PLAYER Selwyn Cobbo

He's had a good start to the season. He is a big unit, when the team is huddled together after points he looks a giant lol

**** I love Selwyn... please please don't go to Sydney 🙏🙏
As much as I love Selwyn and think he will be a gun anything near a million you have to say goodbye Selwyn sadly. He is a great player but that’s a lot of money to be spending on a centre when you have a huge crop of integral players in integral positions to keep. We have Staggs and Mariner both very talented and consistent in their own right. Staggs, Mariner and having that extra quality in another position or two or even 3 can be all the difference. Thing with Selwyn is how much will the game plan be focused around him? We have Ezra we have Walsh, we must keep the majority of our forward pack. If he performs like he does last night most to every week with great improvement you might have to cop the high salary on the chin just to keep him but at the minute what kotoni brings every week matches what Selwyn brings and some.

At the minute Kotoni is ahead for mine and Selwyn has to prove otherwise. Kotoni has gotten great at all the little details of the game. Selwyn has not, but Selwyn also has 4 more years till you can fairly compare that but this decision isn’t being made in 4 years it’s probably got to be made in 4-5 months time. Process will be sitting down and understanding what makes all these boys tick, where they want to be, what it takes to keep them and what they offer at that price point if they are kept. We can’t keep everyone and as special as Selwyn will be I think if we are to lose him we just about do keep everyone else. Is that a risk worth taking when you know the 2 blokes playing centre if he leaves are equally as impressive?

The answer can change from person to person. My stance is if you can keep everyone else you sacrifice Selwyn, if you can’t you hold onto him. But that comes at the expense of Kotoni and probably someone else in the next few years. If you don’t play your cards right and someone gets a crazy offer it can be at the expense of another 2 or 3 and all of a sudden your side is a shadow of what it could have been if you made the tough call to cut Selwyn loose.

Ah decisions, decisions.

I see more risk keeping Selwyn than losing him personally.

As much as I love Selwyn and think he will be a gun anything near a million you have to say goodbye Selwyn sadly. He is a great player but that’s a lot of money to be spending on a centre when you have a huge crop of integral players in integral positions to keep. We have Staggs and Mariner both very talented and consistent in their own right. Staggs, Mariner and having that extra quality in another position or two or even 3 can be all the difference. Thing with Selwyn is how much will the game plan be focused around him? We have Ezra we have Walsh, we must keep the majority of our forward pack. If he performs like he does last night most to every week with great improvement you might have to cop the high salary on the chin just to keep him but at the minute what kotoni brings every week matches what Selwyn brings and some.

At the minute Kotoni is ahead for mine and Selwyn has to prove otherwise. Kotoni has gotten great at all the little details of the game. Selwyn has not, but Selwyn also has 4 more years till you can fairly compare that but this decision isn’t being made in 4 years it’s probably got to be made in 4-5 months time. Process will be sitting down and understanding what makes all these boys tick, where they want to be, what it takes to keep them and what they offer at that price point if they are kept. We can’t keep everyone and as special as Selwyn will be I think if we are to lose him we just about do keep everyone else. Is that a risk worth taking when you know the 2 blokes playing centre if he leaves are equally as impressive?

The answer can change from person to person. My stance is if you can keep everyone else you sacrifice Selwyn, if you can’t you hold onto him. But that comes at the expense of Kotoni and probably someone else in the next few years. If you don’t play your cards right and someone gets a crazy offer it can be at the expense of another 2 or 3 and all of a sudden your side is a shadow of what it could have been if you made the tough call to cut Selwyn loose.

Ah decisions, decisions.

I just see that sort of offer as inevitable from rival clubs. Desperate sides will think they can convert him into a fb (doubt he can handle it on a week to week basis in the nrl), and ofc the rorters need a centre (or will lie about converting him into a fb and play him on the wing or at centre) and they will have 57 million dollars on the cap after manu and Sualii leave

Edit: I think of all the kids we’re yet to lock up long term, not including Walsh who I assume we’ll keep, BTK and Willison are the ones we need to focus on. There is a lack of quality props in the comp atm and a reason why clubs are paying the best big dollars. Look at how horrific some clubs middles are at the moment (souths, dogs, even Melbourne for example). BTK and Willison could both join Haas as the best in the position within a couple of seasons.

I just see that sort of offer as inevitable from rival clubs. Desperate sides will think they can convert him into a fb (doubt he can handle it on a week to week basis in the nrl), and ofc the rorters need a centre (or will lie about converting him into a fb and play him on the wing or at centre) and they will have 57 million dollars on the cap after manu and Sualii leave

Edit: I think of all the kids we’re yet to lock up long term, not including Walsh who I assume we’ll keep, BTK and Willison are the ones we need to focus on. There is a lack of quality props in the comp atm and a reason why clubs are paying the best big dollars. Look at how horrific some clubs middles are at the moment (souths, dogs, even Melbourne for example). BTK and Willison could both join Haas as the best in the position within a couple of seasons.
I think we lose them. We can't compete with what they will be offered. Te Kura doesnt look like he can play big minutes yet so that may mean we keep him a bit longer. Willison is too good for one of the teams you mentioned not to snap him up on bigger money. I think we will lose on of Cobbo or Staggs too. Parra or Roosters will be on the lookout

Cobbo has a higher ceiling than Staggs.......much higher.

Kontoni is the one I'd be saying good bye to.

No matter how much I try, I just can't see Selwyn leaving everything he loves for some shit nsw team.

Money isn't everything to everyone.
Everywhere else is a long way from Cherbourg except for Redcliffe and Gold Coast but I can't see them making a play for him.
He would get lured away for a promise of a fullback spot and those 2 teams have that position sorted.
His preference was fullback or centre so I'd imagine he's pretty happy where he's at.

There is an article on the CM with the headline of Walters saying "we have only just scratched the surface with Cobbo" ..

For anyone who can see it ..anything of interest in the article?

There is an article on the CM with the headline of Walters saying "we have only just scratched the surface with Cobbo" ..

For anyone who can see it ..anything of interest in the article?
That pick up off his toes last night reminded me of his debut .
I saw him pick up a loose ball and go for a trot that night. I appreciated his balance and eye hand co ordination . Not many players can scoop a ball off the ground and not miss a stride . An even smaller sub set of men his size .

LOL at Oates not being there to pass to . Herbie used to joke about that`s why he didn`t look to pass as Oates couldn`t keep up . Arthars doesn`t get the same opportunities outside Staggs .

Cobbo has a higher ceiling than Staggs.......much higher.

Kontoni is the one I'd be saying good bye to.
But at what cost man? You keep Kotoni for the rest of time and keep Willison or Te Kura long term with the lesser one for another year or two contract after 25’ whilst maybe still having a little bit of cash to sploosh on dragging a young half out of another system Pezet, Sanders, Schneider, Sexton, Weaver. Not to mention Mozer will get a couple hundred thousand in potential dollars soon.

Selwyn will want about a million for a shorter term contract at the expense of Staggs and likely somebody else - Te Kura most likely. Usually I’d say that’s fine cause we will lose him eventually anyway but I don’t think there is a way on earth Selwyn doesn’t leave to go play fullback in the next 2, 3 or 4 years. We’d be paying excessive money for potential only for him to **** off once reaching it and costing us immense amount of talent and potentially premierships in the process.

Can you seriously accept that much risk for an overpriced centre that won’t even be in our top 4-5 most important players nor be a focal point of attack.

Arthars had a better year than him last year personally for a 5th of the cost. He recently re-signed without a guaranteed spot for a fraction of what Selwyn is about to ask for. I think Kotoni does some much integral work for our side on and off the ball whilst still being a threat in attack (albeit not how he used to be). Willison is a must keep for the next 4-5 years and Te Kura you’d want to snag another contract out of before he inevitably gets snagged. We all complain about Madden well if we sign Selwyn and we lose all that other talent anyway where would you rather spend your money on, a top shelf half or Selwyn?

Selwyn is not the right dude to spend that sort of money on. He is gonna **** off soon anyway. No way should we even consider moving Walsh to halves so where do we get the value out of re-signing Cobbo on ludicrous money from just so we don’t have to watch him be good elsewhere. He isn’t the right guy to be blowing the cash on at this point.

Selwyn would have to come in at around 900 for a longer term contract to be the right option. Neither of those things I see happening.

1. Walsh
2. Arthars
3. Mariner
4. Staggs
5. Innes/Leota/Trew
6. Mam
7. Madden (/insert alternative)
8. Willison
9. Mozer
10. Haas
11. Riki
12. Piakura
13. Carrigan
14. Walters
15. Hetherington
16. Te Kura (until about 26’,27’)
17. Jensen

With a lot of them locked down long term except Te Kura maybe for another year or two after his deal.

1. Walsh
2. Arthars
3. Mariner
4. Cobbo
5. Innes/Leota/Trew
6. Mam
8. Willison (If we are lucky)
9. Mozer (if we are lucky)
10. Haas
11. Riki
12. Piakura
13. Carrigan
14. Walters
15. Hetherington
16. Baker
17. Jensen

We risk losing a lot of talent this way with our depth stocks likely all unaffordable and a few un developed youngsters like Willison and Mozer who would have been in for the long haul then very difficult to hold onto from competitors and Selwyn very likely to **** off in 2-3 years time anyway. You risk all that talent for a bloke who hasn’t reached anywhere near the heights of what he will be asking for and is so clearly going to leave anyway.

Selwyn would have to be performing at that million dollar mark consistently, signing 900-950k on a long term deal to risk losing that other talent. It’s very possible he is immensely talented but in 18 odd games plus finals (not guaranteed how many games) do I think he will be at that level and if he did get to that level do I think he would be taking a long term deal and taking anywhere near less than a million.

You just have to put it into some context and ask yourself is this worth losing all that other talent to keep for another 2-3 years where he likely won’t reach his peak.

We can set ourselves up for a decade if we cut him loose we risk everything for 2-3 years for him to obviously leave us if we keep him. I just cannot see how we could or should keep him without affecting other areas of our side.

I’m reserving my final decision for now but at the minute he is the one that has to prove he is worth keeping not Kotoni imo. I can see Xavier and Te Kura proving themselves instrumental parts to our team this year. Selwyn has to prove he is a million dollar player and then take a haircut and then take a long term deal and make all these decisions long before November 1st so that we don’t risk losing everybody.

But at what cost man? You keep Kotoni for the rest of time and keep Willison or Te Kura long term with the lesser one for another year or two contract after 25’ whilst maybe still having a little bit of cash to sploosh on dragging a young half out of another system Pezet, Sanders, Schneider, Sexton, Weaver. Not to mention Mozer will get a couple hundred thousand in potential dollars soon.

Selwyn will want about a million for a shorter term contract at the expense of Staggs and likely somebody else - Te Kura most likely. Usually I’d say that’s fine cause we will lose him eventually anyway but I don’t think there is a way on earth Selwyn doesn’t leave to go play fullback in the next 2, 3 or 4 years. We’d be paying excessive money for potential only for him to **** off once reaching it and costing us immense amount of talent and potentially premierships in the process.

Can you seriously accept that much risk for an overpriced centre that won’t even be in our top 4-5 most important players nor be a focal point of attack.

Arthars had a better year than him last year personally for a 5th of the cost. He recently re-signed without a guaranteed spot for a fraction of what Selwyn is about to ask for. I think Kotoni does some much integral work for our side on and off the ball whilst still being a threat in attack (albeit not how he used to be). Willison is a must keep for the next 4-5 years and Te Kura you’d want to snag another contract out of before he inevitably gets snagged. We all complain about Madden well if we sign Selwyn and we lose all that other talent anyway where would you rather spend your money on, a top shelf half or Selwyn?

Selwyn is not the right dude to spend that sort of money on. He is gonna **** off soon anyway. No way should we even consider moving Walsh to halves so where do we get the value out of re-signing Cobbo on ludicrous money from just so we don’t have to watch him be good elsewhere. He isn’t the right guy to be blowing the cash on at this point.

Selwyn would have to come in at around 900 for a longer term contract to be the right option. Neither of those things I see happening.

1. Walsh
2. Arthars
3. Mariner
4. Staggs
5. Innes/Leota/Trew
6. Mam
8. Willison
9. Mozer
10. Haas
11. Riki
12. Piakura
13. Carrigan
14. Walters
15. Hetherington
16. Te Kura (until about 26’,27’)
17. Jensen

With a lot of them locked down long term except Te Kura maybe for another year or two after his deal.

1. Walsh
2. Arthars
3. Mariner
4. Cobbo
5. Innes/Leota/Trew
6. Mam
8. Willison (If we are lucky)
9. Mozer (if we are lucky)
10. Haas
11. Riki
12. Piakura
13. Carrigan
14. Walters
15. Hetherington
16. Baker
17. Jensen

We risk losing a lot of talent this way with our depth stocks likely all unaffordable and a few un developed youngsters like Willison and Mozer who would have been in for the long haul then very difficult to hold onto from competitors and Selwyn very likely to **** off in 2-3 years time anyway. You risk all that talent for a bloke who hasn’t reached anywhere near the heights of what he will be asking for and is so clearly going to leave anyway.

Selwyn would have to be performing at that million dollar mark consistently, signing 900-950k on a long term deal to risk losing that other talent. It’s very possible he is immensely talented but in 18 odd games plus finals (not guaranteed how many games) do I think he will be at that level and if he did get to that level do I think he would be taking a long term deal and taking anywhere near less than a million.

You just have to put it into some context and ask yourself is this worth losing all that other talent to keep for another 2-3 years where he likely won’t reach his peak.

We can set ourselves up for a decade if we cut him loose we risk everything for 2-3 years for him to obviously leave us if we keep him. I just cannot see how we could or should keep him without affecting other areas of our side.

I’m reserving my final decision for now but at the minute he is the one that has to prove he is worth keeping not Kotoni imo. I can see Xavier and Te Kura proving themselves instrumental parts to our team this year. Selwyn has to prove he is a million dollar player and then take a haircut and then take a long term deal and make all these decisions long before November 1st so that we don’t risk losing everybody.
All good .. except for the fact that he is not going to want to leave Queensland. 🤷‍♀️

Selwyn will want about a million for a shorter term contract

I don’t think there is a way on earth Selwyn doesn’t leave to go play fullback in the next 2, 3 or 4 years. We’d be paying excessive money for potential only for him to **** off once reaching it

an overpriced centre that won’t even be in our top 4-5 most important players nor be a focal point of attack.

a fraction of what Selwyn is about to ask for.

Selwyn is not the right dude to spend that sort of money on. He is gonna **** off soon anyway.

Selwyn very likely to **** off in 2-3 years time anyway.

a bloke who hasn’t reached anywhere near the heights of what he will be asking for and is so clearly going to leave anyway.

is this worth losing all that other talent to keep for another 2-3 years where he likely won’t reach his peak.

I just cannot see how we could or should keep him

You seem to have made your mind . LOL .

I don`t agree he wont be a .
focal point of attack

I mean have we seen anywhere at all what Selwyn thinks about what Selwyn wants? We don’t even know if he cares that much about money. He’s playing great in a key position at the club he always wanted to play for. We also have a history of taking care of loyal blokes. I have no idea either but wouldn’t be surprised if we learn money is not his driving factor.

I mean have we seen anywhere at all what Selwyn thinks about what Selwyn wants? We don’t even know if he cares that much about money. He’s playing great in a key position at the club he always wanted to play for. We also have a history of taking care of loyal blokes. I have no idea either but wouldn’t be surprised if we learn money is not his driving factor.

we don't even know how important playing fullback is to Cobbo.

it was a throw away line in a interview a few years ago before, he had even cemented a spot in first grade (while Isaako and Nui were fighting for the fullback spot) ... fans and the media have run with it ever since

we don't even know how important playing fullback is to Cobbo.

it was a throw away line in a interview a few years ago before, he had even cemented a spot in first grade (while Isaako and Nui were fighting for the fullback spot) ... fans and the media have run with it ever since
Quote from Selwyns manager September 2023.

While he played the majority of his juniors at fullback, Cobbo did spend some time as a kid in the three-quarter line, and that's where his management declares he wants to return.

"Selwyn loves the Broncos and will play anywhere they want him to, but he does have a preference at centre or fullback," Cobbo's manager Gavin Orr told.

I'd say he's pretty happy where he is at centre.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.