7pm — Saturday February 26: Rabbitohs vs Dragons
5.45pm — Sunday February 27: Storm vs Knights
7pm — Monday February 28: Sharks vs Bulldogs

Dash

Dash

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Dec 12, 2014
I caught the second half of a random Tigers game either last year or the year before where Billy came on as a utility half and I remember being surprised at how good his decision making was compared to Brooks. Pretty sure he was still benched the next week or dropped completely because I haven't seen him play since then.

It's not much to go on but I was always curious why he got so few games.
Doing his ACL while at the Tigers didn't help his cause. Previously he was at the Storm and he was never going to break into that spine.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I caught the second half of a random Tigers game either last year or the year before where Billy came on as a utility half and I remember being surprised at how good his decision making was compared to Brooks. Pretty sure he was still benched the next week or dropped completely because I haven't seen him play since then.

It's not much to go on but I was always curious why he got so few games.

He did his knee late 20 and then came back in April 21- played seven games for the Magpies last year and two NRL games.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
What cutout pass would that be? I remember him doing the obvious draw and pass to Brenko (who still had to do likewise to JP who then had to beat his man and kick in field for Brenko to score) like any U/15 fullback could and would do, but I don’t recall any cutout passes that led to tries. And when you say 200m, I assume you actually mean the 85m (or 53m according to Fox) he had against the Titans?

Those two false, erroneous claims aside, as always, you’re right.

I’m sure Bennett sat in all the recruitment meetings and declared “we simply must target Isaako, as I think he’s the best fullback I’ve ever seen and my opinion is backed by Huge, so with that endorsement, this is obviously non negotiable.”

Of course, it could also be that they simply have to sign players for 2023 and none of the other fullbacks worth feeding are available, but let’s go with option 1 👍
Naturally you have the child's take on things. The immature outlook. That shit about WB a perfect illustration. You and a few others seem to make shit up about Isaako quite frequently so I'm sure you're used to fantasy claims. I decided to be a little provocative as a counter to the endless fake claims made about Isaako and accordingly got a reaction.

It's interesting how your take on Isaako is at complete odds with people who have played or coached at the very top level. People like Michael Ennis who described Isaako as a 'great talent' or WB who decided to sign him for his team. Of course, you know better than qualified judges.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Naturally you have the child's take on things. The immature outlook. That shit about WB a perfect illustration. You and a few others seem to make shit up about Isaako quite frequently so I'm sure you're used to fantasy claims. I decided to be a little provocative as a counter to the endless fake claims made about Isaako and accordingly got a reaction.

It's interesting how your take on Isaako is at complete odds with people who have played or coached at the very top level. People like Michael Ennis who described Isaako as a 'great talent' or WB who decided to sign him for his team. Of course, you know better than qualified judges.
He is a great talent he is just a poor footballer. Could be a good winger under a coach willing to try and iron out his creases and in need for a goal kicker. Wrong player for our club in its current position - not consistent enough to be a fullback.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I decided to be a little provocative as a counter to the endless fake claims made about Isaako and accordingly got a reaction.

You really had to keep fishing for it though, took you quite a few posts to get a reaction.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
@theshed
I really couldn't see what he got wrong in the Titans trial but you and others raved on about two tries we had scored against us and somehow blamed Isaako! It's this sort of completely irrational blaming that I just don't get. Isaako played quite well in this game yet to hear some of you tell it it's as if he shouldn't be in first grade. I shouldn't be surprised though, it's Darius Boyd all over again.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I really couldn't see what he got wrong in the Titans trial but you and others raved on about two tries we had scored against us and somehow blamed Isaako! It's this sort of completely irrational blaming that I just don't get. Isaako played quite well in this game yet to hear some of you tell it it's as if he shouldn't be in first grade. I shouldn't be surprised though, it's Darius Boyd all over again.

I didn’t blame Isaako, I didn’t even watch most of the game live. Your memory going bro?

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I didn’t blame Isaako, I didn’t even watch most of the game live. Your memory going bro?
It was theshed and I added him(edited) as soon as I saw the quote didn't accompany my post for some reason or another.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
@theshed
Not sure I even mentioned Isaako in any detail during the second trial tbh. Though he was poor in the first trial. Wasn’t too bad last game.

W

WASSHHH

Aug 24, 2017

No no, let’s rewind. You keep saying he was good in the Titans trial. You even went to the effort to provide two examples to support your position.

However, neither of those things actually happened. So it begs the question, who’s “making shit up”?

Fact is, Isaako is in his sixth year of first grade. He’s past the point where being a ‘good talent’ is enough. As a spine player, he’s at the stage of his career he should be a critical and reliable part of the team. He’s neither.

A day or so ago, you also asked for examples of what he did wrong against the Titans, which I replied to, as below. Conveniently, you chose not to reply when provided examples of things that actually happened.
Aside from what others have already said; I really enjoyed the play where he had 2 players unmarked outside of him and chose to come back in field himself and killed the play.

Reminded me of that time ages and ages ago when he did the exact same thing. Oh no wait, that was last week against a reserve grade Seagulls.

But hey, at least he didn’t sail a kickoff out on the full last night, so there’s that.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
When Turpin came into the NRL, it was one of the more promising beginnings to an NRL career, he spent time in the halves too from memory, that's how good he was doing.

He copped a few injuries and suddenly last season especially, he offered us nothing and you can usually say "well you know, if the forwards aren't giving him time and space".. however, he's got Payne Haas running wild and he still can't make the most of it, that's what hurts us a lot I reckon. Payne Haas can break half a dozen tackles and make a 20 metre carry but if the bloke passing it from dummy half is in full robot mode and just wants to hand it off to the next bloke for another carry, we're not only getting nothing from Turpin but we're not getting a whole lot out of Payne either.

It has to be an individual effort whilst Turpin is our hooker because he kills the momentum with his play after someone like Payne Haas creates carnage in the middle. I know he's probably the benchmark dummy half but you look at what Cook does for Souths when he gets a bit of momentum in the ruck, imagine if we had that off the back of Payne Haas.

The only thing Turpin has going for him (which is a pretty big thing) is that he's a fantastic defender but we need more from him, we need a creative dummy half to ease the pressure off of our 1 and 6 specifically. It's Macca all over again.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
When Turpin came into the NRL, it was one of the more promising beginnings to an NRL career, he spent time in the halves too from memory, that's how good he was doing.

He copped a few injuries and suddenly last season especially, he offered us nothing and you can usually say "well you know, if the forwards aren't giving him time and space".. however, he's got Payne Haas running wild and he still can't make the most of it, that's what hurts us a lot I reckon. Payne Haas can break half a dozen tackles and make a 20 metre carry but if the bloke passing it from dummy half is in full robot mode and just wants to hand it off to the next bloke for another carry, we're not only getting nothing from Turpin but we're not getting a whole lot out of Payne either.

It has to be an individual effort whilst Turpin is our hooker because he kills the momentum with his play after someone like Payne Haas creates carnage in the middle. I know he's probably the benchmark dummy half but you look at what Cook does for Souths when he gets a bit of momentum in the ruck, imagine if we had that off the back of Payne Haas.

The only thing Turpin has going for him (which is a pretty big thing) is that he's a fantastic defender but we need more from him, we need a creative dummy half to ease the pressure off of our 1 and 6 specifically. It's Macca all over again.
Definitely. I can only imagine what someone like Grant/Cook would do running behind Haas. He just monsters the opposition and creates time and space, only for Turpin to nonchalantly pick it up and pass robotically, almost like his hero, Macca.

I'd love to see what Walters and Paix can do out of dummy half. Paix close to the line, short ball to Haas, create havoc, take a dive or shovel it out wide quick. We have a weapon forward pack but it gets no use, at all, zilch, zip, nothing.

Hopefully Reynolds can have a huge impact on the hooking role, just by virtue of being in their ear and telling them what to do.

Broncapz

Broncapz

NRL Player
May 1, 2016

That's what I think Billy/Paix bring to the table. Lots of snappy runs from dummy half with a draw and pass.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

I actually thought Jake played better in the halves than he did at 9.

I think fans instantly remember the Roosters upset where he defended really well and was able to keep his enthusiasm in check. The week before he played with similar energy against Manly and it backfired on him and gave Manly all the early ascendency. However even against the Roosters he was just beginning to come off the boil until Segs came on and scored.

Then Dearden got injured so he spent some time at 7, before it virtually became a permanent arrangement after a shocker against Parra.

It was in the halves he scored both his match-winners which is what fans remember.

I don't think there really was a drop-off, Jake has always struggled with consistency which was the common knock when he was with the Dolphins.

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
I actually thought Jake played better in the halves than he did at 9.

I think fans instantly remember the Roosters upset where he defended really well and was able to keep his enthusiasm in check. The week before he played with similar energy against Manly and it backfired on him and gave Manly all the early ascendency. However even against the Roosters he was just beginning to come off the boil until Segs came on and scored.

Then Dearden got injured so he spent some time at 7, before it virtually became a permanent arrangement after a shocker against Parra.

It was in the halves he scored both his match-winners which is what fans remember.

I don't think there really was a drop-off, Jake has always struggled with consistency which was the common knock when he was with the Dolphins.

So if I’m reading this correctly, you think Turpin should be our 6.

I’m with you 100%

Seriously though I agree his more tangible impacts have been at half, granted he was partnering Boyd so he kind of had to do everything there, but he also only made half the tackles he normally did which is key. The only times he’s done that at hooker is if he got injured or had a noticeably bad game

I’ve already put my other thoughts on him earlier so I won’t again, but they agree with your bit about Reynolds helping the hookers just by virtue of him being there

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
So if I’m reading this correctly, you think Turpin should be our 6.

I’m with you 100%

Seriously though I agree his more tangible impacts have been at half, granted he was partnering Boyd so he kind of had to do everything there, but he also only made half the tackles he normally did which is key. The only times he’s done that at hooker is if he got injured or had a noticeably bad game

I’ve already put my other thoughts on him earlier so I won’t again, but they agree with your bit about Reynolds helping the hookers just by virtue of him being there
I don't know about having to do everything. Milford largely handled the playmaking duties, Boyd and Turpin just had to defend. Haas, Fifita and Staggs were the main attacking threats and there were times they would do it all themselves. Case in point, Haas against Penrith.

I think the reason why Turps stood out is because he's always looking for an offload so when Pangai Jr threw that magic pass against Cronulla and he swooped on that Ofahengaue offload he really got to shine. When he plays at hooker, he's usually surrounded and the play is to spread it.

Mind you, I don't know if Haas really creates that much space for his dummy half. My recollection is that Payne's big carries are usually towards the end of set and they're usually designed to buy the halves as much time as possible, it isn't designed for Jake to engage the markers and create something out of it.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • BroncosMan
  • Dee
  • Painin the Haas
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.