PLAYER Xavier Willison

I hope we don't get too carried away with Walsh's contract. Whiles he's good, we can't ruin our cap for him.

I doubt we will ... And I certainly doubt Rothfields claim that it is now going to be closer to $1.4 million a year that $1.1 million

People need to relax and have patience ... These aren't standard employment contracts.

Unfortunately one of the down sides of plugging the leaks is that you no longer hear info about progress with talks

I hope we don't get too carried away with Walsh's contract. Whiles he's good, we can't ruin our cap for him.
They will be very weary over R V Milford regarding this... Walsh will earn the biggest payday through Third Party Deals and will have more of those opportunities in Brisbane. If he goes to Sydney he is instantly competing with the likes of Turbo, Tedesco, Mitchel and the like. In Brisbane he is in a league of his own.

Cobbo will stay for similar reasons.

Id rather ruin the cap for a marquee like Walsh who we can never seem to find then keep it for forwards who literally fall out of the production line every year.
We have finally produced a marquee fullback who has the ability to become the NRLs darling for the next 10 years and people are like oh don't pay him to much cause we have a few forwards we need to pay. Walsh is our biggest asset to the club moving forward and they will definitely reward him for this and deservedly so.
I'm not saying I would be happy if we lost a front rower like Wilison to another club with a better offer but we seem to be decent at finding excellent forwards year in year out to step up to fill the void. What we cant seem to really find is quality spine players every year. Prioritize the spine first because at the end of the day, they are the ones who help you win premierships the most.

Id rather ruin the cap for a marquee like Walsh who we can never seem to find then keep it for forwards who literally fall out of the production line every year.
We have finally produced a marquee fullback who has the ability to become the NRLs darling for the next 10 years and people are like oh don't pay him to much cause we have a few forwards we need to pay. Walsh is our biggest asset to the club moving forward and they will definitely reward him for this and deservedly so.
I'm not saying I would be happy if we lost a front rower like Wilison to another club with a better offer but we seem to be decent at finding excellent forwards year in year out to step up to fill the void. What we cant seem to really find is quality spine players every year. Prioritize the spine first because at the end of the day, they are the ones who help you win premierships the most.
I guess I'm just still scarred from the Milford days lol.

Although I want to keep X, I remember the doom and gloom posting over losing Arrow only for Carrigan to come along. We haven't lost too much with Fifi, probably the best attacking forward in the comp, leaving either.

I know people are saying use money from fringe players like Del, Oatesy and Tapau for example to upgrade Willison, and while they are all on probably about $200-250k a year, you still have to replace those players in the squad.

I've always said it, the key to managing your cap is to not pay everyone top dollar and to not try to have a superstar in every position. No club can carry that many without a sacrifice from certain players at the club, and for us, that means Haas staying for less, and Reece signing for less. Payne didnt, and i doubt Reece will either. You even look at a player like Piakura. Proved nothing in his career yet really, but i reckon he's already on over $600k a year if not more considering his contract he signed in 2021 was worth $400k a year.

What we need now from Willison is the rest of the year of him doing what he has been doing so far this season. Once he has done that, then we should be talking figures with a better indication of his consistency.

People needed to listen to me. I told you all we were in safe hands with Patty 😁
Patty was the call of the century however I always agreed - Even in the tough times i remember Patty running the ball straight, getting hammered every hit-up and then line up for more in the next set! It was great to see.

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.