Trial rule changes for all star match

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Changes to penalties in the ruck area
- For infringements in the ruck area by the defending team (holding down, leg pull, hand on ball etc.) which does not result in the breakdown of play (i.e. drop ball), the referee will indicate the infringement followed by immediately restarting the tackle count at the point of the infringement with a zero tackle.
- There will be no kick for touch for these infringements. Play will continue immediately from the point of the infringement.
- Any foul play in the ruck area by the defending team will result in a traditional penalty.
- Any infringement by the attacking team in the ruck area will result in a traditional penalty.

20/40 kicks in play
- A team which kicks the ball from within their own 20m area and can successfully find touch within the 40m area of the defending team will receive the feed to the ensuing scrum.

http://www.nrl.com/marshall-named-captain-for-nrl-all-stars/tabid/10874/newsid/65554/default.aspx

love the ruck penalty not getting a kick for touch. hopefully will see it in nrl matches soon

I like the rules they've announced, apart from the power play.

I like the rules they've announced, apart from the power play.
Yes, agreed. I'd go even further to make it a blank 40 mtr kick, as long as it's from your own half of the field (hard to make it otherwise anyway).

The power play is purely for fun and excitement during the All Stars game I'd say, at least I hope!

Yes, agreed. I'd go even further to make it a blank 40 mtr kick, as long as it's from your own half of the field (hard to make it otherwise anyway).

i dont want that as it would cause too much confusion for the defending team. with the 40/20 as it is they can see if the kicker was behind the 40. change it to just any 40m kick and all of a sudden they have to know exactly what metre they kicked on, and then where they have to get it before it goes out. too hard to keep track of and even harder for them to police.

love the penalty rule though.

i dont want that as it would cause too much confusion for the defending team. with the 40/20 as it is they can see if the kicker was behind the 40. change it to just any 40m kick and all of a sudden they have to know exactly what metre they kicked on, and then where they have to get it before it goes out. too hard to keep track of and even harder for them to police.

love the penalty rule though.
That's easy enough for the video ref to rule on though, but you could make it for every ten meters as is with the 40/20 now. If they kick before their own 30 and the ball goes out within the opponent' s 30, if they kick before their own 20 and the ball goes out within the opponent's 40, etc...

Love the penalty rules, but the 20/40 rule is Rugby Union-esq

Why don't we just turn the all star match into a hybrid game... Gee up

Really happy with the penalty rules - been calling out for something similar for a couple of years now.

I don't care for the 20/40 rule - we should be encouraging running the ball, not kicking it.

I don't care for the 20/40 rule - we should be encouraging running the ball, not kicking it.

The idea behind it is that wingers will drop to cover the sidelines, and the line will then be easier to break.

How many teams will go wide in that circumstance though? The far better option is just to go for an early kick.

These new rules are perfect for a bloke like Lockyer :sigh:

The ruck rule should include a professional foul clause for teams who try and slow things down on the first. There is nothing to lose in that circumstance except conceding an extras tackle.

Indigenous All Star team to be announced today.

So ticked off at all the Broncos selected :( Selfish I know, but in particular I didn't want Hodges playing. I do suppose they play trial matches and could get injured, but still.......

also, lol that Soward didn't get in. NSW 5/8. Ha!

Pretty strong side. Much better than last year's. Hopefully all players in the squad can stay fit so we don't see the Ben Jones's of this world playing in the game.

Pretty strong side. Much better than last year's. Hopefully all players in the squad can stay fit so we don't see the Ben Jones's of this world playing in the game.
They still lack props and a decent hooker, TLL and Rose are not exactly known for their big minutes, so Fifita will have to stay on for long stints and Thaiday will probably have to play in the front row too, leaving only Bird as a decent 2nd rower and Waddell as their only hooker...

That backline is impressive though, but I don't expect them to get much ball due to that weak pack, and why on earth would Barba get the nod over Bowen, particularly when the latter has a good combo with Thurston?

Yeah Waddell is such a world beater compared to Jones. The Indigenous side is always going to struggle in the forwards.

But it was interesting voting for the All Stars seeing some of the backs certain teams had to offer once the indigenous guys were removed. Cronulla in particular were very weak.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Sproj
  • Bucking Beads
  • sooticus
  • Manofoneway
  • broncos4life
  • Wolfie
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Big Del
  • lakers133334
  • RodF
  • Allo
  • ivanhungryjak
  • NSW stables
  • Brocko
  • Johnny92
  • Broncorob
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Galah
... and 25 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.