Should we be worried for 2017?

Wayne isn't a superstar coach ??? Haha says willie con carne ! The guy was made to look better than he was, muppet. Times change dumb asses !!

8972.jpg

This man will fix all problems

Why do our ex-players seem to love putting the boot in so often?

I can't remember the full story, but Carne came off kind of bitter in the book 'Bennett's Broncos' as well. I don't think he said anything particularly scathing though...

Meanwhile Dowling always gives it to the players. He's infamous for bagging out 'Jane' Carlaw and going after Lockyer when he eventually led Brisbane, Queensland and Australia to success all in the same year.

As for Brisbane playing flat, it predates McCullough by several years and was in response to the gang tackle which was beginning to gain notoriety. Under the old structure, the Broncos would barely make it past the advantage line before they'd get swamped by the defence. By playing flatter, it gave the defence less time to organise itself and allowed for a better roll on.

I can't remember the full story, but Carne came off kind of bitter in the book 'Bennett's Broncos' as well. I don't think he said anything particularly scathing though...

Meanwhile Dowling always gives it to the players. He's infamous for bagging out 'Jane' Carlaw and going after Lockyer when he eventually led Brisbane, Queensland and Australia to success all in the same year.

As for Brisbane playing flat, it predates McCullough by several years and was in response to the gang tackle which was beginning to gain notoriety. Under the old structure, the Broncos would barely make it past the advantage line before they'd get swamped by the defence. By playing flatter, it gave the defence less time to organise itself and allowed for a better roll on.

Playing flat is all well and good, when playing from the front foot.
Most halves play flat nowadays, but the best halves - Thurston, Cronk etc - all know when to pull back and play with some depth.
Milf and Hunt haven't learnt that skill yet, and it's all about getting a feel for the momentum in a game. Perfect example were Hunts. charged down kicks against Warrington. He should have identified that they lost the ruck, and played with more depth to give himself more time.

It will come.

Some really defeatist attitudes around here. That article is pure baloney; Bennett is a year removed from a GF appearance which we lost in ET. People are short on stories, and the shock loss in the WCS gave people a quick opportunity to put the boot in before the season starts. I for one think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised by the Broncos this year, and reckon we'll once again reclaim our position as the dominant Qld team. **** off Cowgirls. And LOL Titans.

Joe - That's certainly been an issue with Hunt's game and there's been a few times where the dummy half has failed to spot him because he's in some unorthodox position.

With the Cowboys and Storm, while they've obviously got the luxury of having two of the best halves in the game, the key is their coach. With Melbourne it's self-explanatory, they play with options either side of the ball and have played with the same shape ever since Dallas Johnson was on board. That's why Bellamy rarely recruits 'star' players, he just brings in players who fill similar roles as past players (Johnson --> Lowrie --> Hinchcliffe; Waqa --> Koroibete --> Addo-Carr etc.) He has the role already figured out, he just casts whoever he can to play it and backs his own skills to get the most out of them.

Meanwhile if Green brought anything to the Cowboys, it was structure. Under Henry, it seemed like every year they were trying to change their style of play, trying to figure out the right approach. More JT? Less JT? Play to the fringes? Or play out the back? Green got them to start with the basics, get the roll on through Scott, Tamou, Taumalolo, an edge forward and position it for one of ten set-plays.

Never the less, neither side plays like an old school team where the winger would be back 25m getting ready to run onto the potential cut-out pass.

Still a superstar coach in my books. Took St. George to two minor premierships and a title in his first two seasons there, took an injury riddled Newc side to the final 4 in 2013.

Lead a down and out Bris side to the GF only two seasons after the club suffered the worst season in their history, not to mention the six premierships he has already achieved in the River City. As long as he is at the helm, I give the Broncos a title chance every single year.

Still a superstar coach in my books. Took St. George to two minor premierships and a title in his first two seasons there, took an injury riddled Newc side to the final 4 in 2013.

Lead a down and out Bris side to the GF only two seasons after the club suffered the worst season in their history, not to mention the six premierships he has already achieved in the River City. As long as he is at the helm, I give the Broncos a title chance every single year.

I'm with you @Accept
He still 100% has that aura. He has lost nothing.

If Bennett isn't a superstar coach, no one is. What a load of shit that article is.

Some really defeatist attitudes around here. That article is pure baloney; Bennett is a year removed from a GF appearance which we lost in ET. People are short on stories, and the shock loss in the WCS gave people a quick opportunity to put the boot in before the season starts. I for one think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised by the Broncos this year, and reckon we'll once again reclaim our position as the dominant Qld team. **** off Cowgirls. And LOL Titans.

I hope you are right. But I think we'll be behind both the Cowboys and Titans this year.

One thing I think Carne got right (but it's by no means an original thought) is that we haven't played anywhere near our potential bar a few games every season and most of '15.

And I think that is why everyone on here can be so critical, even when we win. We know we can be so much better and more often. Obviously a team can't be 100% all the time, but our base level is impossible to place because we can be pretty average and then smash a team, scrape through another game, win comfortably again and then look like the team are playing together for the first time.

Melbourne have the blueprint right. Obviously the big 2/3 have made it really easy to implement, but they play like robots effectively and win most games they play.

I'm not saying Bellyache is a better coach, and maybe it's a hangover from the Hook era, but the players just don't seem to be able to play consistent, better-than-passable quality footy

Bennett put Dish Head/Barry Dick up to those two so he wasn't really bagging anyone.

I agree, whose fault is that though? Is it Milf's fault for not positioning himself properly (as a half surely he can dictate where he receives the ball?) or is it a training/coaching issue as everyone seems to be quite flat? I can see how standing flat and getting late passes off to a rampaging back rower running off you on a different angle could be really damaging, but we don't often see Gillette or Glenn doing that.....or at least they do it with a lot less rampaging.

It's not one or the other, unless you are Anderson and Kimmorley.

Players need to have game awareness, outside backs and halves as to what is needed and adjust to what the situation calls for. Brisbane don't adjust well to that.

Why broncos can't play the style they play in 2015? In 2015 our forward pack was average and don't dominate opposition forward pack. But broncos score long rage try. Last year it's was fustrated to watch the broncos play. In my point of view Kevin Walters deserve the credit for 2015.

Active Now

• Cavalo
  • Justwin
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Spoon
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
  • Gaz
  • FACTHUNT
  • BooKhaki
  • Galah
  • Santa
  • Sproj
  • ostin86
  • Astro
  • Battler
  • broncos4life
  • Griffo
  • BroncosAlways
  • LittleDavey
  • BroncoFan94
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.