Who would come to play for us?

B

bigjaymz

BRL Player
Jul 14, 2010
Widdop to Dragons. No one wants to sign with us or are we not chasing hard enough. We need a big name coach and need one now. This is becoming embarrassing!

QUEENSLANDER

QUEENSLANDER

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
From the outside looking in, its almost as though the broncos have a heightened sense of greatness and treat it like "if you dont wanna play for us, we arent going to chase you. we are better than that". obviously i could be wrong but thats just the feeling i get. we need to get in there and chase players. players wont wanna play for us if we have a superiority complex

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
It's not the coach that is stopping players coming to the Broncos.

It's the
australian-money.jpg

What the Dragons are paying some players is way over what they are worth.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
It's not even the money, It's that the Broncos don't appear to actually give a shit about signing. They think the guys we have now are enough and unless a player falls into their laps they don't put in the effort.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
Hopefully this will force us to invest in Hunt.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
From the outside looking in, its almost as though the broncos have a heightened sense of greatness and treat it like "if you dont wanna play for us, we arent going to chase you. we are better than that". obviously i could be wrong but thats just the feeling i get. we need to get in there and chase players. players wont wanna play for us if we have a superiority complex

It certainly does look that way. We signed Stagg because nobody wanted him and he wanted to move to Brissy. We signed Prince because the Titans are paying for half of him and he wanted to stay in SEQ. Seems like we aren't keen on chasing anyone.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
It's that the Broncos don't appear to actually give a shit about signing.

We don't know that.

The Broncos aren't going to announce to the other teams on who we want to sign.

Remember we were burnt by the G.I. debacle. (So now if we miss out on a player, the others teams are none the wiser & the Broncos don't have egg all over their faces.)

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
I remember a while back on this forum I argued with Nashy among others about this in particular and how in part it probably failed to land us Greg Inglis.

I truly believe we still think it is 2001 and we are the bees knees of the NRL, that if players don't throw themselves at the Broncos then they are probably not worth signing.

The last big name we had was giftwrapped to us considering he wanted to go home/church/family, since then we have consistently failed to lure a big name to us despite plenty being on the market. We fucked the Inglis deal because we were too full of ourselves, we didn't have a proper go at JT, haven't attempted to sign anyone killing in the SL, we seem content on giving the juniors and the late bloomers/discards a run and, when it doesn't work out, simply fall back on the, oh well we only have a young team LOL! excuse.

Considering the advantages we can offer players is equalled by few, to me it simply smacks of absolute complacency and an appetite for mediocrity.

We got ourselves into this position because we had too much faith in our juniors. It's nice to back your juniors but it's one thing to basically live off them entirely. Now people are suggesting we sign another bunch of young kids and hope for it to all work out? Like it did this time?

When the Broncos started up, what did they do? They went and bought the best. They then filled out the other positions and built a side around the quality. They got the job done. We have taken our eyes off the road and our hands off the wheel, we don't even know what job needs to be done, let alone how to do it.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
lol @ people crying cos we didnt give widdop 550 a year. whats he ever done on his own?

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Wait until Widdop is a complete failure at the Dragons, people will be saying thank heavens we didn't sign this piece of shit.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
lol @ people crying cos we didnt give widdop 550 a year. whats he ever done on his own?
I don't think you understand, as several of your posts seem to indicate.

People are unhappy with Broncos recruitment in general. The fact that the Dragons, a team going worse than us and with even less to offer, can sign him without much fight, for a reasonable price (you don't think 550k is a reasonable deal for a young 5/8 with an ever increasing salary cap?), when Brisbane have said they are looking for a playmaker - this doesn't concern you at all? If not, should I just ask if you are happy with the squad and what your ambitions are for the next few seasons?

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Wait until Widdop is a complete failure at the Dragons, people will be saying thank heavens we didn't sign this piece of ****.

Cronk would fail at the Dragons without a decent half next to him as well, So no I won't be giving no 'thank heavens'

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
how do you know we arent looking? are you involved with recruitment at the club? how do you know we didnt make an offer to widdop? if 550 is the winning bid then i think the club has made the right decision. i dont know why everyone thinks he's so great all of a sudden.

i'd rather give norman 550 a year. im not kidding.

i just dont know why everyone is losing their minds because 'the club isnt doing anything'. i just dont get how you could know that, based on the sole fact we have no signed a couple of very average players on overpriced salaries.

Last edited:
Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011

Halves seem to be commanding alot of money lately and while it might seem silly to pay them that amount, it's either pay it or miss out. Players are worth as much as clubs are willing to sign them for, so congrats to Widdop who is now worth 550k a year.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I am not overly worried about us not signing Widdop but I am worried about the lack of urgency that our club seems to take in regards to signing players.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Lol, ok then. I think I'd rather a premiership winning 5/8 who's played under one of the best coaches, and played alongside some of the sharpest minds in the game than a kid who's proved nothing, other then not knowing when to pass when an overlap is on.

How do I know we are not looking? I don't. All I know is that we're not DOING anything. Looking isn't doing. Anyone can look, throw an enquiry, play smoke and mirrors. Every other club who has identified issues within their squad are making obvious attempts to rectify this. Brisbane are not doing anything to indicate they are.

You can hide behind the LOL BUT HOW DO YOU KNOW?!, but my friend, the proof is in the pudding. Currently, we have zip.

B

Broncojim

NYC Player
Jul 9, 2011
Brisbane are going to have to pay overs for players, it's the sad reality of the state of the Broncos.

Gone are the days where players will come and stay for less just to be a part of the Broncos.

We still seem to have this idea that players will sign with us for less that other teams just we're the Broncos.

I think it's really time the Broncos board and management woke up to themselves and pull their finger out and started signing some bloody players cause we're not going to win a premiership with this team!

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • levikaden
  • Wolfie
  • sooticus
  • Alec
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.