Top Backlines in the NRL 2016

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
This is the result of voting on the NRL.com site. I feel our backline is underrated and some overrated, in particular chooks and warriors.

What do you think?

While they don't provide the same grunt and gusto as the forwards provide, where would our great game be without the razzle dazzle of the backs? Here are the top five backlines in the NRL heading into the 2016, as voted by the writers at NRL.com. 5. Broncos
Backline: Boyd, Kahu, Reed, Roberts, Oates, Milford, Hunt
The Broncos have filled the spot left by retired captain Justin Hodges in superb fashion by signing Dally M Centre of the Year James Roberts for the next two seasons. Ben Hunt is sure to bounce back from his disappointing grand final showing and his combination with Anthony Milford will only grow stronger. Test star Darius Boyd isn't one to overlook either.
4. Cowboys
Backline: Coote, Feldt, O'Neill, Linnett, Winterstein, Morgan, Thurston
The premiership-winning backline has a lot of expectations to live up to in 2016. Lachlan Coote was one of the game's most improved players in 2015 while Michael Morgan's move from fullback to five-eighth worked wonders. Johnathan Thurston was the glue which held it all together with unexpected stars such as Justin O'Neill and Antonio Winterstein starring under his leadership. Surprisingly Kane Linnett was one the game's top five metre eaters in 2015.
3. Roosters
Backline: Ferguson, Burgess, Jennings, Kenny-Dowall, Tupou, Hastings, Pearce
Even with the losses of Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and James Maloney the Roosters have one of the most respected backlines in the competition. Jackson Hastings showed, when filling in for his new halves partner Mitchell Pearce, that he has what it takes to be successful at first-grade level. Blake Ferguson's likely shift to fullback means Shaun Kenny-Dowall can move back to his preferred centre position, while England international Joe Burgess will be looking to show his worth in Australia on the wing.
2. Warriors
Backline: Tuivasa-Sheck, Wright, Lolohea, Kata, Vatuvei, Leuluai, Johnson
A fully fit Shaun Johnson brings the Warriors' backline up a couple of notches. The losses of Sam Tomkins and Chad Townsend will be easily filled by a fully fit Thomas Leuluai and star recruit Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. Jonathan Wright will face the most competition for his wing spot with Konrad Hurrell choosing to remain at the club, while Manu Vatuvei remains arguably the best winger in the world.
1. Sea Eagles
Backline: Stewart, Taufua, Lyon, Matai, Trbojevic, Walker, Cherry-Evans
The departure of Peta Hiku to Penrith means Tom Trbojevic's path to consistent first grade football has been made a whole lot easier, while the arrival of South Sydney star Dylan Walker goes a long way to making up for the exit of Kieran Foran to the Eels. With Kangaroo Daly Cherry-Evans pulling the strings, Jamie Lyon and Steve Matai providing a mountain of experience in the centres, Jorge Taufua adding power out wide, Brett Stewart still a try-scoring weapon at the back and Walker and Trbojevic among the game's most natural ball-runners, the Sea Eagles have a backline that's the envy of the rest of the competition.

NRL.com's Top 5 Backlines For 2016 - Broncos

Warriors one is a tad overrated..

I wouldn't have them 2nd. I would have them around 4th-5th.

Last edited:
Yeah I read that and thought...we're at number 5 only? Riiiiiiiiiiight! Meanwhile Manly's geriatrics are 1?

The Sea Eagles backline is really good in theory, but in reality, you may as well throw Symonds in as brackets because Stewart, Lyon and Matai keep breaking down. It also remains to be seen how Walker will go at five-eighth. I have a lot of time for Walker but I wasn't impressed with his last stint in the position, nor with his previous form.

The Warriors and Roosters have plenty of potential, but have too many question marks to be rated so highly. It doesn't help that the NRL.com has picked a really unflattering Warriors backline. If the Warriors backline is going to be at it's best, it will look like

1. RTS
2. Fusitua
3. Hurrell
4. Kata
5. Vatuvei
6. Lolohea
7. Johnson

Maybe it isn't realistic, but neither is NRL.coms predictions. A backline containing Jonathan Wright & Thomas Leuluai is the second best in the NRL? Bizarre.

The Roosters backline is a work in progress. They've got plenty of talent there, but I don't think it's the third best backline in the game. One of my biggest concerns with the Roosters is their lack of consistensy. Their forwards have been great, but players like Ferguson, Jennings, Tupou and SKD all have their moments and can really hurt their side. When things aren't going the Roosters way, I question whether these players will be able to lift without an RTS around to inspire something.

This is how I would have ranked them.

5. Manly Sea Eagles
4. Penrith Panthers
3. Melbourne Storm
2. Brisbane Broncos
1. North Queensland Cowboys

Unsurprisingly we're way too low and Warriors and Manly are way too high.

There is no way the roosters and manly have better backlines than us, none.

Agree with BP's rankings above

I don't rate the Roosters backline that highly. Ferguson is one of the deadliest centres, but he's incredibly uncoordinated and often has feet for hands. That's not what you want from your fullback. Hastings looks talented, but very unproven yet. Jennings probably won't even be there either.

I agree with BP above except ...for mine, the Broncos backline is No. 1. Roberts has added the missing ingredient: genuine speed in the centres, and Milford and Hunt will turn out to be the best halves combination (along with Morgan & Thurston) in '16, with the emphasis on further developing already very good combinations with our other backs.

I agree with BP above except ...for mine, the Broncos backline is No. 1. Roberts has added the missing ingredient: genuine speed in the centres, and Milford and Hunt will turn out to be the best halves combination (along with Morgan & Thurston) in '16, with the emphasis on further developing already very good combinations with our other backs.
I can't agree with that, although I think in total we should be 2nd or third.

Although Boyd has proven very good in everything he does defensively, he doesn't have the strike power of any of the other team's fullbacks attacking wise, and then... there's Reed.

In terms of ranking, looking only at a healthy roster, I have to go with:

1- Scum
2- Cows
3- Broncos
4- Warriors
5- Storm

healthy or not....that Manly backline is getting way over rated.

1. Sea Eagles
Backline: Stewart, Taufua, Lyon, Matai, Trbojevic, Walker, Cherry-Evans
The departure of Peta Hiku to Penrith means Tom Trbojevic's path to consistent first grade football has been made a whole lot easier, while the arrival of South Sydney star Dylan Walker goes a long way to making up for the exit of Kieran Foran to the Eels. With Kangaroo Daly Cherry-Evans pulling the strings, Jamie Lyon and Steve Matai providing a mountain of experience in the centres, Jorge Taufua adding power out wide, Brett Stewart still a try-scoring weapon at the back and Walker and Trbojevic among the game's most natural ball-runners, the Sea Eagles have a backline that's the envy of the rest of the competition.

Stewart's form is getting remembered from 2-3 yrs back.....he's lost pace and his suspect aerial defence is looking as shakey as his ankles, knees...groin etc etc, are.

Walker....really, what has he done. Potential as a centre...doesn't look like a 5/8's arsehole to me......and Tom Trbofuckenwho? Pfftt.....

Matai's only show point when he's actually on the field, is blind-siding attackers who 9/10 aren't looking.

Lyon is losing interest....again ......somebody must have criticised him to harshly last year, cause he sure looks to be sooking it up again.

Taufua is painfully inconsistent.....and isn't much better than Daniel Vidot.

DCE.....mehhh, maybe. I think he'll find it difficult without Foran there.

This is how I would have ranked them.

5. Manly Sea Eagles
4. Penrith Panthers
3. Melbourne Storm
2. Brisbane Broncos
1. North Queensland Cowboys

Swap the Panthers for the Roosters and that's pretty spot on.

No backline with Peter Wallace in it should ever be considered in a top 5.

The halves are easily the Panthers biggest weakness, but I really like the way Moylan is able to combine with his outside men and their wingers have scored some sensational tries. Some of the efforts DWZ made, particularly in big moments was outstanding for a 19 year old. Their depth is nothing to sneeze at either. Keep an eye out on Te Maire Martin, Fourex. He's still a little rough around the edges, but he's got a great all-round game and for mine and has been one of the best halves coming through.

the Warriors are too high because people are seduced by the incredible highs that 2-3 of them are capable of. as everyone else has said they're too high for a backline that will bounce between crazy good and really average

healthy or not....that Manly backline is getting way over rated.

Stewart's form is getting remembered from 2-3 yrs back.....he's lost pace and his suspect aerial defence is looking as shakey as his ankles, knees...groin etc etc, are.

I agree with the rest but Stewart still looks like he's got a little bit left in the tank. a decade ago I would have expected him to be hopeless once he lost his speed but today he manages to make up for it elsewhere. he's always near the action in attack and defence and he is a pretty good passer.

Has anyone heard any news about Johnson and his recovery? If he's no good, that team is dead in the water.

Has anyone heard any news about Johnson and his recovery? If he's no good, that team is dead in the water.
I saw videos on his twitter, he's running in training again. Looks to be all set for this year.

Unread

Active Now

• Cavalo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.