Sacking Henjak/Appointment of Griffin

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
There has been a lot of intense and interesting discussions recently on here surrounding the circumstances of Hook's dismissal and the appointment of the second coming of Bennett and whether this was done properly/ethically etc.

I thought it might be worth some discussion to revisit the circumstances of Hook's appointment.

At the time he was appointed (and until only probably the last 12 months or so) I was not aware of the extent of the friendship and the closeness of the relationship between Hook and Paul White.

From all of the reports I have read Paul White is a stand up bloke and is honest and a good operator. However, one of the first things he did when he came into the role as CEO was to sack the incumbent coach.

At the time this was attributed to a report prepared by a consultant who allegedly reported player discontent with Henjak. The timing of that dismissal was less than optimal coming about 2 weeks prior to the commencement of the season.

It was never made clear to what degree he or the Board canvassed other options for the coaching role prior to the appointment of Hook as coach (who we now know is the CEO's best friend).

Given Paul White's reputation undoubtedly he would have reported any conflict of interest or not involved himself in the decision, and it was reported to be a decision of the board.

Given that the club and Henjak apparently signed confidentiality agreements I guess we will never get to the bottom of what occurred there and the roles played by the various players.

I have read that Griffin was recommended by Bennett.

And you could tell by the way we played and the number of blowouts that he had lost the dressing room. But I can't say the same for Griffin, even though it was time for us to move on from Griffin.

Last edited:
I will never know, looking in from the outside I can see how you could draw that inference and conclusion. I just find it interesting that for a club that holds itself out, and is generally lauded as being well run and professionally run that the appointment of the last two coaches has occurred in what appears to be a rushed, haphazard and dare I say amateurish fashion.

And you could tell by the way we played and the number of blowouts that He naked had lost the dressing room. But I can't say the same for Griffin, even though it was time for us to move on from Griffin.

No wonder the fucker was fired.

And you could tell by the way we played and the number of blowouts that he had lost the dressing room. But I can't say the same for Griffin, even though it was time for us to move on from Griffin.

I'm sorry, but the players don't get a word in this. 9 wins and 9 losses. That isn't a team that is standing by their coach. That's a team that has allowed itself to become lazy and indignant.

I'm sorry, but the players don't get a word in this. 9 wins and 9 losses. That isn't a team that is standing by their coach. That's a team that has allowed itself to become lazy and indignant.

Did you even read the line where I said we needed to get rid of Griffin ...

FFS, if don't call Griffin the worst coach ever seen at this level, people whinge.

Did you even read the line where I said we needed to get rid of Griffin ...

FFS, if don't call Griffin the worst coach ever seen at this level, people whinge.

Probably because you have consistently been Hook's staunchest supporter.

Probably because you have consistently been Hook's staunchest supporter.

That is a lie.

Foordy has said several times that Griffin has to go, [MENTION=1769]Foordy[/MENTION] & others have said they just didn't like how it was done.

don't the board members appoint the coach, not the ceo? i thought white was saying on friday night at half time that the board members had agreed to bring bennett back and he just had to negotiate the terms and conditions

don't the board members appoint the coach, not the ceo? i thought white was saying on friday night at half time that the board members had agreed to bring bennett back and he just had to negotiate the terms and conditions

Thats correct mate ... the head coach is appointed by the board ... in fact in this case White was kept out if the loop

In hindsight its a bit odd to let a coach complete a pre-season then sack him right before the season, but we all knew he'd lost the playing group and I take it player power got him ousted figuring they couldn't get through 2011 with any problems that existed.

Thats correct mate ... the head coach is appointed by the board ... in fact in this case White was kept out if the loop

I am interested to know how you know this to be able to assert it as a fact? Or is it a surmise? I certainly don't know and I would hope that not only that he was kept out of the loop but that he no input to the Board about either decision.

My recall of the press reports of the time and interviews with White seemed to indicate that he was in the loop.

In hindsight its a bit odd to let a coach complete a pre-season then sack him right before the season, but we all knew he'd lost the playing group and I take it player power got him ousted figuring they couldn't get through 2011 with any problems that existed.

That's a good point. One thing about 2011, the squad seemed a helluva lot fitter than today. Apart from the fact they were 3 years younger, I wonder how much of it was down to Ivan's pre-season.

Last edited:
I am interested to know how you know this to be able to assert it as a fact? Or is it a surmise? I certainly don't know and I would hope that not only that he was kept out of the loop but that he no input to the Board about either decision.

My recall of the press reports of the time and interviews with White seemed to indicate that he was in the loop.

from memory White said something along those lines at half time (during the TV coverage).

Ahhh okay, my apologies, you are correct about this appointment (of Bennett), I was harking back to Griffin's appointment.

Ahhh okay, my apologies, you are correct about this appointment (of Bennett), I was harking back to Griffin's appointment.

sorry, yeah with Henjaks sacking/Griffins appointment he was likely in the loop. they would've kept him out of the loop on this one due to his conflict of interest (friendship with Griffin)

Henjak did his end of season review with the club it was appalling but they decided to give it another go- White came on board and read it and said no way this can't continue.

The club did try and get other coaches, Bennett was tried then too.

An unfortunate pair of coaches. With Henjak you had a really solid football mind but not much in the way of managing people. With Sloth, you have a likable guy who lacks a dynamic football brain. One was likely too hard on players and one who is WAY too soft and doesn't have the balls to make tough decisions. Whether Bennett is the solution.... remains to be seen.

Last edited:
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.