2019 Broncos Line-up

I said this several times last year on Fai when people randomly selected him in the Broncos. He just wasn't interested, he looked unhappy all season. He couldn't even follow Dennis and for a fringey that's life made.

It happens quite a lot on here, players who people have barely or never seen play get pushed for an NRL spot just because of hype or a newspaper article about them.

There's an interesting article up on NRL.com where Seibold highlights two areas he wants to address.

Last year the Broncos finished 15th for play-the-ball speeds in attack and shifts. He wants the forwards to fight harder in the play the ball and give Anthony and Kodi more time to use the football.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/14...to-unlocking-best-in-brisbane-broncos-halves/

I know it's borderline common sense stuff like 'miss less tackles, score more points' but it's reassuring to hear the coach touch on a problem, why it's significant and how he plans to address it.

Spot on, it's a hell of a lot better than "the effort was there" and other brain dead tripe

It happens quite a lot on here, players who people have barely or never seen play get pushed for an NRL spot just because of hype or a newspaper article about them.

Or because some saw him in the 20s and thought this kid has the makings of a Star, which he did but unfortunately not the drive to get there.

Any idea why O'Sullivan wasn't named to play in the trial game? Dargan, Deardon, Boyd and Paix were selected head of him.

Any idea why O'Sullivan wasn't named to play in the trial game? Dargan, Deardon, Boyd and Paix were selected head of him.

I think SOS is just above them in the pecking order right now and is still with the main squad. Think he was training today, not sure but i think the team for tomorrow have already gone to Warwick.

I think SOS is just above them in the pecking order right now and is still with the main squad. Think he was training today, not sure but i think the team for tomorrow have already gone to Warwick.
Is the trial for tomorrow confirmed? The Broncos event webpage says 23/2.

The thinking is that they were selected behind OSullivan sad the first trial is mostly for players outside the 30

Yeah, he got one of the jersey's for training to signify how well he is doing.

It makes me wonder how highly Seibold actually does rate O'Sullivan..

I'm wondering if Seibold only played Cook for 80 minutes last year because he can sustain attacking pressure for the 80.

With Macca, it would be boring to have him at hooker for the 80. I think he will play 80 to start the season but if Nikorima doesn't perform to Seibold's standards as a halfback then I can see O'Sullivan slotting in there at 7 and Nikorima moving to bench hooker.

Does anyone think that Seibold could be coaching Macca to play in a different play which could reinvigorate his dummy half play? Could he do more to get out forwards rolling up the field? Take a few steps like Smith does?

Last edited:
Yeah, he got one of the jersey's for training to signify how well he is doing.

It makes me wonder how highly Seibold actually does rate O'Sullivan..

I'm wondering if Seibold only played Cook for 80 minutes last year because he can sustain attacking pressure for the 80.

With Macca, it would be boring to have him at hooker for the 80. I think he will play 80 to start the season but if Nikorima doesn't perform to Seibold's standards as a halfback then I can see O'Sullivan slotting in there at 7 and Nikorima moving to bench hooker.

Does anyone think that Seibold could be coaching Macca to play in a different play which could reinvigorate his dummy half play? Could he do more to get out forwards rolling up the field? Take a few steps like Smith does?

Sorry, I just read this..

"There was criticism of Milford and Nikorima, but they need the footy in their hands when they want it."
Seibold intends to give Milford and Nikorima extended time to further build their partnership but warned that Roosters recruit Sean O'Sullivan was putting the heat on both men.
"Sean O'Sullivan was a great back-up at the Roosters. He has had a really good pre-season, physically he has improved," he said.
"Milford and Nikorima are the guys in the frame at the moment. The more we can persist with those guys, it builds cohesion and connection. When you change your spine, you lose cohesion.
"There is a lot of research around the more time people attack and defend together as a unit, it has some positive results in performances. They have their noses in front, but Sean has an opportunity in pre-season to bite at those guys' heels."

Macca is nowhere near as bad as some people make out imo. He plays the way he is asked to. I personally think he is going to surprise a lot of people this year.

It definitely could be his best season to date.

I would give Niko this year. Have been watching a lot of our '18 highlights and he has some damn nice touches and contributions. Just need a few more from him per game.

I wonder if we could ever see KNik moved to 1. Not this year or even next but when Boyd is injured or retires.

I have serious doubts that Isaako will ever be a good fullback.

Any idea why O'Sullivan wasn't named to play in the trial game? Dargan, Deardon, Boyd and Paix were selected head of him
I wonder if we could ever see KNik moved to 1. Not this year or even next but when Boyd is injured or retires.

High ball a problem for KNik?

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...y/news-story/04f4f4311b2b8a6238645ddc1459e827
Brisbane put Anthony Milford on ice until NRL season opener following hamstring injury
FEBRUARY 14, 2019
Broncos five-eighth Anthony Milford has been put on ice until the NRL premiership after suffering a hamstring injury a month out from the season.
Milford has been on restricted duties this week as he nurses hamstring and shoulder complaints and may not play a trial before the NRL season kicks off.
The hamstring problem is not believed to be serious, but it is another hurdle for Brisbane’s $1 million man to overcome in the lead-up to Round 1.
Milford underwent a second shoulder reconstruction in the off-season and his rehabilitation was tracking smoothly until last week.
The 24-year-old playmaker landed heavily on his suspect shoulder in a training drill captured by television cameras.
Milford, who was sporting a red no-contact singlet at the time, got up gingerly from the incident and soldiered on.
He has since reported the hamstring problem and has been on light duties this week.
Regardless of his fitness, Milford was not expected to play in tonight’s trial match against Souths-Logan in Warwick.
He was slated to feature in next Saturday’s trial against Wynnum-Manly, however that appears unlikely.
“Milf is pretty confident he will be on the park in a couple of weeks,” said Broncos assistant coach Kurt Richards.
“We can only listen to him and the performance staff. He knows his body better than anyone else, so we are pretty hopeful he will be okay.
“My understanding is that (they will rest him next week). I’m pretty sure Milf is keen to play 20-odd minutes next week but I’m pretty sure we will hold him off.”
Milford will play in the NRL season opener against Melbourne. AAP image, John Gass.
Milford’s last opportunity to play before the Broncos’ NRL season-opener against Melbourne on March 14 will be in Brisbane’s final trial against the Titans on the Gold Coast on March 2.
The hamstring injury is untimely given new coach Anthony Seibold has overhauled Brisbane’s attacking structure and Milford will get limited time to adjust to the changes.
Seibold has tinkered with the way Milford and halfback Kodi Nikorima will operate, but they may only get a short stint to practice before the Storm season-opener.

More likely to see him moved to ISC and then out the door.

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.