The GOAT in all Positions

Son Edo

Son Edo

NRL Player
Sep 14, 2011
from the 1 to 13, who're the Greatest Of All Time in each position.

Last edited:
Nice topic - although I did wonder what goats had to do with it initially.

Tough question to answer, given the oldest of us on this forum would only have actual memories of players back to the 1970s at the earliest.

Will contemplate.

I got GOAT from the Wrestling Forums.

Fullback - Billy Slater
Wing - (tough..) Wendell Sailor
Centre - Mal Meninga
Five Eigth - Wally Lewis
Halfback - Allan Langer
Prop - Shane Webcke
Hooker - Cameron Smith
Second Row - Gordon Tallis
Lock - Paul Gallen

Halfback: Andrew Johns
Prop: Glen Lazarus
Hooker: Cam Smith

Are the only choices I feel confident in. If Lewis played in the premier competition and been successful he would have been an easy pick at five eigth but that omission gives the likes of Fulton & even Kenny a slight edge.

Similar to Subsligh in most positions except Prop, removed the lock category and added a much needed category... :laugh:

FB: Billy Slater
Wing: Wendell Sailor
Centre: Mal Meninga
5/8: Wally Lewis
HB: Allan Langer
Prop: Glen Lazarus
Hooker: Cameron Smith
2nd Row: Gordon Tallis

FB & 5/8: Darren Lockyer

Last edited:
Fullback: Darren Lockyer
Winger: Wendell Sailor
Centre: Steve Renouf
5/8: Darren Lockyer
Halfback: Allan Langer
Prop: Shane Webcke
Hooker: Steve Walters
2nd Row: Gorden Tallis
Lock: Brad Clyde

Centre: Steve Renouf
5/8: Darren Lockyer
Halfback: Allan Langer
Hooker: Steve Walters
2nd Row: Gorden Tallis
Lock: Brad Clyde

Hope Dell doesn't read the forum. Pretty much getting a default "greatest" title because no-one can really think of a better winger right now.

The only other great winger I can think of is his Broncos mate Lote Tuqiri. Folau could get up there as well, but he moved quickly to centre and didn't play the game long enough to warrant a spot in the GOATs.

1. Slater
2. Inglis
3. Renouf
6. Lockyer
7. Johns
8. Lazarus
9. Smith
11. Tallis
13. Clyde

Multi-Position Player. Darren Smith

Going on those I've seen, I'd probably go this:

Fullback: Billy Slater
Centre: Steve Renouf (didn't see a great deal of Meninga)
Five-Eight: Darren Lockyer
Second Row: Gordon Tallis
Lock: Ben Kennedy (flame away)

Coach: Des Hasler

Wing position is tough. Wendell could have been the best winger of all time, he certainly had the talent and the achievements to afford him such an honour, but his defection and flamboyancy hurt him in my eyes. Still, I've yet to see a better year from a winger than Dell's 2000. Aside from Hayne in Origin 09, I've never seen a winger dominate as much as Dell did that year.

I haven't seen enough of Bousted & Irvine to judge but their achievements put them right up there. I've caught a fair bit of Grothe Sr. and while he certainly had his time on top, he didn't have the longevity Dell did.

From who I've seen enough of

Centre: Greg Inglis
Five-Eights: Darren Lockyer
Second Row: Gordon Tallis
Lock: Paul Gallen

As far as greatest of all time, I'd imagine Lockyer @ fullback, Johns @ halfback and Smith @ hooker would probably be there.

Fullback: Lockyer
Wing: Grothe snr
Centre: Meninga
5/8: Wally
Halfback: Alf
Prop: Beetson
Hooker: Cam Smith
2nd row: Tallis
lock: Lindner

im very surprised at the amount of people putting johns at halfback over alf, especially after the uproar on here about him being named an immortal.

i appreciate that he was a damn good player, up there with the most talented ive ever seen, but he was far too inconsistent compared to someone like Langer to be considered the best of all time IMO.

the only ones id be confident in naming:

Fullback: Slater
Halfback: Langer
Hooker: Smith

im very surprised at the amount of people putting johns at halfback over alf, especially after the uproar on here about him being named an immortal.

i appreciate that he was a damn good player, up there with the most talented ive ever seen, but he was far too inconsistent compared to someone like Langer to be considered the best of all time IMO.

the only ones id be confident in naming:

Fullback: Slater
Halfback: Langer
Hooker: Smith

The only thing inconsistent about Johns was injuries, when he played he was generally excellent especially between about 2000-2005. The guy won 3 Dally M's (I know they aren't the best judge) but you still have to be consistently very good to win one let alone three.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Dee
  • Morkel
  • Locky24
  • Allo
  • Battler
  • pennywisealfie
  • Jedhead
  • Skathen
  • Dash
  • Broncorob
  • barker
  • Bish
  • thenry
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.