular" and when to hold back. And when they did, there was no coming back.
That's something they will need to learn but if they can repeat tonight's effort in defence, they might just get the chance to learn.
As a side note I would say we have to learn that our players cannot be expected to run themselves into the ground to compete.
Turpin played well tonight but this is very reminiscent of previous games where a good game would be followed by a mundane one and lots of short cuts. This is also true of TPJ and a few others.
We need to both keep them hungry for action and have the petrol left in the tank to do so. I'd play TPJ off the bench and give turps a partner at dummy half (either paix or someone like as a utility, or just using one of team mates in the role so he can have a spell. Just be sure to communicate to them why and what's expected when they do play.
I think a lot of our inconsistency has come down to simply being run off their feet. Other than bringing in Farnsworth and a utility I'd be reluctant to change too much.
Keep Isaako practicing those set moves and be patient. It can be the gateway for opening his game up as he needs to expand it a bit or risk going the way of Hoffman (he has a lot more heart and conviction though)
Those talking about dropping or letting dearden walk need to be patient as well. He has been thrown in. Prematurely but he's there now. He only goes if either Milford or Kelly start destroying teams single handed in q cup. K Hunt is being brought into mentor the halves and he can't do that if he is lining up in the team and they aren't.
What role he plays, I can't say, but his main job will be to mentor both of them at training and keep a level head in matches (if he plays)
Perhaps he will be our Benji?

Active Now

• Lostboy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Thelmus
  • broncs30
  • Harry Sack
  • Morkel
  • winslow_wong
  • theshed
  • Jazza
  • broncsgoat
  • Dash
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • Bucking Beads
  • barker
  • Mr Fourex
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Stix
  • lakers133334
  • Browny
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.