OFFICIAL Walsh signs with the Broncos until 2025

Yup, it is madness & a tricky situation to be in. Maybe the governing body needs to come up with some sort of direction here( I know this sounds great but they’ll screw it up further so, it’s better to not bother about it & let the clubs handle it on case by case basis 😉)
LOL, yeah you definitely lost me at the concept of the governing body doing something that improves the game

No mention of Selwyn here.

Simon Scanlan:

“The thing we’ve made clear is Reece isn’t guaranteed anything. We have Tesi Niu and Herbie Farnworth wanting to play fullback as well so it will be a shootout for that No.1 jumper in the pre-season. Reece has to come in and fight for the jumper. No-one at the club has been told they are locked in as the No.1 fullback. Reece is one of the guys in the mix. Reece has to earn his position at the club. He has to earn the right to be our fullback. He doesn’t just walk into the club and take a position in the starting 13 as No.1."​
"Reece is at the start of his Broncos career and we’ve got some guys who have worked really hard through some difficult times for our club. Guys like Tesi and Herbie have worked hard to help make the Broncos competitive again. Reece has to earn the respect of the group, he has to earn the right to put the fullback jersey on and work hard to fit within the team and play his role.”​
“It was extremely disappointing to lose Reece, especially when he was part of our succession plan at fullback. Reece was coming through our program the whole time and to lose him, just as he was about to play NRL, was extremely disappointing. Reece felt he was able to get a better opportunity with the Warriors, but I’ve always been close to Reece and I was really pleased to be able to get him back. Reece came into our program at 14 and straight away he stood out as a great talent. He is just a natural footy player. He has good speed, good vision and great skill. I’ve always found Reece to be a friendly, enthusiastic and polite young man. He brings a lot of energy which is great. The good thing with Reece is he is open to feedback — and strong feedback — to improve himself and I know he is dedicated to succeed.”​

No mention of Selwyn here.

Simon Scanlan:

“The thing we’ve made clear is Reece isn’t guaranteed anything. We have Tesi Niu and Herbie Farnworth wanting to play fullback as well so it will be a shootout for that No.1 jumper in the pre-season. Reece has to come in and fight for the jumper. No-one at the club has been told they are locked in as the No.1 fullback. Reece is one of the guys in the mix. Reece has to earn his position at the club. He has to earn the right to be our fullback. He doesn’t just walk into the club and take a position in the starting 13 as No.1."​
"Reece is at the start of his Broncos career and we’ve got some guys who have worked really hard through some difficult times for our club. Guys like Tesi and Herbie have worked hard to help make the Broncos competitive again. Reece has to earn the respect of the group, he has to earn the right to put the fullback jersey on and work hard to fit within the team and play his role.”​
“It was extremely disappointing to lose Reece, especially when he was part of our succession plan at fullback. Reece was coming through our program the whole time and to lose him, just as he was about to play NRL, was extremely disappointing. Reece felt he was able to get a better opportunity with the Warriors, but I’ve always been close to Reece and I was really pleased to be able to get him back. Reece came into our program at 14 and straight away he stood out as a great talent. He is just a natural footy player. He has good speed, good vision and great skill. I’ve always found Reece to be a friendly, enthusiastic and polite young man. He brings a lot of energy which is great. The good thing with Reece is he is open to feedback — and strong feedback — to improve himself and I know he is dedicated to succeed.”​

That is what you want to hear, let’s hope it is true in practice.

Bennett is building a killer backline there:

Milford, Nikorima, Isaako, O'Sullivan, Niu.
First day of pre-season …
4F56765A AD58 42A0 B0A4 3DD550272749

It would be shame to lose him but not surprising if it happens.

Not sure that it would be. He's finished at fullback, way down the queue at centre, and apparently incapable of playing dummy half (source @theshed ). In which case all he's doing is burning up cap and hogging a roster spot. And all we're doing is preventing him from playing NRL.

If Bennett can somehow magic away his glaring deficiencies at the back, then good luck to them both.

Not sure that it would be. He's finished at fullback, way down the queue at centre, and apparently incapable of playing dummy half (source @theshed ). In which case all he's doing is burning up cap and hogging a roster spot. And all we're doing is preventing him from playing NRL.

If Bennett can somehow magic away his glaring deficiencies at the back, then good luck to them both.
100% we can’t be to scared to let go of of a player cause they might work it out somewhere else. Nothing he has done here since the day he has stepped through the door has suggested he will work it out. Time to move on and put our squad in a better position with the spare 400k he would clear up. Genuinely give that spot to Jack Ahearn on minimum wage and either go into next year with extra cap not only from a free 400k but unused cap this year or we can go out agitate in the market a bit and get ourselves a handy player who could slot into our 17 likely on the bench. It is a very good thing in my opinion.

It would be a shame from a sentimental point of view. He seems like a decent fella, he’s had a rough run of late off the field, and he seemingly likes the club. It would be great if he had what it takes but like thousands of players before him, he just isn’t cut out for the NRL at this point is his development.

I hope he goes on to have a solid and long career but I have 0 concern that we will be rueing the day we let Tesi go.

It’s not a direct comparison but he is very similar to Isaako. His physical attributes enable him to do things that not many players can and he’ll pop up on highlight reels here and there but he doesn’t offer enough in between those moments to be a consistent first grader and what’s more, he has as many poor moments as good ones.

Again, like Isaako, the Dolphins will potentially sign him because they are desperate - Wolfie can push back all he wants but that’s the reality. Neither Isaako or Niu will remain in first grade as better signings become available to the Phins.

I hope he does leave and frees up a top 30 spot and some cash. I’d rather Ahearn get a run if Walsh is out, then Herbie and then Cobbo. We don’t need him.

I hope he does leave and frees up a top 30 spot and some cash. I’d rather Ahearn get a run if Walsh is out, then Herbie and then Cobbo. We don’t need him.
And some comfort to resident Herbephiles that Bennett will be fresh up on fullbacks and less likely to splash out on another, especially one yet to learn the ropes.

It would be a shame from a sentimental point of view. He seems like a decent fella, he’s had a rough run of late off the field, and he seemingly likes the club. It would be great if he had what it takes but like thousands of players before him, he just isn’t cut out for the NRL at this point is his development.

I hope he goes on to have a solid and long career but I have 0 concern that we will be rueing the day we let Tesi go.

It’s not a direct comparison but he is very similar to Isaako. His physical attributes enable him to do things that not many players can and he’ll pop up on highlight reels here and there but he doesn’t offer enough in between those moments to be a consistent first grader and what’s more, he has as many poor moments as good ones.

Again, like Isaako, the Dolphins will potentially sign him because they are desperate - Wolfie can push back all he wants but that’s the reality. Neither Isaako or Niu will remain in first grade as better signings become available to the Phins.

I will push back. I dont see them signing him and i dont think they are desperate. They probably will start to get desperate if they cant get a few better quality players in this next window. At the moment i think they are pretty calm and level headed about whats going on there for 2023. I'm not seeing why they would be desperate to sign Tesi Niu at all.

Tesi i'm just not seeing signing there now they have Hammer. He's not a center, he's not capable of playing on the wing imo. They have Issako who will basically offer a backup fullback to Hamiso along with Trai Fuller. Unless they are getting Niu for minimum wage, i just cant see why they would even bother with him. Its just lazy journalism imo.

I'm not too concerned if we lose Niu.

I'd personally love to turn Herbie into our Manu ... i.e. a gun centre, that steps into the fullback role when our first choice is missing; we just need to convince him to stay with that role in mind (Maybe DD can take him for a game of golf ... worked for uncle Nick and Manu). I believe he has the talent to perform that role for us.

EDIT: i'd have Herbie doing extensive fullback training during the off season. we know what he offers at center (and he knows how to play the position)

Unread

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.