Top 5 most valuable Broncos players

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I can't believe that so many people have Milford as our most valuable player ... there is no way he is the most valuable.
And by a large distance. We barely noticed Boyd's absence with Kahu at FB, who do we have that can make us forget Milf?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
And by a large distance. We barely noticed Boyd's absence with Kahu at FB, who do we have that can make us forget Milf?

everyone loves Milford, I get that, I love him too. but he isn't our most valuable player. he is certainly in the top 5 but probably at 4 or 5.

If we lost Milford (even for an extended period), I think we'd survive (although it is certainly better to have him in the team)

I really rate Kahu at fullback, but Boyd has taken his game to another level over the last 12 months, we'd certainly miss Boyd if we lost him now (as opposed to when Kahu covered for him 2 years ago)

K

Kyall

NRL Player
Oct 4, 2016
In my opinion yes I believe Pangai Jr is in the top 5.
He will add a lot to this side this year. He will be our main impact off the bench our Wallace 2.0 and a player we will really want to hang onto and develop.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
1. Boyd
2. Milford
3. Hunt
4. Macca
5. Gillett

Seriously, we made a GF without McGuire for half the season...

If McGuire plays in the GF, that game doesn't even go to Golden Point.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
everyone loves Milford, I get that, I love him too. but he isn't our most valuable player. he is certainly in the top 5 but probably at 4 or 5.

If we lost Milford (even for an extended period), I think we'd survive (although it is certainly better to have him in the team)

I really rate Kahu at fullback, but Boyd has taken his game to another level over the last 12 months, we'd certainly miss Boyd if we lost him now (as opposed to when Kahu covered for him 2 years ago)
It has nothing to do with loving the kid.

Surely you cannot be serious and think that we'd miss Boyd more than Milford?

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
We lose Boyd in 2016, we don't make the finals.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Probably, but the same can be said about Milford.

BS... how does he get such as free pass around here...

His form wasn't any better than Hunt's in 2016.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
BS... how does he get such as free pass around here...

His form wasn't any better than Hunt's in 2016.
Yes it was, not towards the end of the season, but certainly the first half of it. In fact he carried us during that period, but memory can be so selective and fickle...

Besides, that is not the point. It's about whom is harder to replace, and while Boyd was our best player towards the end of last season, he's still nowhere near the hardest to replace!

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
1. Darius Boyd
2. Adam Blair
3. Matt Gillett
4. Anthony Milford
5. Ben Hunt

The Broncos wouldn't be anything without their defence. They're one of the most resilient sides in the competition and a large part of that is the role Darius Boyd plays at fullback. His ability to organise the defence is second to none in the competition and while it's flawed, opposition teams still struggle with him playing in the frontline.

Darius maybe the organiser, but Blair is the enforcer. His work off the ball is absolutely tremendous and he gives the Broncos a fear factor that they'd be missing since Tunza hung them up. Not only that, but his ability to produce quick play the balls is the impetus behind the Broncos attack and you'll often find their best plays come off the back of him.

I'll never forget the game in Auckland. Bennett decided to rest Matt Gillett and the Warriors had an absolute field day running down our right fringe. It wasn't like Thaiday was awful either, he just wasn't as good as Matty Gillett. His efforts on the line are inspirational and he never gets enough credit for his ability to produce under pressure. When it's all said and done, he's one of the greatest Broncos backrows in club history.

Milf is a freakish talent and when he's on, he's capable of carrying any side to victory. He's fantastic to watch and I have no doubt he can be the best player in the competition. However at this stage he's still co-dependent and usually has to rely on others to bring him into the game.

Finally, there's the much maligned Ben Hunt. While his star may have faded since the 2015 Grand Final, he was clearly #1 at the Broncos and he still poses a massive threat to opposition defences. I find it difficult to imagine how Brisbane would play without Hunt at 7, he's responsible for so much I think they would have really struggled. He's going to be a big loss for the club and it wouldn't surprise me if he's rated higher by the end of this season or next.

Outside of a select few, I'd never consider a winger for this category but both Corey Oates & Jordan Kahu deserve honorable mentions. Like Milford, Oates is just a freak and his ability to churn out the metres, create and finish opportunities has made a huge difference to the side. Kahu is one of the most underrated players in the competition and his ability to conjure big plays both with and without the ball doesn't get anywhere near the recognition it deserves. He can play anywhere in the backline and it's a shame that injuries have prevented him from finding his feet.

Horseheadsup

Horseheadsup

NRL Player
Mar 21, 2016
1. Darius Boyd
2. Adam Blair
3. Matt Gillett
4. Anthony Milford
5. Ben Hunt

The Broncos wouldn't be anything without their defence. They're one of the most resilient sides in the competition and a large part of that is the role Darius Boyd plays at fullback. His ability to organise the defence is second to none in the competition and while it's flawed, opposition teams still struggle with him playing in the frontline.

Darius maybe the organiser, but Blair is the enforcer. His work off the ball is absolutely tremendous and he gives the Broncos a fear factor that they'd be missing since Tunza hung them up. Not only that, but his ability to produce quick play the balls is the impetus behind the Broncos attack and you'll often find their best plays come off the back of him.

I'll never forget the game in Auckland. Bennett decided to rest Matt Gillett and the Warriors had an absolute field day running down our right fringe. It wasn't like Thaiday was awful either, he just wasn't as good as Matty Gillett. His efforts on the line are inspirational and he never gets enough credit for his ability to produce under pressure. When it's all said and done, he's one of the greatest Broncos backrows in club history.

Milf is a freakish talent and when he's on, he's capable of carrying any side to victory. He's fantastic to watch and I have no doubt he can be the best player in the competition. However at this stage he's still co-dependent and usually has to rely on others to bring him into the game.

Finally, there's the much maligned Ben Hunt. While his star may have faded since the 2015 Grand Final, he was clearly #1 at the Broncos and he still poses a massive threat to opposition defences. I find it difficult to imagine how Brisbane would play without Hunt at 7, he's responsible for so much I think they would have really struggled. He's going to be a big loss for the club and it wouldn't surprise me if he's rated higher by the end of this season or next.

Outside of a select few, I'd never consider a winger for this category but both Corey Oates & Jordan Kahu deserve honorable mentions. Like Milford, Oates is just a freak and his ability to churn out the metres, create and finish opportunities has made a huge difference to the side. Kahu is one of the most underrated players in the competition and his ability to conjure big plays both with and without the ball doesn't get anywhere near the recognition it deserves. He can play anywhere in the backline and it's a shame that injuries have prevented him from finding his feet.
Awesome post !

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
But we did lose him for the last half of the season and still made the finals.
giphy.gif

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • porouian
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Dash
  • Justwin
  • Jedhead
  • john1420
  • Broncosarethebest
  • broncsgoat
  • Alec
  • BroncosAlways
  • Wolfie
  • Cavalo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.