Tesi Niu

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
I'm not sure why people are taking it so personally. Tesi is rocks and diamonds and yes he is young so he has time to improve, but I think a lot are a bit tired of potential overriding current ability.

Currently, he has a bit to work on. Until he proves he has worked on his deficiencies, people have every right to be skeptical. He is in a key position where any mistake will be magnified because its likely to result in points conceded or a momentum shift. I don't think anyone had made personal attacks on tesi so I'm a bit bemused by some taking it like it's a personal sleight.

I don't think anyone wants him to fail. I certainly don't anyway.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Get pretty pissed with all the negative comments regarding Tesi. There is more of an upside than downside and I am sure he will be a valuable member of our squad moving forward. Remember he is young and still learning. Blind Freddy can see his enormous potential. Cast your minds back to when Hodgo and K Hunt started their careers and mistakes they made. Try supporting the kid instead of criticising his every move. Rant over.

I dont think Hunt is a great example. Karmichael was levels above Tesi at 17 when he debuted. He literally had no fear about anything. Niu isnt even close to his level.

Its not like people are crucifying Tesi for no reason. The things people tend to be critical of with him are things he probably should have in his game already. If you want to play fullback, you have to be able to organise and talk, you have to be able to take the high ball under pressure and you cant be passive in defence. His attack is perfectly fine, its really good in most instances, but its those basics i mentioned where he is lacking. Playing a lot of footy at fullback could fix those things up in time, i'd expect him to develop some areas but as i have said elsewhere, i dont see why if Tesi was so highly rated they would have gone back for Walsh.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Imagine a first grade fullback for a top tier club that wont go near a bomb to save his life. Yeah that's our man Tesi Nui. He ***** shit up that you learn in under 12s. Our defence has been shit since he took over from Martin. No wonder the club went and bought Walsh back next year.

HarryAllan7

HarryAllan7

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
Lots of young players come in with flashy attacking flair and can look impressive with ball in hand, but that's just not enough nowadays to play in the spine.
Tesi has shown very few of the skills required to be a success in the fullback jersey, starting with even a willingness to attempt to catch bombs.

It seems as if all of Tesi's promise has been solely as a ballrunner ... kind of like a young Milford when he was at the Raiders. I don't see him progressing to the level of a passable fullback any time soon. Walsh is a very similar player from what I've seen of him, although he seems to have some of the playmaking skills to take his game to the next level - and I hope he does, he seems a much more likely prospect than Niu.

Personally I think what we need right now is a less flashy but more fundamentally sound fullback like TMM or Dylan Edwards at Penrith who can organise the defence, play good positional footy, minimise mistakes and play their role in attacking structures, but it doesn't seem the route we're going and there will be some growing pains with Walsh in the fullback slot next year for sure.

Feels a little like our best chance of winning would see TMM at #1, but the best hope of developing future talent would see Niu at #1... same situation with Mariner / Lee... It almost feels like Kevvie is happy to throw the towel on our premiership hopes this season and look to next year and his selections are mirroring that - I hope that's not the case and I hope the players don't feel it is either, but some of these selections are certainly more 'forward looking' than you might expect....

M

Maroon4life

QCup Player
May 28, 2016
Can`t tackle , can`t communicate , bad at counting numbers , can`t catch bombs , can`t clean up grubbers . No awareness . No urgency . Doesn`t set up his team mates .

But he`s in the team and TMM isn`t . Suck on that haters ...

He won’t be next year & you need to emotionally prepare yourself for that.

What are you related to the guy? Your staunch defense over a player whose barely first grade is laughable.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
That`s BS .
What I am seeing is the opposition kicking into the space between the FB and winger .
Then the FB and winger having debates about who`s call it is .

We saw it with Oates and now we have seen it with Hoeter . They want the tall wingers to contest the ball if there is a choice . I think it`s some thing they have practiced at training but fail to execute .

Seemed like it was the plan against the Tigers . If Tesi had jumped he would have been the one taking Reynolds out instead of Douheihi . Reynolds is blocking in front of Tesi . Tesi waiting for loose ball and Hoeter is going for the ball . Which he fcked up and lead to a try .

Or should two players jump for the ball ? So when it comes loose its a clear run to the try line ?

If he was scared to catch the bombs . I highly doubt K Walters would carry him in the team .
Did you watch him play FB in cup? He’s improved but no way you can blame coaching. His refusal to catch bombs in cup was appalling

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Did you watch him play FB in cup? He’s improved but no way you can blame coaching. His refusal to catch bombs in cup was appalling
What are your thoughts about him at centre?

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
What are your thoughts about him at centre?
I couldn’t tell you because the experience of witnessing Tesi play centre shattered my psyche into dozens of distinct personalities like the movie Split and the persona who stores those memories is so hell bent on destruction that all the remaining personalities work together to prevent it taking control.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
Lots of young players come in with flashy attacking flair and can look impressive with ball in hand, but that's just not enough nowadays to play in the spine.
Tesi has shown very few of the skills required to be a success in the fullback jersey, starting with even a willingness to attempt to catch bombs.

It seems as if all of Tesi's promise has been solely as a ballrunner ... kind of like a young Milford when he was at the Raiders. I don't see him progressing to the level of a passable fullback any time soon. Walsh is a very similar player from what I've seen of him, although he seems to have some of the playmaking skills to take his game to the next level - and I hope he does, he seems a much more likely prospect than Niu.

Personally I think what we need right now is a less flashy but more fundamentally sound fullback like TMM or Dylan Edwards at Penrith who can organise the defence, play good positional footy, minimise mistakes and play their role in attacking structures, but it doesn't seem the route we're going and there will be some growing pains with Walsh in the fullback slot next year for sure.

Feels a little like our best chance of winning would see TMM at #1, but the best hope of developing future talent would see Niu at #1... same situation with Mariner / Lee... It almost feels like Kevvie is happy to throw the towel on our premiership hopes this season and look to next year and his selections are mirroring that - I hope that's not the case and I hope the players don't feel it is either, but some of these selections are certainly more 'forward looking' than you might expect....
With the players we have in the backline Staggs, Cobbo, Herbie, Oates with Reynolds at 7 a fullback like TMM or Edwards suits those guys because you want them getting the ball in good opportunities and space as much as position. Not your run first style fullback.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
He won’t be next year & you need to emotionally prepare yourself for that.

What are you related to the guy? Your staunch defense over a player whose barely first grade is laughable.

Keep sippin that Haterade .

K Walters thinks he`s his best #1 . That`s all that matters .

M

Maroon4life

QCup Player
May 28, 2016
Keep sippin that Haterade .

K Walters thinks he`s his best #1 . That`s all that matters

For now whilst TMM is injured and we are waiting on Walsh for next year. How do you not see this?

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
For now whilst TMM is injured and we are waiting on Walsh for next year. How do you not see this?

FFS !
Ignorance is bliss eh ?

TMM has been 18th man the last 2 weeks . That means he is ready to play . He is playing for Wynnum this weekend .

And Walsh broke his contract and came to Brisbane on a bargain price . Not like Kev or Ikin said we are shopping for a #1 .

Back ups for bargain prices is smart . Doesn`t mean the sign writers are putting Walsh`s name on Tesi`s locker .

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Harry Sack
  • BooKhaki
  • broncotville
  • pennywisealfie
  • theshed
  • Cavalo
  • Santa
  • The Don
  • Justwin
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Porthoz
  • broncsgoat
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.