wayne bennett strips ipswich of 3 emerging stars

[h=1]Wayne Bennett strips Ipswich Jets of three emerging Broncos stars[/h]March 16, 2016 6:29pmPETER BADEL

BRISBANE’s feeder-club ties with Ipswich have suffered a jolt after super coach Wayne Bennett stripped the Intrust Super Cup premiers of three emerging Broncos stars.
The Courier-Mail can reveal Bennett has ordered Jets-aligned trio Marion Seve, Elijah Alick and Salesi Funaki to play for rival clubs after clashing with Ipswich co-coaches Ben and Shane Walker over selection issues.
Seve, who scored two tries in his Ipswich debut a fortnight ago, has been reassigned to Souths Logan, while Alick and Funaki have been transferred to Wynnum Manly.
It is understood Bennett was unhappy after the Walkers failed to start Seve and Alick in the Jets’ round-one defeat of Norths at North Ipswich Reserve.
Bennett responded by shifting the triumvirate to Brisbane’s other feeder clubs, but Shane Walker labelled the selection imbroglio a “misunderstanding”.
“I can understand why Wayne was a little disappointed,” Walker said. “It’s like your dad telling you to clean up the backyard and you don’t do it the way he wants you to ... you cop a smack or get grounded.

“There was a genuine misunderstanding, that’s all it was.
“There was a mix-up over how we were going to use the Broncos guys sent back to Ipswich, particularly in the first couple of weeks.

“The issue we had is that our back three had played in the grand final for us and helped us win the premiership, so we wanted to be loyal to those guys in the opening rounds.
“Whilst they (Seve, Alick and Funaki) have left our club, which is disappointing, the good thing is it adds to the overall depth of the Intrust Super Cup.”
The Jets have been a handy feeder-club for the Broncos, with Ipswich stars Carlin Anderson, Rod Griffin, Billy McConnachie and Marmin Barba having held dual contracts in recent years.
The Broncos’ affinity with the region dates back to the 1980s, when Allan Langer emerged from Ipswich to become an Origin and Test star at Red Hill.
In 2008, former Broncos skipper Kevin Walters coached the Jets to the minor premiership.
While many NRL clubs instruct feeder clubs how to use dual-contracted players, the Walkers have backed their coaching instincts. Last year, they deployed Broncos winger Daniel Vidot in the front row when the 112kg hulk was sent to play for the Jets.
Walker is confident Ipswich’s feeder-club arrangement with Brisbane is not in jeopardy and hopes to find common ground with Bennett.

“I’ll sit down and have a yarn with Wayne later in the season and make sure that we get it right going forward,” he said.
“All three of the guys would have added something to our squad so it’s a shame they won’t be with us. But it’s happened and we’ll move on.
“It’s not that difficult to fit in at Ipswich. It’s easier to come to our club because we don’t have too many choreographed plays, so it’s easy for newer faces to play here and adjust.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/850dcc53caa93188a50081c734cbc513

Didn't Bennett move them due to the poor coaching and terrible toxic culture at Ipswich?

I can understand the Walker's thinking they did win the grand final with the team they have it would be hard not to show loyalty to them where as Bennett needs his guys playing full games, Seve was close to making his debut he needs him to be ready.

I hope there is nothing more to this than the Walkers being loyal and Bennett just needing them to play full games. As a Broncos and Jets fan I'm spewing I can't go watch more Broncos hopefuls play for my local ISC team, it makes it even more exciting, but I hope in the future Bennett sends others out to play for them

most likely all part of the whole process

No it's not. I could have told you this the other day when you and old mate were wrong.

Bennett was asked if the players could be rotated- he took that to mean through the game- Walkers took it to mean between reserve grade and ISC.

Alick still played he played reserve grade for the Jets. Funaki and Seve started from the bench.

I see nothing wrong with a player playing reserve grade; he has no credit at the club he's going to. You've come from 20's into a premiership winning team- why should premiership players be dropped?

Last edited:
No it's not. I could have told you this the other day when you and old mate were wrong.

Bennett was asked if the players could be rotated- he took that to mean through the game- Walkers took it to mean between reserve grade and ISC.

Alick still played he played reserve grade for the Jets. Funaki and Seve started from the bench.

I see nothing wrong with a player playing reserve grade; he has no credit at the club he's going to. You've come from 20's into a premiership winning team- why should premiership players be dropped?

These guys are contracted to the Broncos. They should be getting ready for first grade, not playing reserve grade for an ISC team.

Glad Bennett pulled them out.

Bennett wants them to play ISC to get ready for the NRL. If Ipswich can't guarantee it, then he might as well put them in a different club. There's no malice there, Ipswich doesn't really need them anyway.

Personally, I would prefer if they did play for Ipswich, so they could pick up some handling and passing skills. But Bennett should do what he thinks is best for them.

These guys are contracted to the Broncos. They should be getting ready for first grade, not playing reserve grade for an ISC team.

Glad Bennett pulled them out.

So ISC teams have to lose games and name weaker line ups? That ridiculous.

If you're not as good as the guys in the ISC team you shouldn't be there. How will just handing out first grade jumpers improve them as players?

I am not bagging Alick but no way after 12 months off and a few 20's games in his career he is a better player than Barba.

Bennett wants them to play ISC to get ready for the NRL. If Ipswich can't guarantee it, then he might as well put them in a different club. There's no malice there, Ipswich doesn't really need them anyway.

Personally, I would prefer if they did play for Ipswich, so they could pick up some handling and passing skills. But Bennett should do what he thinks is best for them.

I agree, most times they're going to play. But first game of the year and after winning the comp drop the guy that scored you 31 tries from 26 games?

Please.

So ISC teams have to lose games and name weaker line ups? That ridiculous.

If you're not as good as the guys in the ISC team you shouldn't be there. How will just handing out first grade jumpers improve them as players?

I am not bagging Alick but no way after 12 months off and a few 20's games in his career he is a better player than Barba.

You are absolutely right, ISC teams don't have to do anything they don't want to. But all actions have consequences, that's called life. A consequence of not doing what the coach giving you the players wants you to do, is losing those players.

It's not a big deal, Bennett needs them playing to get them ready for first grade, the Walkers needed their premiership winners playing; consequently Bennett's players are playing at an ISC club that will start them. End of.

I agree, most times they're going to play. But first game of the year and after winning the comp drop the guy that scored you 31 tries from 26 games?

Please.

Oh well. If they're any good, it's your loss, not ours.

I don't lose or gain anything no matter what happens. I can just understand why you wouldn't drop high performing premiership winners round 1 for untried kid.

The assumption I have played 20's/Broncos contracted therefor I am better than players in ISC just isn't true.

Jets v Souths next week so they will all come up against each other.

I don't know much about Alick and I didn't see him do much in the little I caught of the Wynnum game (the replay isn't complete) but I wouldn't swap Barba with Alick either. Curiously Alick is playing on Eden's wing so not sure what would happen if both are supposed to play.

Active Now

• Battler
  • leon.bott
  • Broncorob
  • Bucking Beads
  • Browny
  • mrslong
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Fozz
  • KateBroncos1812
  • lynx000
  • Maddy
  • FACTHUNT
  • broncos4life
  • Crom
  • Justwin
  • Jedhead
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.