The Dolphins discussion

Ha ha ha. Aboriginals have been around for thousands of years too. It’s like Sandgate. Aboriginal word meaning gate made of sand. Behave. 😆
Not the point. Redcliffe, as a name/sound is not remotely connected to an aboriginal language(s)

It's origin is elsewhere and the claim that aboriginal people's had a name for the area is irrelevant in this context.

The only explanation I've heard is that Redcliffe would limit their appeal. So they stuck with the Dolphins since it has Coastal appeal and they represent the North of Brisbane up to Rockhampton.

My theory is that they didn't want to 'promote' Redcliffe from the QRL. The history of the club etc. would have made it messy so instead they've gone with the idea that they were born out of Redcliffe but they're their own identity.

It'll be interesting to see how long it lasts. The Redcliffe chant definitely received some press and the whole Arthur Beetson story centred on Redcliffe vs. Sydney.
I mean do they really? This is the problem with not even having a region like the Cowboys do. North Queensland can cover down to Mackay, Rocky or even Gladstone and across central Queensland.

I’m from the Fraser Coast originally and we generally all have teams already (at least when I was younger).

All it will do currently is appeal to bandwagoners that want something new and shiny, don’t have a team, and/or hate the Broncos - the same as everywhere else in the state so they aren’t really representing an area, just a random collective

Sunny Coast might have a bit more appeal as they may be willing to go to some games at Reddy, but the Storm have put a lot of effort into that area in recent years with the Falcons

Of course it’s a long-term strategy to attract fans but I still think not having a region or location will do more harm than good. Hell when I used to live in the Moreton Bay Area I was drawn to the Phins because they were the team for that area - even bought a jersey. But if they were just known as The Dolphins even at QCup level I wouldn’t have given a shit.

They're Sea World, as far as I'm concerned.
Red cove dolphins?

Peace Out Goodbye GIF by Karsten Torebjer

I mean do they really? This is the problem with not even having a region like the Cowboys do. North Queensland can cover down to Mackay, Rocky or even Gladstone and across central Queensland.

I’m from the Fraser Coast originally and we generally all have teams already (at least when I was younger).

All it will do currently is appeal to bandwagoners that want something new and shiny, don’t have a team, and/or hate the Broncos - the same as everywhere else in the state so they aren’t really representing an area, just a random collective

Sunny Coast might have a bit more appeal as they may be willing to go to some games at Reddy, but the Storm have put a lot of effort into that area in recent years with the Falcons

Of course it’s a long-term strategy to attract fans but I still think not having a region or location will do more harm than good. Hell when I used to live in the Moreton Bay Area I was drawn to the Phins because they were the team for that area - even bought a jersey. But if they were just known as The Dolphins even at QCup level I wouldn’t have given a shit.
They seem to be going alright for fans to be honest.

People in the Redcliffe area will be drawn to them regardless especially if they are engaging the community correctly which I would be shocked if they aren’t. They have an organic fan base plus they are going to do a great job in attracting young fans from around the rest of the country.

Rugby League is ultimately, and wisely, targeted at kids. Being angry about jersey designs and team names is the bogan equivalent of being a neck beard. Sure you can enjoy the brainless action of Marvel movies (footy) despite them being mostly targeted at children but you need to remember you’re an adult when you start complaining about the costumes (jerseys) or script (team name)

Not the point. Redcliffe, as a name/sound is not remotely connected to an aboriginal language(s)

It's origin is elsewhere and the claim that aboriginal people's had a name for the area is irrelevant in this context.
Was a joke mate. Lighten up and welcome back. Missed you.

It's too early to say but based on what we've seen so far they've been active in those areas so they're not just talking the talk.

I'd imagine in time they'll restore the Redcliffe name. For the time being, they're just trying to be as inclusive as possible so they can pass as 'Brisbane II' and appeal to Central Queensland fans.

It would have to irk some Dolphins supporters that 'Redcliffe' isn't good enough to be an NRL team. I'm sure they're happy just to have some representation, but there's this feeling that the NRL took the richest club and slapped together their own version of it to satisfy this 'demand' for a Brisbane II.

A demand that was driven by Sydney because it was unfair that one club had an entire city to itself.

Still, I'd like to think of it as an opportunity for the game to grow in southern Queensland. It's in the NRL's best interest this franchise does well and iron sharpens iron so the next group of juniors should be better.

I'd imagine in time they'll restore the Redcliffe name. For the time being, they're just trying to be as inclusive as possible so they can pass as 'Brisbane II' and appeal to Central Queensland fans.

I still think central QLD / QLD league fans will follow any choice if they're unsatisfied with the currently available.
Called
Redcliffe Dolphins .....or whatever Dolphins...as long as it isn't the Broncos is all that counts, for a large majority.

IMO there's behind the scenes commitments that the Dolphins power brokers have made (along with every other **** who asked them to bend over)
.......that is resisting using the name Redcliffe

The Moreton Bay Council are notoriously cunty.....

I'll bet my left nut that an early name try will be "Moreton Bay Dolphins"....or something close to it.

I could almost go along with it personally......

Artie owned The Moreton Bay Hotel....... which was a great pub to drink in, back in the day. Legendary.

But of course now
"someone" closed it ..... rebirthed
and changed the name.

Said it before, this name thing with the Dolphins seems to be bothering Broncos fans more than it does Redcliffe fans. They all still refer to themselves as Redcliffe mostly so it doesnt matter what the official name is.

Said it before, this name thing with the Dolphins seems to be bothering Broncos fans more than it does Redcliffe fans. They all still refer to themselves as Redcliffe mostly so it doesnt matter what the official name is.
Thats where you're wrong sir.....

How about instead of Wolfie......Nashy was ****, and named you Butterfly.....and that was your official handle?

You OK within that?

It doesn't matter.....we all know that once upon a time you were known as Wolfie ....a man amongst men.

How about instead of Wolfie......Nashy was ****, and named you Butterfly.....and that was your official handle?

You OK within that?

It doesn't matter.....we all know that once upon a time you were known as Wolfie ....a man amongst men.

Wouldnt bother me much tbh. Butterfly is fine.

I dont think i am wrong though about their fans being overly bothered about the loss of Redcliffe in their NRL name. I've been watching Redcliffe and going to games there for years now and i think i've only come across one fan there who is really bothered with it all, although obviously there would be more. Its fair to say they would all prefer to just be called Redcliffe Dolphins as thats ultimately who they are but i still feel its a bigger deal to others.

They’ve been Shellgrit and Seagulls too. They weren’t Dolphins until eight years in!

Really the fight should be for Shellgrit to come back.

They’ve been Shellgrit and Seagulls too. They weren’t Dolphins until eight years in!

Really the fight should be for Shellgrit to come back.
Now you’re talking! Make it so.

This might be a broncos bubble but it isn't just Broncos fans saying this, it's everyone.

Afterall they are the only team in the entire league with no location in their official name.

You OK within that?

What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other word would smell as sweet

Active Now

• Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Harry Sack
  • lynx000
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Fozz
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.