Where does James Roberts rank?

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
Where does James Roberts rank in all time speedsters, first of all that we've had at the Broncos, then in the NRL, then as a comparison to all sports if you like.

My view is that he's likely the fastest player we've had at Brisbane, with Steve Renouf coming in second. Both guys look similar when they run with the ball, but Roberts has a more natural athletic running style when running without the ball, IMO.

Thoughts?

I think Milf was recorded as the fastest Bronco over 40 metres last year sometime?

Milf is super quick off the mark. I think this is where Roberts can work on his speed a bit. Roberts seems fastest from maybe 20-60 meters.

[video]https://youtu.be/mStEa2J7PxI?t=22s[/video]

It won't let me embed a video at a specific time, so you'll have to click the link.

Last edited:
It's difficult to know without having any data present. I'm sure there's records somewhere at the club as they're usually reported in the CM, but I don't think they've tested yet.

Without knowing their speed, I remember Rod Davies was a sprint champion who was signed on his speed. Bott, another basically played an entire season of first grade because of his speed and little else.

Kemp, Walker & Tuqiri were also extremely quick. Watching the latter two run around with Tate was a ton of fun back in the day.

Then I remember weird records like Learoyd-Lahrs being one of the fastest over 40m during the 05 pre-season. It's a real shame injury ruined his career and prevented him from playing his best footy. Especially when he was with us, he would have been great to watch.

i think roberts would be top 2 along side rod davies. roberts is blindingly quick off the mark, it just looks different compared to milford as roberts has a long stride whereas milford takes multiple short sharp steps

i think roberts would be top 2 along side rod davies. roberts is blindingly quick off the mark, it just looks different compared to milford as roberts has a long stride whereas milford takes multiple short sharp steps
I had forgotten about Davies he could gallop. Walker had serious pace too but it's not just about speed you have to hit the holes as well that's why Renouf was king. If we are just rating speed then I would put Roberts 2nd behind Davies.

He is the fastest player I've seen. Slater in his prime could run like the wind but not as fast as Roberts.

Shannon Walker, although not that good a player, is VERY fast, he would give Roberts more than a run for his money in the NRL and he qualifies given he is back with the Titans again I think.

if the nrl could do what the afl do and on the day of the grand final they get the quickest players and do the 100 sprint to see who three fastest nrl player is the 9 players i would love to see in the race would be

lane 1. James Roberts
lane 2. edrick lee
lane 3. marika koribete
lane 4. roger tuivasa-sheck
lane 5. Shaun Johnson
lane 6. Alex Johnson
lane 7. Anthony Milford
lane 8. ?
lane 9. ?

not to sure who else but would love to see that?

if the nrl could do what the afl do and on the day of the grand final they get the quickest players and do the 100 sprint to see who three fastest nrl player is the 9 players i would love to see in the race would be

lane 1. James Roberts
lane 2. edrick lee
lane 3. marika koribete
lane 5. Shaun Johnson
lane 6. Alex Johnson
lane 7. Anthony Milford
lane 8. ?
lane 9. ?

Roberts by 10m

lane 1. James Roberts
lane 2. edrick lee
lane 3. marika koribete
lane 5. Shaun Johnson
lane 6. Alex Johnson
lane 7. Anthony Milford
lane 8. ?
lane 9. ?

Robinson
Mead
Jennings
Walker
Holmes

So if you got one from each club, something like:

Broncos - Roberts/Milford
Cowboys - Granville
Bulldogs - Mbye
Roosters - Jennings
Warriors - RTS
Eels - Radradra
Titans - Walker
Tigers - Naiqama?
Knights - Gagai
Rabbits - Inglis if fit
Raiders - Lee/Austin
Sea Eagles - Walker
Panthers - Mansour/Zelezniak
Dragons - Matua'aita
Storm - Koroibete
Sharks - Holmes

Something like that? Its off the top of my head, so feel free to replace wherever.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.