MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
I just wanted to say "Amen" to this comment. The whole "media is the enemy" act was too old 10 years ago. By now it was just absurd. It's unfortunate how things ended but he brought it upon himself. I'm really looking forward to the new era but I fear it will take 2 or 3 years to clear out the players signed for too long on too much money. i.e. Darius, Bird and lets see how Gillett goes when he comes back...... for the next 4 years. Milford hasn't justified his salary either.

Milf cops a lot of flak that's unwarranted. People imagine him as a running half when that's not really what we need from him anymore. He had one of the best kicking games in the comp last season (on stats at least) in his first year 'converting' to a different role. It'll be interesting to see if he can tap into both worlds this season coming, especially with Seibold here, but overall I was happy with him last season.

EDIT: Put it this way, will Munster be able to adapt in the same way when Smith goes assuming Melbourne have a Niko like second half? I doubt it, yet the RL public love to go on about how good he is.

Last edited:
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Where's it been said that he tried poaching our players?

He had told Souths not to re-sign Robert Jennings, doesn't take a genius to connect the dots.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
Yeah, you didn't know, nobody did. Like if you or anyone else had written 'WB will sacked on Dec 2nd, 2018' I'd say, wow, you really knew what was coming but nobody did that. Nobody KNEW anything but many guessed after they were told what to guess. Yippee, you jointly win the Internet for Dec2nd.
But did we "get it wrong" and should we (in your words) still need to "admit" that we got it wrong..?
No.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Bennett did his fair share of shitting on the media too though.
Deservedly so too. More people should call out the media for their bullshit. Especially in Australia, our media is a joke. Especially rugby league media. And no I’m not saying he never did anything to deserve it as he was majorly at fault. Again I just think a certain group are forgetting to give valid criticism to those who were also at fault. Calling those who are asking questions about the other parties sycophants won’t help the discussion, but those doing that already know that. Not a single person has said Bennett has done nothing wrong. Same with the Hunt conversation, it just doesn’t need to be repeated by everyone constantly. Anyway, I’m excited for a change. Let’s hope he lives up to his hype

Last edited:
abashii

abashii

NRL Player
Contributor
Jul 14, 2014
Phil Rothfield of all people gives us a chance of winning the comp next year and is waxing lyrical about how good Seibold is. Bodes well for our future media coverage.

Wait and see how it goes once the season begins. It's easy for them to pump up Seibold now as another **** you to Wayne, but as soon as we beat a Sydney darling team it'll be back to one club town tpas and all their other usual bullshit.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
He had told Souths not to re-sign Robert Jennings, doesn't take a genius to connect the dots.

Thought it was just a hold up with registering his contract with the nrl because of the shambles going on.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

Probably because Johnston is going back to the wing which is currently occupied by Jennings.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Excited but anxious aswell , hard not to be wary looking back at what happened last time.

Difference this time is we have a smart coach that thinks outside the box.

Henjak and Griffin weren't those type of coaches.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013

I hope so but everyone knows what pressure he will be under being Brisbane's coach , he could drop the Ball easily.

barker

barker

NYC Player
Mar 4, 2008
Deservedly so too. More people should call out the media for their bullshit. Especially in Australia, our media is a joke. Especially rugby league media. And no I’m not saying he never did anything to deserve it as he was majorly at fault. Again I just think a certain group are forgetting to give valid criticism to those who were also at fault. Calling those who are asking questions about the other parties sycophants won’t help the discussion, but those doing that already know that. Not a single person has said Bennett has done nothing wrong. Same with the Hunt conversation, it just doesn’t need to be repeated by everyone constantly. Anyway, I’m excited for a change. Let’s hope he lives up to his hype

I despise the NRL covering media. They've almost totally destroyed my enjoyment of rugby league to the point of cancelling my season tickets but I decided last night that I'll let the dust settle and see how I feel next year.
I wrote a comment at the end of one of Peter Badel's shit articles in the Courier Mail last week. It never made it onto the comments page.

Last edited:
Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016

Yeah but you pumped up both their tyres when they were appointed and then sunk the boot in when you realized they weren't quite what you thought. You'll do the same this time.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
So could any coach, FFS give the bloke a chance.

He's got his chance, now he needs to perform. And like I said, I will hold judgment till mid season. But to think he is going to have my respect straight away is not going to happen, most should know I wanted Wayne to stay so AS will need to earn my support.

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
There’s no doubting that Bennett made sacrifices for this club, but more than some of his players? More than some of his staff? I guess none of us fans will ever really know. But I reckon it’s safe to say he didn’t break bones, destroy joints or shed blood for the club like some of the players he coldly and clinically pushed out the door did.

In fact, one of the favourite BHQ punching bags, Gordon Tallis, broke his neck playing for the club and continued to give everything to the jersey when he could have walked away. That didn’t stop Bennett denying him the sendoff many thought he deserved. Bennett pushed Lazarus out the door too. The same with a raft of other players who put everything and more into the jersey over their careers.

Hopefully, Bennett did what he did because he thought those players could no longer deliver. Now, the board thinks Bennett can no longer deliver. They may very well be right; Bennett hasn’t delivered since his return and even his biggest fan must seriously question if he still can.

So why does he deserve something he denied so many of his players over their careers?

I want to be clear, I’m not disagreeing with everything you’re saying. Indeed, some of what you’ve said is bang on, but to be honest, it seems you have gone to the extreme in both your support of Bennett and also justifying your view whilst criticising others for theirs.

Bennett is not the Broncos. He didn’t invent sliced bread, part the sea or save the world. He coached an absolute star-studded team to success in the 90’s and 2000. The 2006 win was his best achievement, but let’s not forget he had the greatest player to lace a boot at his disposal then too.

Great coach. Best record. No one can debate that. It’s fact.

But he is not the only reason this club is what it is. Like I said in my previous post, so many others have helped make this club what it is, but people tend to forget that and let emotion get in the way of reason in their support of him whilst turning a blind eye to how he treated some of the clubs great players.

That I can’t understand.

Hey mate,

To be a bit clearer, I'm not saying this whole thing hasn't disappointed me - I am disappointed in Wayne if he has orchestrated this whole thing

I'm just saying 2 things;

1 - we have way less than 100% of the facts so we really don't know with any certainty

2 - even if he did it, how can I be sure I wouldn't have done the same?

Yeah if he did it I'll have lost respect for him, but I'm not gonna burn him at the stake, because whose to say I would have done better?

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
He's got his chance, now he needs to perform. And like I said, I will hold judgment till mid season. But to think he is going to have my respect straight away is not going to happen, most should know I wanted Wayne to stay so AS will need to earn my support.

I'd like to hear from those who wanted WB to stay about who you think would have been a good fit to replace him if he got his wish to extend to the end of 2020.
With the top coaches tied up by then who would you go after?
Most will say JD because Wayne annointed him but Wayne annointed Price and Henjack so ....
What would you have done differently if you were responsible for the Broncos future.?

Active Now

• Aldo
  • ivanhungryjak
  • mrslong
  • Waynesaurus
  • Johnny92
  • Alec
  • Broncorob
  • Harry Sack
  • Bucking Beads
  • MrRobot
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Shane Tronc
  • rj9
  • leon.bott
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.