Speed of the ruck this year. Is it too fast? Your thoughts

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
This year we know that the referees are concentrating on a number of areas in which the speed of the game may be affected. Primarily those associated with the play-the-ball. It was evident in Round 2 that a number of teams were incapable of keeping up with the speed of the game. A number of penalties relating to hands on the ball/ball carrying arm and also holding players down saw notable penalties shift the momentum of the game drastically and resulted in at least two players sent to the bin.

I would like to ask how you all felt regarding the speed of the ruck as well as the consistency of referees decisions? This can be from either a Broncos supporter standpoint to a neutral opinion.

It might pay to read these reports also:
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...finds-sharks-off-the-pace-20130318-2gbgv.html
http://www.nrl.com/glenn-reveals-br...essment/tabid/10874/newsid/71234/default.aspx

anything that brings the speed of the game closer to that of Super League gets a tick of approval from me.

Bring in penalties that just restart the tackle count though. shouldnt get marched 30m+ down field because of a hand on the ball, but it deserves a penalty.

Yep agree with AP. Teams will get used to the increased pace and it's overall a much less boring game. It was uber boring last year in those matches where both teams are just grinding and slowing the play the ball, I much prefer it this year. Bad ball handling is just a normal part of early season games.

I also think we should bring in tackle count reset penalties, especially under fast play the balls.

I think they tried restarting the tackle count in the all-stars game and no-one had any idea what the tackle count was, where to stand and whether to play the ball or not. But I still think it worked well.
I don't know if players can compete at that speed for 80 min. And the roll can cause massive blow-out scores and incredibly high penalty counts. Is this too much like rugby union?

How will teams counter this speed? Kicking the ball earlier into touch? Aerial ping-pong? Sounds ominously like another sport to me.

Last edited:
Well we obviously competed for 80 minutes with no ball at that speed and won well too, so teams can compete, it's just a matter of adjusting to the pace. There may be a few blowout scores but there's always 1-2 blow out scores per round, it's pretty standard stuff.

anything that brings the speed of the game closer to that of Super League gets a tick of approval from me.

Bring in penalties that just restart the tackle count though. shouldnt get marched 30m+ down field because of a hand on the ball, but it deserves a penalty.

Super league speed is ridiculous. It's touch football.

First of all, welcome to BHQ Organix!

Interesting point you make, although there is no such thing as too much speed in the ruck from my point of view.
In a clear disagreement with Peter Sharp, I believe it makes the game more spectacular!
And while you'll have more scoots from dummy half for quick meters, it will also give the better players in the game more room to use their talent and consequently, attract more public to the game.

As far as the Broncos go, we don't have a particularly fast hooker, like for example Souths, who has a lethal weapon in Luke, when it comes to taking advantage of fast play the balls. Still we have already seen some beautifully engineered tries by our backs, in both the Manly as well as the Dragons game, something we totally lacked last year.

I for one, totally support the current way of policing the ruck, but as always, the most important part will be consistency!

Last edited:
So far it seems like the viewers approve. But coaches may be a bit reluctant to accept it.

I must admit I find it more exciting but clearly it has startled a number of clubs that are unused to playing at such a pace. Super League is fairly rapid but I find the ball handling suffers because of it.

Also, at the set speed is 10 meters a good distance for defensive lines? It will definitely open up the playing field a lot more as the forwards struggle to retreat.

First of all, welcome to BHQ Organix!

Interesting point you make, although there is no such thing as too much speed in the ruck from my point of view.
In a clear disagreement with Peter Sharp, I believe it makes the game more spectacular!
And while you'll have more scoots from dummy half for quick meters, it will also give the better players in the game more room to use their talent and consequently, attract more public to the game.

As far as the Broncos go, we don't have a particularly fast hooker, like for example Souths, who has a lethal weapon in Luke, when it comes to taking advantage of fast play the balls. Still we have already seen some beautiful engineered by our backs, in both the Manly as well as the Dragons game.

I for one, totally support the current way of policing the ruck, but as always, the most important part will be consistency!

Thanks for the welcome. I have been trawling for some time but didn't register until recently then was rejected at first... anyway I really enjoy NRL and thought I might discuss it on a larger forum as most of my mates prefer duller sports.

I could not agree more about consistency! I thought from my one-eyed vantage point in front of the tele on friday night that the refs were not quite consistent with their calls in the Broncos game. I felt a number of penalties were not given to the Broncos if the refs were to be consistent.

btw im talking 1997 Australian Super League, not English Super League.

I was quite young during this era so disregard my comments on it. I only recall those Ansett jerseys, Alfie and winning the GF.

Totally agree AP

97 was a wonderfully entertaining year of footy

I am all for looking at anything that adds excitement to the game, and we all should be, as it's excitement that brings people to the game and also keeps them

When I converted to League from AFL back in 91 I started by watching Origin and a friend told me "if you like Origin you'll love the regular season, because it's more open" and he was right - the attacking plays of the regular season were more entertaining than the defence focus of origin

I think they tried restarting the tackle count in the all-stars game and no-one had any idea what the tackle count was, where to stand and whether to play the ball or not. But I still think it worked well.
I don't know if players can compete at that speed for 80 min. And the roll can cause massive blow-out scores and incredibly high penalty counts. Is this too much like rugby union?

How will teams counter this speed? Kicking the ball earlier into touch? Aerial ping-pong? Sounds ominously like another sport to me.

Melb have no problem countering the speed, they are just so good at pushing the limit. Sometimes I think they have the refs bluffed a bit because they just keep holding down and challenging them to blow the whistle, but it works for them so other teams need to get better at it. Melb also seem to get faster play the balls than most sides, because they pay so much attention to the ruck they get a big advantage in attack and D.

I think I honestly preferred the slow ruck speed to the massive increase of penalties we seem to be getting this year. Penalties are what ruined Yawnion.

I think I honestly preferred the slow ruck speed to the massive increase of penalties we seem to be getting this year. Penalties are what ruined Yawnion.
That'll be sorted once players get used to how long they can hold down.

Melb have no problem countering the speed, they are just so good at pushing the limit. Sometimes I think they have the refs bluffed a bit because they just keep holding down and challenging them to blow the whistle, but it works for them so other teams need to get better at it. Melb also seem to get faster play the balls than most sides, because they pay so much attention to the ruck they get a big advantage in attack and D.
So true. They certainly do push the envelope in slowing it down and basically challenge the refs each tackle as you said. If they do have a run of penalties against them they have the stamina and attack to withstand it.

Last edited:
They work so well because they don't need to slow the play the ball down in the ruck, they slow it down all they need while the tackle is being made by buying as much time as possible by holding the attacker up in the tackle up until the very last second then putting him on his back.

They work so well because they don't need to slow the play the ball down in the ruck, they slow it down all they need while the tackle is being made by buying as much time as possible by holding the attacker up in the tackle up until the very last second then putting him on his back.
exactly.

the best way to slow down the ruck is to hold the ball carrier up/work them over while standing for the maximum amount the refs will allow minus a second, then push them over and do the same on the ground. no hand on ball needed, no coming up with the leg.

Active Now

• sooticus
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  • GCBRONCO
  • Porthoz
  • Wolfie
  • Foordy
  • Johnny92
  • Kev_Guz
  • Sproj
  • Fitzy
  • Broncorob
  • Mustafur
  • BooKhaki
  • Tim K
  • Lurker
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • FACTHUNT
  • ChewThePhatt
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.