What do you classify as a sport?

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Just got into a heated debate at work after I proclaimed that gymnastics is not a "sport" (Sorry Dara). Just because you have to be fit to do something shouldn't automatically make it a sport IMO. In fact, there are many things at the Olympics which I consider nothing but glorified exercising, and I've made it clear before what I think of the Bore De France.

Thoughts?

If it requires athleticism, coordination, and is done competitively, it's a sport.

Disagree. I think "game" is much more fitting to certain activites requiring those attributes.

I dunno.

I see Motor Racing as a sport, but most of the **** at the olympics IMO is not.

what's the requirement for something being a sport?

I dunno, but twirling some ribbon while prancing about wearing spandex is not a sport IMO. I suppose at the end of the day each persons definition will be subjective, some people probably think hot dog eating contests are a sport.

I know Gymnastics is gay but if it isn't a sport what is it?? Dancing??

Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and engaged in competitively.

/thread

Opinions as well as dictionary definitions would be great

Equestrian events is NOT a sport. It's a parade with horses. I still don't understand how you can win a gold medal simply by having a well trained horse and riding around.

Out of curiosity - what makes soccer any more of a sport than cycling, Scotty?

I think I should have used "IMO" more in my post. Look, if you like it and think it's a sport, good for you. Personally, I find it boring and too monotonous. To me, it's exercising on camera.

I find soccer more of a sport than cycling because there is so much more strategy involved. In cycling you pedal faster than the next guy and you beat him (well, that's my ignorant understanding of it anyway).

So you don't consider sprinting, marathon running etc to be sport either then?

Opinions as well as dictionary definitions would be great
The fact that it's a definition makes it a non argument mate.

I can go and say that I'm of the opinion that the moon shouldn't be considered a celestial body, but it wouldn't change the fact that it is defined that way.

I think I should have used "IMO" more in my post. Look, if you like it and think it's a sport, good for you. Personally, I find it boring and too monotonous. To me, it's exercising on camera.

I find soccer more of a sport than cycling because there is so much more strategy involved. In cycling you pedal faster than the next guy and you beat him (well, that's my ignorant understanding of it anyway).

I used to hate cycling, so I understand where you are coming from. Ironically, though, it's actually one of the most strategic sports going around. The level of tactics involved is extremely high.

That said though, I can understand why some people wouldn't get into it. Particularly with all the doping too.

Still, at least riding a bike is more athletic than riding a horse.

So you don't consider sprinting, marathon running etc to be sport either then?

Ya know I didn't mean to offend you lol

To me they aren't. By definition they are obviously, but I just think there should be more to it for it to be considered a "sport".

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Manifesto
  • Old Mate
  • Lurker
  • Nerd
  • broncos4life
  • broncsgoat
  • Gaz
  • Aldo
  • FACTHUNT
  • Bucking Beads
  • Inside pass
  • Morkel
  • RolledOates
  • Tim K
  • Big Del
  • Jedhead
  • Wolfie
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.