NEWS ‘When I went to grab it, my bicep wasn’t there’: Reynolds confident he’ll be back before NRL finals

BHQArticleImageLarge34.jpg

Adam Reynolds has declared he will return to the NRL before the finals.

The Broncos skipper ruptured a biceps in Friday night’s big loss to the Roosters, but he is hopeful he will be back on the field by round 22 when Brisbane take on the Gold Coast Titans.

Reynolds will have surgery on Monday and concedes the time out will only help the rest of his body be fresh for the finals.

“I’m aiming to be back about a month before finals, and if anything it could be a blessing because I can come back fit and fresh and try to inject some life into the team,” Reynolds said.

“It’s a long year, and it’s always good when you have some fresh legs at the back end of the year.”

Silence fell across Suncorp Stadium on Friday night when Reynolds went to tackle Sydney Roosters centre Junior Pauga early in the second half and immediately clutched at his left biceps. He tried to run back into the defensive line, tackled Joseph Suaalii with his right arm, before he walked off to a standing ovation.

“It was a weird one, it wasn’t too sore, it just felt like a burst of air went out of my arm,” Reynolds said.

“It felt weak. When I went to grab it, my bicep wasn’t there. For a little fella, the ‘guns’ aren’t too bad, but it felt like jelly.

“I’ll have the surgery, then basically not do anything for the first two weeks. I’ll then get on the bike, then start running after four weeks.

“I knew it wasn’t season-ending. I always knew biceps were around a three-month recovery. I’m glad it didn’t happen later in the season. Kobe [Hetherington] did it last year, Herbie [Farnworth] did one, and ‘Sutto’ [John Sutton] did it when I was at Souths.

“The Titans game in round 22 would be nice, or the Cowboys the following week. There’s a bye and then Parramatta [in round 25], but I’d like to get back a week before the bye so you can have the contact and then a week to get over the soreness.”

The Broncos were frantic in attack and failed to control possession in the 40-18 loss to the Roosters.

Jock Madden is an outside chance to return from a pec injury in time for Friday’s game against Parramatta, while Tristan Sailor and Josh Rogers are Brisbane’s other halves options.

Reynolds said his absence could force his side into playing a more structured style, “rather than playing off the cuff, which will benefit us”.

The 33-year-old still has next year to run on his deal, and said the latest injury was not ideal but also one that would not cause him issues moving forward.

Sydney Morning Herald

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.