Worst Coach: 2015 Edition

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Has to be Jason Taylor doesn't it?

After what we saw on Sunday he has to have it in the bag. Why he refused to move Lovett, I'll never know. He was getting carved up deluxe by Whare and it wasn't like he had little choice when he has a former Test centre right there. Sure, Lawrence is a shadow of himself but even he could have done a better job.

To make matters worse, he forced two of his young guns to stick around and do laps which was just silly after the way the game played out.

Am I wrong? Is there another candidate?
Can Taylor recover?

Taylor has it in the bag this year.

Rick Stuart will be happy to shed the award he has had for the last couple of years

Rick Stone would have to be in the grand final, wouldn't he?

I can handle the odd poor selection but stubbornness during a match that directly costs the team points is unforgivable, and running laps after the game? **** off Taylor you numpty.

Very reminiscent of that old grey mare who used to coach us.

Last edited:
I can't for the life of me figure out how Jason Taylor and Ricky Stuart keep getting work.

I can't for the life of me figure out how Jason Taylor and Ricky Stuart keep getting work.

Because, despite some overwhelming evidence in multiple codes and other sports altogether, people still think above-average-to-great players make good coaches. Also, names. Rugby League is still and probably will be forever a 'former players' paradise for jobs as far as media or club appointments go.

Yeah it can work out great sometimes but it can also be a nightmare for everyone involved.

Contenders:

Taylor
Stone
Toovey

Arthur has to contend with morons on the board and salary cap issues so I think he probably doesn't count. Toovey has injury problems also and DCE, so he can be forgiven.

Yeah I think you need to look at injuries when you decide who's a dodgy coach. Taylor doesn't have many excuses on that front, certainly not compared to Gold Coast or Penrith or Manly.

I can handle the odd poor selection but stubbornness during a match that directly costs the team points is unforgivable, and running laps after the game? **** off Taylor you numpty.

he made them run laps after the game ??!?

Has to be Jason Taylor doesn't it?

After what we saw on Sunday he has to have it in the bag. Why he refused to move Lovett, I'll never know. He was getting carved up deluxe by Whare and it wasn't like he had little choice when he has a former Test centre right there. Sure, Lawrence is a shadow of himself but even he could have done a better job.

To make matters worse, he forced two of his young guns to stick around and do laps which was just silly after the way the game played out.

Am I wrong? Is there another candidate?
Can Taylor recover?

I think you're being a bit harsh on Taylor. You're right about not moving Lovett but I was ok with giving him a chance to redeem himself.

I rate Jason Taylor highly. He's one of the very few coaches who hasn't made a habit of bagging referees and he often uses the post-match press conferences to challenge his own team to perform better. The Wests Tigers are full of talented players. The side is just at a point in their evolution though where they think talent is enough. It's why they pull off stunning wins against Souths only to lose to sides that are struggling and out of form in the next few weeks.

I hope the Wests Tigers management stick with him. He's not letting his team get away with poor excuses. By taking this approach, and it does take time, he's laying the ground work for getting a consistent team that can win games based on solid performances regardless of their ability.

If they don't persevere with him - they're just another Warriors. All they'll have to show is a revolving door of coaches and a laundry list of excuses for why a talented team can't play well weeek in, week out.

You're right about not moving Lovett but I was ok with giving him a chance to redeem himself.

There was nothing to be gained from that. Lovett isn't a centre, he's a backrow who was asked to do a job for his team and it clearly was beyond him. That isn't a knock on him, just like it wouldn't be a knock on Gillett or Glenn if they couldn't handle it. It's up to the coach to recognise that and Taylor failed to do so.

I don't disagree with the rest of what you've said although I don't think his long term vision excuses him either. You've got to make the best of what you've got. While it's admirable that he's trying to get the Tigers to become a more consistent side, if it doesn't work to the side's strengths than it is just poor coaching.

I also don't think his recruitment has been that great either. Released a bunch of players and brought nobody in despite it being apparent that they desperately need some starch in their forward pack. Can live with small term pain for long term gain but who has he signed to help out his young halves?

I agree that the Tigers should stick by him for now but don't think he's done anything to deserve being rated highly. Talking the talk in press conferences shouldn't be enough to land you a job, otherwise you'll just end up with Matt Elliott.

Round 21 2012

Broncos v Eels - Suncorp

Eels were the worst team in the competition and were without a few of their stars including Hayne. Brisbane were coming off a disappointing loss against the Titans and were missing a bunch of backs leaving them with a backline of Capewell, Beale, Te'o, Glenn & Maranta. Suffice to say, the two backrows get carved up, it's clear they're getting done for pace and a change needs to be made. Thankfully Hook has Whitchurch on the bench, one of the Broncos best juniors coming through and he could make a difference.

He brings Whitchurch on...

...then takes him straight off after one error.

From that point, Brisbane get toweled up and Whitchurch goes from promising rookie, to seriously injured to a punchline.

I remember blowing up when the Sack Hook thread was made, but if anything it should have been made after this game, not the Round 25 clash against Manly.

I think I remember the game where Griffindor hooked Whitchurch. Wallace ended up making Whitchurch look like he was Mal Meninga that night in comparisson, just an absolute shocker. We had Hunt on the bench too, but Wallace never got hooked.

Because, despite some overwhelming evidence in multiple codes and other sports altogether, people still think above-average-to-great players make good coaches. Also, names. Rugby League is still and probably will be forever a 'former players' paradise for jobs as far as media or club appointments go.

Yeah it can work out great sometimes but it can also be a nightmare for everyone involved.

I dont think it is that simple. Jason Taylor got his job (among other things) because his work at the Roosters was very well respected. he also sounds like he has a really good mind for rugby league when he talks.

Plus, he did a great job with the Eels in 2006. They were in the doldrums before he took over part-way through 2006 and elevated them into the finals with a heavy injury toll.

That earned him his foot in the door at South Sydney where he did a great job of getting them into the Top 8 but he couldn't follow through.

You could walk away from that thinking it said more about Souths than it did about Taylor and whatever weaknesses Taylor had as a manager he could fix with experience. However, his current stint at Wests suggests otherwise.

I think Rick Stone is the worst coach in the comp.

But then again, the Knights players know no matter how they play, they will still get picked in 1st grade.

Plus, he did a great job with the Eels in 2006. They were in the doldrums before he took over part-way through 2006 and elevated them into the finals with a heavy injury toll.

That earned him his foot in the door at South Sydney where he did a great job of getting them into the Top 8 but he couldn't follow through.

You could walk away from that thinking it said more about Souths than it did about Taylor and whatever weaknesses Taylor had as a manager he could fix with experience. However, his current stint at Wests suggests otherwise.

Sheens, Potter and now JT? Granted Sheens is an idiot but how much of the problem is the coach and how much of it is the club/Robbie Farah?

That's a fair question but what's Taylor done about it?

If anything, it seems like he's won Farah over. Remember how things came to a head when Farah was replaced with Luani against Manly in 2013? It doesn't seem like Robbie's taken the same offence to Halatau taking over...

...even though Halatau has no business playing hooker. I'd say he got the nod due to overall lack of experience, but seriously Cherrington is the best dummy half to come through the Tigers system in lord knows how long. It's mind boggling Taylor didn't give him that 'cameo' spot.

My point is, I don't think you can blame it on a fractured relationship with the captain nor the players.

Judging from his comments, Taylor has taken a long term gain for short term pain approach. That isn't a bad approach...but you need the cattle to do it. Outside of Woods, Farah and Taupau their pack is ordinary bordering on being woeful and they can't be the defensive side Taylor wants them to be. Instead of looking to bring in a few alternatives to improve things, or going with a different approach, Taylor just produces these sooky press conference where it sounds like he's on the verge of tears.

Active Now

• MrMoore
  • Culhwch
  • Bucking Beads
  • Maddy
  • Ondi
  • Harry Sack
  • Ozired
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BroncosAlways
  • Johnny92
  • Sproj
  • Manlyman
  • Alec
  • Wolfie
  • Morepudding
  • porouian
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Strop
  • Broncojim
... and 16 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.