The Dolphins discussion

My guess is that it's a simple case of r.o.i.
The Dolphins from Brisbane, SEQ as a description is likely to have a broader appeal, a Brisbane team to soak up the ardent non Broncos fans, a team for the lovers of under dogs ( a much stronger force than most appreciate) a team for the many Queenslanders who notionally have a 'foreign' team in the comp but would start supporting a new team if it was 'their hometown team' and not the Broncos.

I think Redcliffe says ' another out of town team' even though I personally don't think that, having lived in Scarborough for a few years.

Either Terry Reader is full of shit......or the NRL , in party with the QRL......made the Dolphins sell their soul to join the NRL.

Why would NRL Redcliffe and QRL Redcliffe be any different to;

Panthers, Bulldogs, etc etc etc......NRL & NSW Cup ?

Its complete and utter horse shit!
You nailed it in your first seven words.
you can drop the ‘either’ and make it six.

My guess is that it's a simple case of r.o.i.
The Dolphins from Brisbane, SEQ as a description is likely to have a broader appeal, a Brisbane team to soak up the ardent non Broncos fans, a team for the lovers of under dogs ( a much stronger force than most appreciate) a team for the many Queenslanders who notionally have a 'foreign' team in the comp but would start supporting a new team if it was 'their hometown team' and not the Broncos.

I think Redcliffe says ' another out of town team' even though I personally don't think that, having lived in Scarborough for a few years.
If you're a non-Bronco QLD'r....you already have options from The Gold Coast and North QLD if you want to follow a QLD team other than Brisbane. Redcliffe would be the same.......another option.

Redcliffe have 75 years of RL history....why should they throw that away because some **** lives in Hervey Bay or Caloundra and wants to identify with his "home" side. He can choose his home side to be Redcliffe...or the Gold Coast or North Queensland, if he doesn't like Brisbane. Why should Redcliffe be......the rest of QLD?

@theshed I thought i'd fact check your copyright claims ... and while not exactly copyright, Terry Reader is claiming that if they called themselves the "Redcliffe Dolphins", they wouldn't be permitted to play in the QLD Cup ... because NRL clubs MUST have multiple Qld Cup affiliates.

and even if that was the case, why couldn't they have Redcliffe as one affiliate and Capra's as the second etc

I don't buy that the QRL can dictate to NRL clubs what they do or how many affiliates they have.

they must have thought their other excuse was more believable (about wanting to appeal to a broader area and not alienate potential fans) because that's the one that they been mainly using

Terry Reader said:

“We weren’t allowed to be called Redcliffe or we wouldn’t be allowed to play in the Queensland Cup,” Reader said. “[NRL clubs] must have multiple affiliates in the QRL competition, so we have got Redcliffe and the Capras.”
Thanks for looking into it. I only half heard and half remembered the comment in the show itself.

@1910 do you have any insight?

Thanks for looking into it. I only half heard and half remembered the comment in the show itself.

@1910 do you have any insight?

It was the QRL. They wanted a difference between the two and some protections for “their” club.

If you're a non-Bronco QLD'r....you already have options from The Gold Coast and North QLD if you want to follow a QLD team other than Brisbane. Redcliffe would be the same.......other option.

Redcliffe have 75 years of RL history....why should they throw that away because some **** lives in Hervey Bay or Caloundra and wants to identify with his "home" side. He can choose his home side to be Redcliffe...or the Gold Coast or North Queensland, if he doesn't like Brisbane. Why should Redcliffe be......the rest of QLD?

But the Titans or Cowboys won't be their home side. It's a Qld side, yes, but not their home side. I know plenty of people who live in Ipswich etc that support the Cowboys because it feels more like a rural, non-big-city side, so I'm not saying you're wrong. But having a very vague "region" as your home base is even better when their literal purpose is intended to be "Greater Brisbane, but not the Broncos".

It was the QRL. They wanted a difference between the two and some protections for “their” club.
Thought they were in there....

"their club" being Redcliffe Dolphins......
NRL's club being Redcliffe Dolphins

Exactly the same as it is in the NSW cup (for the better part) Panthers, Bulldogs, etc etc
NSW Cup Panthers
NRL Panthers

Whats different here?

@1910 ...?

But having a very vague "region" as your home base is even better when their literal purpose is intended to be "Greater Brisbane, but not the Broncos".
Then why not support Redcliffe......a City that defines greater Brisbane....?

Redcliffe is just as good a name to follow as Morton Bay Dolphins...its also NOT Brisbane.

What difference does it make to someone from Dalby...on whether or not they'll follow the Redcliffe Dolphins or the MB Dolphins
cause they hate the Broncos anyway...right?

Its fucked up.....

Well then, there's the answer to how the club should be investing their cash. The Broncos have resisted having a Qld Cup side because they didn't want to alienate the existing feeder clubs. So why don't they set up The Broncos and enter them in to the Qld comp?

It will at least match Redcl... The Dolphins with their current advantage of having a team they can play for from juniors through to first grade. And with Darth Vlandys planning to water down the comp, the Broncos need to be doing as much as possible to foster kids who want to play for them.

Then why not support Redcliffe......a City that defines greater Brisbane....?

Redcliffe is just as good a name to follow as Morton Bay Dolphins...its also NOT Brisbane.

What difference does it make to someone from Dalby...on whether or not they'll follow the Redcliffe Dolphins or the MB Dolphins
cause they hate the Broncos anyway...right?

Its fucked up.....

Yes, that is the parallel with the Cowboys fans, but it's not the same as a genuine "home" team option. As much as I hate that they dropped the Redcliffe name, it has worked exactly as intended. It is Brisbane II in people's psyche, and therefore very comfortable for people to adopt.

Well then, there's the answer to how the club should be investing their cash. The Broncos have resisted having a Qld Cup side because they didn't want to alienate the existing feeder clubs. So why don't they set up The Broncos and enter them in to the Qld comp?
I imagine some of the argument could be about the feeder clubs.
But I'm sure in todays game, all clubs....... even those based outside of QLD, have access to the QRL sides.....

I agree exactly as you suggest...the Broncos should have a QRL side. Its should be practised that all NRL clubs have access to both NSW & QRL sides.

Yes, that is the parallel with the Cowboys fans, but it's not the same as a genuine "home" team option. As much as I hate that they dropped the Redcliffe name, it has worked exactly as intended. It is Brisbane II in people's psyche, and therefore very comfortable for people to adopt.
Most of the crowds have been chanting "REDCLIFFE" at the live games......

Thought they were in there....

"their club" being Redcliffe Dolphins......
NRL's club being Redcliffe Dolphins

Exactly the same as it is in the NSW cup (for the better part) Panthers, Bulldogs, etc etc
NSW Cup Panthers
NRL Panthers

Whats different here?

@1910 ...?

NSWRL don't mind that nuclear club approach, QRL don't like that.

NSWRL don't mind that nuclear club approach, QRL don't like that.

Arent the Cowboys though mainly sending everyone now to the Blackhawks even though the Cutters and Pride are still feeder clubs? What do the QRL make of that?

It will at least match Redcl... The Dolphins with their current advantage of having a team they can play for from juniors through to first grade. And with Darth Vlandys planning to water down the comp, the Broncos need to be doing as much as possible to foster kids who want to play for them.

Problem there and I always raise this is- the QRL are not putting another club in Brisbane.

Arent the Cowboys though mainly sending everyone now to the Blackhawks even though the Cutters and Pride are still feeder clubs? What do the QRL make of that?

They still send players to the other clubs. Fringe players go to the Blackhawks and to compensate the Cutters and Pride they give them more money.

The QLD NRL clubs should pull their cash out of the QRL if they are going to be like that ... se how the QRL like it then.

no way should they allow the QRL to hold them to ransom and continually disadvantaged when compared to the NSW clubs

Active Now

• Manifesto
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Rough and Ready
  • broncos4life
  • Big Del
  • Skyblues87
  • Dazza 92
  • Bucking Beads
  • Swordfish
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Painin the Haas
  • levikaden
  • BroncosAlways
  • sooticus
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.