MELTDOWN Wayne Bennett - Moves to Souths

Should Wayne Bennett's Contract be Extended?

• Total voters
One would really hope that if this club is as professional as we lead to believe they already have a replacement sorted and are very confident around their retention plans

One would really hope that if this club is as professional as we lead to believe they already have a replacement sorted and are very confident around their retention plans

They already tried to lure Green to the club and then there were the talks with Bellamy(though he was never coming IMO, that was all just to get more out of the Storm). I would find it hard to believe they don't have a realistic idea on who they would intend to replace him with, the question is will they get their man?

Frankly I don't want Walters, I'm just not convinced he has what it takes, he has been in and out of coaching roles at the club, struggled in the Super League and I haven't been too impressed with his time with Queensland so far.

Last edited:
This board is fucking incompetent. If we are winning, people will unload on why are we getting rid of him and if we are losing call for him to be sacked immediately. This board is absolutely fucking incompetent.

Exactly the point I was making 2 weeks ago mate. I still say Bennett will not be coaching us in 2019. A lot of things can happen over the next few months.

Things are going to get interesting now with our retention and recruitment. The players arent happy.

They aren't happy because they know if a new coach comes in they are not going to be cuddled like they are with Wayne and might just have their arses kicked every now and again. Amirite?

They aren't happy because they know if a new coach comes in they are not going to be cuddled like they are with Wayne and might just have their arses kicked every now and again. Amirite?
Maybe you should jog up the hill at Canungra one day and then tell me if you still think they are cuddled. Or if you want to take it easy, try Mt. Nebo instead. Bennett's boys work as hard as anyone, if they didn't, then they would run out of puff in August.

Maybe you should jog up the hill at Canungra one day and then tell me if you still think they are cuddled. Or if you want to take it easy, try Mt. Nebo instead. Bennett's boys work as hard as anyone, if they didn't, then they would run out of puff in August.

I think the strength and conditioning department needs reviewing. Guys like Macca, Oates and Roberts are always gassed. So many hamstring and calf injuries makes me wonder if those hill runs are beneficial

I don't think most of us realize right now how much of a game changer not resigning Wayne is. The man who basically IS the Broncos is leaving and will never ever be back. It's the end of an era.

I'm not sure how I feel about it at the moment, but right now, we ALL should applaud what Wayne has done for not only the Broncos but our own lives. We support the greatest rugby league club in the world and because of Wayne, we have been an extremely successful club and because of that success, it's brought us so many happy and wonderful memories as children, teenagers and now adults.

I'll never ever forget what Wayne and his Broncos done for my life and continue to do. So many great feelings and wonderful times.

Thank you Wayne, thank you.

Announcing it like they have, you got to think whoever replaces Bennet is practically set in stone. Otherwise, why do this. Surely, sooner rather than later a name will be mentioned with regard to "discussions". I suspect that they will hold off doing so as long as possible, but someone will blab eventually.
As for who? I guess we'll know soon enough. I doubt anything official will be said for a while regardless.
I find the whole thing as it has been handled to be somewhat messy, with little consideration given to players. This should have been finalised well before now and I strongly suspect the internal tensions were a huge part in our up and down form.
If the board was smart they would announce the new coach as soon as possible as no good can come from mindless speculation and certainly needs to happen before the season start.

Things are going to get interesting now with our retention and recruitment. The players arent happy.

Tough. Start performing then. Not many workplaces get to dictate who their boss is, but they do.

Except they didn’t perform when they could have saved their boss. So if they don’t like it they can go find out how much “better” it is elsewhere...

Broncs were winning premierships before ANY of the current playing group was even signed to us. They don’t want to be here and reveal their true colours by chucking a tanty?

Well good f*cking riddance then. They’ve had attitude problems all goddamn year and now they want to chuck a hissy because they don’t get their coach of choice beyond next year?

Boo effing hoo.

Last edited:
Yeah but we aren't a piss ant club. We demand success from every coach. You miss the 8 and your out on your ass. No other club in the comp is that cut throat. Siebold had a huge amount of praises this year and fell over big time in the semis and no one is really paying attention to it. The rabbits I feel got away pretty lightly and if I was a fan I would be blowing up deluxe at their performance in the past two weeks compared to what they put up the prior 26 weeks.
The point is, do we put a rookie coach in the hot seat or get an established coach who can handle the hot seat that Bennett has created. The last two coaches we employed before Bennett were rookies from internally and didn't work out.

We have a better squad with more depth than the Rabbits, especially in the forwards. The Rabbits were basically carried by their starting middle forwards, Cook (who choked like a dog when it counted), Arey's kicking game, and Seibold's tactics. Seibold made a spine with Johnston in it look dangerous, that alone tells me he's got something about him.

Seriously, have a look at the Rabbits bench for most of the season. Murray was the only decent player on it.

Last edited:
Tough. Start performing then. Not many workplaces get to dictate who their boss is, but they do.

Except they didn’t perform when they could have saved their boss. So if they don’t like it they can go find out how much “better” it is elsewhere...

Broncs were winning premierships before ANY of the current playing group was even signed to us. They don’t want to be here and reveal their true colours by chucking a tanty?

Well good f*cking riddance then. They’ve had attitude problems all goddamn year and now they want to chuck a hissy because they don’t get their coach of choice beyond next year?

Boo effing hoo.

I don't see anyone chucking a tanty. They just like the bloke they are playing for.

For the all the crap we give Melbourne at the end of the day this is a huge reason they win premierships. Hoffman 18th man. Guy is a club and league legend but at end of day no favouritism. He hasn’t performed or doesn’t meet what they think will win so he may not play. Tough but puts team first.

Similarly young halves weren’t coddled. Storm couldn’t have been ready to lose Cronk when they they did (like we lost Hunt) but they had a few in the pipeline and made do. When they didn’t meet what team needed they got sent back to reserve grade till found a combo that got them to a gf (admittedly Smith, Munster, Slater covered a lot but we supposedly have an origin 1,6,9 that is worth millions and unmovable or undropable because they are so brilliant) while we got spanked in week 1 by the biggest choker in Broncs history when the team is supposedly playing to save their beloved coach. Despite being tough players all seem to still want to play for Bellamy.

For the all the crap we give Melbourne at the end of the day this is a huge reason they win premierships. Hoffman 18th man. Guy is a club and league legend but at end of day no favouritism. He hasn’t performed or doesn’t meet what they think will win so he may not play. Tough but puts team first.

Similarly young halves weren’t coddled. Storm couldn’t have been ready to lose Cronk when they they did (like we lost Hunt) but they had a few in the pipeline and made do. When they didn’t meet what team needed they got sent back to reserve grade till found a combo that got them to a gf (admittedly Smith, Munster, Slater covered a lot but we supposedly have an origin 1,6,9 that is worth millions and unmovable or undropable because they are so brilliant) while we got spanked in week 1 by the biggest choker in Broncs history when the team is supposedly playing to save their beloved coach. Despite being tough players all seem to still want to play for Bellamy.

Hasn't Hoffman been injured. probably just named him so he can get another ring

Yep, thats a fair point, but hook isnt Wayne Bennett. I'm not so sure some of these guys are going to get over it like they did with hook. TPJ and Oates are the big worry now for me, as well as James Roberts.
Really... fmd does wayne go around and tuck them in at night as well...thats the lamest shit I've heard. Maybe St Wayne should sit them all down and tell the all about the realitys of the real world, and about being professional fucking footballers. Considering they're in their early 20s, do they expect that wayne will be coaching all three at the same club into his 80s. As disappointing even devastating as it will be if they move on what can the club do to appease them. Even if Wayne had an extension it sounds like these players will still follow wayne when that contract expires. Wayne should be teaching them all that the club is bigger than the coach and bigger than the individual players.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.