OFFICIAL Walsh signs with the Broncos until 2025

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
So you are happy for us to give the money we have set aside in the cap for Payne straight to Fifita?
A bloke who walked out on the club for money, noting we bailed him out of a third world country.
Payne since his spat a couple of weeks back hasn't caused any more noise/headaches (as far as I am aware). On field nothing has changed with him.
We are all very quick to forget that Payne carried this team for the past 3 seasons.
We know what we get from him, sure he has carried on/had his issues and Im not dismissing any of that.
Fifi can't even get himself back into the origin squad.

For <600k I'd happily welcome Fifita back as there probably isn't too much to lose but if we are talking a straight swap or same money as Payne, its a no.

I''d be perfectly happy if we used some of the money we had set aside for Payne on Fifita. Absolutley i would. But you clearly didnt read the post you quoted because i clearly said where i'd spend the money.

Every player signs a contract for money. Its how they make their living. Isn't Payne's problem the money he isnt getting so you cant really have a go at Fifita for trying to get the best deal for himself ( while off contract i might add ) when Payne has tried to break his contract because he feels he deserves more than anyone else at the club. And what exactly did he carry us to, a wooden spoon? a 14th place finish? He played well enough, as did others, but he didnt actually have a massive influence on our displays.

And its a bit rich bringing up what we did for Fifita when we also backed a bloke who has done plenty more wrong as a Bronco than Fifita did.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I disagree with you here. If Staggs was as consistent as Herbie, absolutely, but he's not, he is more like like Fifi, amazing one game, quiet the next 3. For someone on 6 or 700k, you want them consistent. Herbie would be on no where near that, way more value for money.
I have expensive tastes.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
People shouldnt take what i say the wrong way. I'd love to keep Payne, but after seeing how well DD and Ikin have balanced our cap i dont think we should be paying him the money he is going to be on from next year or what he actually wants going forward. Forwards just arent worth the kind of money he wants.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
"Dispose of Haas" you say. Any particular methodology in mind? Concrete shoes, polonium, hitman?

abashii

abashii

NRL Player
Contributor
Jul 14, 2014
For my point of view, Fifita never wanted to leave, he rejected the Titans at least twice that was reported and God knows how many other times through his agent. It wasn't until they just kept upping their offer to crazy numbers as well as the pressure of Meninga and Tallis constantly telling him to sign up with all the promises in the world that made him buckle. Hell, i even remember the Matty Johns show at the time all telling him to take the money and sign. Who did we have on our side of the fence convincing him to stay?...Anthony fucking Seibold and Paul fucking White.
He's also said a big factor, aside from the money, was someone at the Broncos was constantly leaking their discussions to the media. Can't blame him on that front either.
Send him to work with Seibold again.
Mate I generally like your posts and you seem a sensible fella but there are certain lines that should never be crossed, things that once said can never be taken back.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
He's also said a big factor, aside from the money, was someone at the Broncos was constantly leaking their discussions to the media. Can't blame him on that front either.

Mate I generally like your posts and you seem a sensible fella but there are certain lines that should never be crossed, things that once said can never be taken back.

I dont think i've ever been called sensible in my life!

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013

I dont think i've ever been called sensible in my life!

Well, my mind is blown here because someone that I considered quite sensible has for some reason called Wolfie of all people, sensible. I just don't know anymore man.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Walsh interview with Brent Read:

The Release Request

“The Warriors were so good to me and that is why it made it hard,” Walsh said.

“I did want to repay them and give back to them for helping me through a tough time. It was tough to sit down and talk to Cam and have a conversation about my family situation and what was going on behind the scenes.

“It was a hard conversation to have but in saying that the club are run by amazing people and they fully understood.

“I was really grateful and really happy with how they took it and how much support they gave to me. I didn’t feel I could [go to New Zealand] and miss crucial parts of my daughter growing up.

“I don’t think I was ready to leave all that behind and go over to New Zealand by myself. For her to be here and grow up, and me to miss her ride a bike of the first time and go to school for the first time, it was going to be too hard.”

“When I am making these decisions I am not just thinking about myself any more,” he said.

“My daughter is the main reason I go out there and do what I do. It is for her. I want her to grow up and know that I love her and that I am there for her.

“I want her to look at me and be proud of me. I want to give her the life I never got. I grew up with mum and dad being split – it was really tough.

“I didn’t want my daughter to grow up and think that I am not there and that I don’t love her and I don’t want to be with her, because I do love her with all my heart and I will do anything for that little girl.

“For me to be able to stay in Queensland, I couldn’t give that up. She means the world to me mate.”

The Broncos

“They [The Warriors] asked the question about where I would prefer to go,” Walsh said.

“I said I have an awesome relationship with everyone back in Brisbane and I have a lot of really good mates in Brisbane.

“I felt that would be a pretty easy transition for me to go back to Brissie. I have been there since I was 13 years old. It is a club I always wanted to play for.

“I grew up supporting the Broncos. I have always wanted to pull on a Broncos jersey. When I did leave it was tough. I had a lot of really good mates there.

“I always watched their games. I don’t think I have ever missed a game. I would always smile sitting there and watching the boys play.

“I would always think maybe one day. When I got the opportunity to come back to the Broncos, I was not going to give it up.”

The Dolphins & Money

“I never sat down and had a conversation with Wayne,” Walsh said.

“Wayne had nothing to do with this and it was never his fault. I don’t feel like anyone should be giving Wayne flak.

“When I sat down and spoke to Nash and may family, the decision was never going to be about money. It was always going to be closer to my daughter.

“I can live on the Gold Coast and travel up to Red Hill every day. I am young. I know if I put my head down for a bit I can have a long career in the game.

“That’s what I want to do. I know money is going to come. It was never about the money mate.”

Walsh vs Walters

“I have seen a lot of talk about that, about me and Kevin’s relationship being bad, that is not the truth,” Walsh said.

“What happened at the Broncos was that I was a young kid coming through and I wanted to play NRL. At that time Kevin had just taken on the job and he had seen a lot of young kids coming in probably a bit early and not go through the best stage.

“Kevin tried to protect me a bit. He was always honest with me and wanted to protect me, and make sure that I came into first grade at the right time.

“I respected his decision and what he wanted to do. Obviously I got a really good opportunity to come to the Warriors and learn off an elite fullback (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck) and probably one of the best fullbacks we have seen, and to play first grade.

“I took that opportunity and Kevvie respected that. There was never any bad blood or anything like that.”

The Future

“I know how it looks and I know people are going to be a bit disappointed I am going but everyone time I put on that Warriors jersey I am not going to take it for granted,” he said.

“I am not thinking just because I am going next year, I can slacken off. The mentality I have at the moment is very time I put on that jersey I want to go out and put 100 perfect effort, and show the club and the boys that I am going to stick solid this year and repay them.”

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

The Release Request

“I did want to repay them and give back to them for helping me through a tough time. It was tough to sit down and talk to Cam and have a conversation about my family situation and what was going on behind the scenes.

“It was a hard conversation to have but in saying that the club are run by amazing people and they fully understood.

“I was really grateful and really happy with how they took it and how much support they gave to me. I didn’t feel I could [go to New Zealand] and miss crucial parts of my daughter growing up.

“I don’t think I was ready to leave all that behind and go over to New Zealand by myself. For her to be here and grow up, and me to miss her ride a bike of the first time and go to school for the first time, it was going to be too hard.”

“When I am making these decisions I am not just thinking about myself any more,” he said.

“My daughter is the main reason I go out there and do what I do. It is for her. I want her to grow up and know that I love her and that I am there for her.

“I want her to look at me and be proud of me. I want to give her the life I never got. I grew up with mum and dad being split – it was really tough.

“I didn’t want my daughter to grow up and think that I am not there and that I don’t love her and I don’t want to be with her, because I do love her with all my heart and I will do anything for that little girl.

“For me to be able to stay in Queensland, I couldn’t give that up. She means the world to me mate.”

The Broncos

“They [The Warriors] asked the question about where I would prefer to go,” Walsh said.

“I said I have an awesome relationship with everyone back in Brisbane and I have a lot of really good mates in Brisbane.

“I felt that would be a pretty easy transition for me to go back to Brissie. I have been there since I was 13 years old. It is a club I always wanted to play for.

“I grew up supporting the Broncos. I have always wanted to pull on a Broncos jersey. When I did leave it was tough. I had a lot of really good mates there.

“I always watched their games. I don’t think I have ever missed a game. I would always smile sitting there and watching the boys play.

“I would always think maybe one day. When I got the opportunity to come back to the Broncos, I was not going to give it up.”

The Dolphins & Money

“Wayne had nothing to do with this and it was never his fault. I don’t feel like anyone should be giving Wayne flak.

“When I sat down and spoke to Nash and may family, the decision was never going to be about money. It was always going to be closer to my daughter.

“I can live on the Gold Coast and travel up to Red Hill every day. I am young. I know if I put my head down for a bit I can have a long career in the game.

“That’s what I want to do. I know money is going to come. It was never about the money mate.”

Walsh vs Walters

“I have seen a lot of talk about that, about me and Kevin’s relationship being bad, that is not the truth,” Walsh said.

“What happened at the Broncos was that I was a young kid coming through and I wanted to play NRL. At that time Kevin had just taken on the job and he had seen a lot of young kids coming in probably a bit early and not go through the best stage.

“Kevin tried to protect me a bit. He was always honest with me and wanted to protect me, and make sure that I came into first grade at the right time.

“I respected his decision and what he wanted to do. Obviously I got a really good opportunity to come to the Warriors and learn off an elite fullback (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck) and probably one of the best fullbacks we have seen, and to play first grade.

“I took that opportunity and Kevvie respected that. There was never any bad blood or anything like that.”

The Future

“I know how it looks and I know people are going to be a bit disappointed I am going but everyone time I put on that Warriors jersey I am not going to take it for granted,” he said.

“I am not thinking just because I am going next year, I can slacken off. The mentality I have at the moment is very time I put on that jersey I want to go out and put 100 perfect effort, and show the club and the boys that I am going to stick solid this year and repay them.”
He's very well spoken the young fella.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

The Release Request

The Broncos

The Dolphins & Money

Walsh vs Walters

The Future

Ok Reece you are starting to win me over mate.

S

Spoon

QCup Player
May 24, 2015

Yeah well he's only a fox commentator now isn't he...

Broncapz

Broncapz

NRL Player
May 1, 2016

Welcome home son!

Unread

Active Now

• Big Del
  • Lurker
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Dee
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.