Who will be our Captain in 2016?

Call me crazy but I really think it's going to be Milford.
He absolutely commands the field, you can see it just watching, always pointing and giving orders. He's a hell of a player and I think he wouldn't let anyone down as captain.

He absolutely commands the field, you can see it just watching, always pointing and giving orders. He's a hell of a player and I think he wouldn't let anyone down as captain.

Respectfully disagree. We saw how he blossomed when the coach deliberately shielded him from pressure. He needs to just keep it simple and worry about his own game and nothing more.

Hunt or Boyd I reckon.

If anyone else apart from Hunt, Boyd, Thaiday, Parker, Macca is going to get it, I think it would be Gillett.

Reports are he was showing real leadership qualities last pre-season.

surely Hunt but Boyd would always be a darkhorse when WB is involved

Imagine the haters going off from other clubs if its Boyd lol

has anyone given thought to moose? sounds a little crazy i know but he has re-signed for another 3-4years, broke into origin last year, he plays long minutes, has no issues off the field, he is the perfect age, and along side parker and sam is the leader of the pack, he is also very well respected in media circles and is very well settled with his family life. i think its a long shot as i believe boyd will captain the team but he is a smoky for me.
has anyone looked at a past trend of bennet captains? might be an exercise worth pursuing. maybe look at age? position? family man or single? and whether they have played origin or not. wayne is a creature of habit so he may have a method he uses?????

has anyone looked at a past trend of bennet captains? might be an exercise worth pursuing. maybe look at age? position? family man or single? and whether they have played origin or not. wayne is a creature of habit so he may have a method he uses?????

Let's go through his NRL career

Dean Lance
Chris Sullivan
Wally Lewis

Greg Dowling
Greg Conescu
Gary French
Gene Miles
Allan Langer

Terry Matterson
Trevor Gillmeister
Kevin Walters
Kerrod Walters
Andrew Gee
Gorden Tallis
Wendell Sailor
Darren Lockyer
Shane Walker
Shane Webcke
Petero Civoniceiva
Brad Thorn
Justin Hodges
Sam Thaiday
Corey Parker
Ben Hornby
Dean Young
Matt Cooper
Nathan Fien
Kurt Gidley
Danny Buderus
Chris Houston
Jarrod Mullen
Beau Scott
Andrew McCullough

Bold indicates club captains.

Now you've just got to dig into the characteristics of each player.

Last edited:
I love Milford, but he can barely string a coherent sentence together. There's no way he should be representing the club as a regular speaker. I don't think he'd even want it anyway, he seems to perform better without the media attention.

Let's go through his NRL career

Dean Lance
Wally Lewis

Greg Dowling
Gene Miles
Allan Langer

Terry Matterson
Trevor Gillmeister
Kevin Walters
Kerrod Walters
Andrew Gee
Gorden Tallis
Wendell Sailor
Darren Lockyer
Shane Walker
Shane Webcke
Petero Civoniceiva
Brad Thorn
Justin Hodges
Sam Thaiday
Corey Parker
Ben Hornby
Dean Young
Matt Cooper
Nathan Fien
Kurt Gidley
Danny Buderus
Chris Houston
Jarrod Mullen
Beau Scott
Andrew McCullough

Bold indicates club captains.

Now you've just got to dig into the characteristics of each player.

I'm sorry. . But i don't understand your list

I'm sorry. . But i don't understand your list

It's all the best candidates from every club that Bennett has coached at. BP wouldn't include the likes of Oates or Nightingale or Gagai in it because 1. The list would be gigantic, and 2. those players and ones like them would never even be in the frame for the captaincy during Bennett's time there.

Tallis? Yeah I can see him being captain. Civo was always a leader so he's a good candidate, even if he doesn't get it, Lockyer? Well please. Basically what BP is saying is find a pattern of behavior.

For mine, Bennett certainly does not shy away from picking a seasoned veteran who he knows has the respect of the playing group well and truly wrapped up. A respected captain is a good captain.

I think the non-bolded ones are players who took on the captaincy for a game or two in the absence of the full-time skipper.

This. Everyone on the list captained their team under Wayne at some point. The bold names are the official 'club captains' that Wayne selected.

Looking at that list, the name that would look quite at home would be Boyd. And Bennett does not give two ***** if people think that it's just because he's the golden child, the surrogate son, the teacher's pet. And I'm okay with that TBH.

I will be pretty surprised if it isnt Boyd.

When Wayne was asked why he appointed Hodges last year he said... "The main reason is Justin has a genuine and deep hatred of losing & he'll do whatever it takes to win. They are the most important traits of any captain"
Based on that, I'd say Parker, Boyd, Hunt.
In that order.

Active Now

• Santa
  • Jazza
  • ozzball
  • mitch222
  • broncoscope
  • Culhwch
  • broncsgoat
  • Bucking Beads
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Alec
  • Financeguy
  • Wolfie
  • The Strapper
  • Broncojim
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.