2019 Broncos Line-up

I always thought Macca was better off being used off the bench.

Some of his better games where his service and running game actually got us on the front foot were from the bench.
I cant even remember his last game off the bench lol 2008?

I was happy to learn the Broncos had signed Turpin in the off-season. The role of a back-up dummy half is incredibly underrated and you just to have look at clubs like North Queensland to see what can happen when it goes belly up. Turpin was an inspired blue chip signing and I liked that we had somebody with experience in an NRL system, playing ISC and junior rep footy.

The club could not have given Turpin a better opportunity. Turpin broke his ankle early in the season and was rushed into the NRL side when he did make his debut. In his short stints, he certainly didn't look out of place and I'm glad the Broncos have that insurance.

Turpin was impressive in the Q Cup Grand Final, he was fantastic at getting his receivers running onto the football and some of his last tackle options yielded positive results for the Dolphins. He only played half a game, but Redcliffe looked strong with him on the field.

His ISC Championship performance was a mixed bag. Granted I wasn't paying close attention, so feel free to correct me, but from what I saw a lot of his passes were going to ground and I saw a couple 'scoop up' which is really sloppy for a number 9. Again, the Dolphins had plenty of injuries to contend with, but nothing about the performance screamed NRL player. Even Staggs who had some forgettable moments came up with a couple of plays that impressed me.

I was happy to learn the Broncos had signed Turpin in the off-season. The role of a back-up dummy half is incredibly underrated and you just to have look at clubs like North Queensland to see what can happen when it goes belly up. Turpin was an inspired blue chip signing and I liked that we had somebody with experience in an NRL system, playing ISC and junior rep footy.

The club could not have given Turpin a better opportunity. Turpin broke his ankle early in the season and was rushed into the NRL side when he did make his debut. In his short stints, he certainly didn't look out of place and I'm glad the Broncos have that insurance.

Turpin was impressive in the Q Cup Grand Final, he was fantastic at getting his receivers running onto the football and some of his last tackle options yielded positive results for the Dolphins. He only played half a game, but Redcliffe looked strong with him on the field.

His ISC Championship performance was a mixed bag. Granted I wasn't paying close attention, so feel free to correct me, but from what I saw a lot of his passes were going to ground and I saw a couple 'scoop up' which is really sloppy for a number 9. Again, the Dolphins had plenty of injuries to contend with, but nothing about the performance screamed NRL player. Even Staggs who had some forgettable moments came up with a couple of plays that impressed me.

I watch quite a lot of Redcliffe, and I don't think in terms of performances this year there has been anything really between Pratt and Turpin at hooker.

If I was looking at Recruiting a hooker going forward from the ISC it would be Harry Grant. I know he is at Melbourne, but I can see his path blocked there in the future as they already have Brandon Smith lined up to replace Cam.

I watch quite a lot of Redcliffe, and I don't think in terms of performances this year there has been anything really between Pratt and Turpin at hooker.

If I was looking at Recruiting a hooker going forward from the ISC it would be Harry Grant. I know he is at Melbourne, but I can see his path blocked there in the future as they already have Brandon Smith lined up to replace Cam.

If there's someone we should be throwing the chequebook at it's Brandon Smith, I've been impressed every single time I've seen him, runs and tackles as hard as anyone, has some skill as well.

If there's someone we should be throwing the chequebook at it's Brandon Smith, I've been impressed every single time I've seen him, runs and tackles as hard as anyone, has some skill as well.

I can't stand him. Good player, but he has one of those faces you want to slap.

Melbourne have him tied down for quite a long contract iirc, which is why maybe we could go for somebody like Grant who will probably see his pathway blocked at the storm a little by Brandon Smith.

If we can retain TPJ and Oates the team on paper should be a genuine title contender for 2019. I'm worried that if we don't take this thing out next year we'll be looking at a new coach and squad, with another rebuild period looming. Bennett has built this side since Hook was shown the door and IMO looks to be pretty much complete bar a 7... If SOS turns out good and Boyd can get his body right, **** me we have a good side. If the players and coaching staff thought they had pressure on them this season to perform, next year will be 10 fold. We need a relatively injury free season and for the players to play with some fucking hunger. The club and the fans want another trophy and now is the time.

It's quite possible this current crop of players are just incapable of replicating the attitude they had in 2015 because they are still mentally scarred from the GF.

Teams that lose a GF in such a way usually take a long time to get back there again. The players have already admitted the GF still haunts them.

If that's the case, we won't be winning a premiership for a long long time. Not until we get a coach that can sort that shit out.

Players that have been in that situation have spoken about the toll it can have on a playing group, how long it can take to actually recover from it.

Hopefully the inclusion of Bird and some of the other guys like TPJ can sort that shit out.

It's quite possible this current crop of players are just incapable of replicating the attitude they had in 2015 because they are still mentally scarred from the GF.

Teams that lose a GF in such a way usually take a long time to get back there again. The players have already admitted the GF still haunts them.

If that's the case, we won't be winning a premiership for a long long time. Not until we get a coach that can sort that shit out.

Players that have been in that situation have spoken about the toll it can have on a playing group, how long it can take to actually recover from it.

Hopefully the inclusion of Bird and some of the other guys like TPJ can sort that shit out.
I get what your saying but I think any GF loss is going to have an impact. Going down in the biggest game of the year in any fashion should fuel the hunger.

I can't stand him. Good player, but he has one of those faces you want to slap.

Melbourne have him tied down for quite a long contract iirc, which is why maybe we could go for somebody like Grant who will probably see his pathway blocked at the storm a little by Brandon Smith.
Unfortunately his path would be even more blocked here than at Melbourne. As much as McCullough is on the nose with fans, the club and the past three coaches have not given anyone else a proper shot at the 9 jersey and we have no indication that's about to change. The best chance we have of recruiting a good 9 is somebody who is homesick for Brisbane, considered 'over the hill' or somebody who is otherwise unwanted for off-field issues. Why else would they come to the depth-hooker's graveyard?

Think McCullough works better with a back-up hooker off the bench. The two-punch with Nikorima in 2015 worked well. Mostly because Nikorima was dynamite but reckon McCullough also pushed himself more in attack.

If he knows he has to play 80, I'd imagine he'd be wary of not burning himself out. Follows that he'd play more conservatively to conserve a bit of energy. Like to see Turpin on the bench next season.

Boyd
Isaako
Bird
Roberts
Oates
Milford
O'Sullivan
Lodge
McCullough
TPJ
Su'a
Gillett
McGuire

Haas
Ofahengaue
Staggs
Fafita

I've probably forgot someone though.

What I Expect | What I Want
1. Boyd | Isaako
2. Oates | Oates (Kahu if Oates leaves)
3. Roberts | Roberts
4. Bird | Bird
5. Isaako | Boyd
6. Milford | Milford
7. Nikorima | O'Sullivan / Anyone else
8. Offahengue | McGuire
9. Macca | Macca
10. Lodge | Lodge
11. S'ua | Glenn
12. Gillett | Fifita
13. McGuire | TPJ
14. TPJ | Gillett
15. Glenn | Offahengue
16. Fifita | S'ua
17. Staggs | Nikorima

Then Haas would be 18th man i'd assume.

I have big question marks over Gillett. He is looking very skinny and after his neck injury it will be interesting to see how he returns. I hope he returns to his best but given his age, and the severity of his neck injury, and the mental scars associated with it i'm not confident. As good as Gillett and McGuire have been for the club, I do feel they are taking up a big chunk of our cap and perhaps not performing to the level as some of these younger guys. McGuire definitely needs to move away from lock IMO because he just isn't up for the ball playing. Whether that's due to his eye injury or skill, i'm not sure, but we would be better off with someone like TPJ or Offa there I think.

Boyd is also a huge concern for me. Even at the back end of the season he was constantly out of position and didn't show urgency to get there in defence when defending the line. He wouldn't follow the play and make repeat efforts like the good fullbacks (Slater, Tedesco, RTS etc) do. Hell, even Isaako was far better in the limited time he played there at making repeat efforts. Not having a fullback for grubbers close to the line hurt us far too much this year. From memory we conceded over 20 tries from grubbers throughout the year which is pretty awful.

What I Expect | What I Want
1. Boyd | Isaako
2. Oates | Oates (Kahu if Oates leaves)
3. Roberts | Roberts
4. Bird | Bird
5. Isaako | Boyd
6. Milford | Milford
7. Nikorima | O'Sullivan / Anyone else
8. Offahengue | McGuire
9. Macca | Macca
10. Lodge | Lodge
11. S'ua | Glenn
12. Gillett | Fifita
13. McGuire | TPJ
14. TPJ | Gillett
15. Glenn | Offahengue
16. Fifita | S'ua
17. Staggs | Nikorima

Then Haas would be 18th man i'd assume.

I have big question marks over Gillett. He is looking very skinny and after his neck injury it will be interesting to see how he returns. I hope he returns to his best but given his age, and the severity of his neck injury, and the mental scars associated with it i'm not confident. As good as Gillett and McGuire have been for the club, I do feel they are taking up a big chunk of our cap and perhaps not performing to the level as some of these younger guys. McGuire definitely needs to move away from lock IMO because he just isn't up for the ball playing. Whether that's due to his eye injury or skill, i'm not sure, but we would be better off with someone like TPJ or Offa there I think.

Boyd is also a huge concern for me. Even at the back end of the season he was constantly out of position and didn't show urgency to get there in defence when defending the line. He wouldn't follow the play and make repeat efforts like the good fullbacks (Slater, Tedesco, RTS etc) do. Hell, even Isaako was far better in the limited time he played there at making repeat efforts. Not having a fullback for grubbers close to the line hurt us far too much this year. From memory we conceded over 20 tries from grubbers throughout the year which is pretty awful.

No way will Boyd ever play wing ever again and nor should he ever be selected there. It’s full back until isaako is ready and then its centre

No way will Boyd ever play wing ever again and nor should he ever be selected there. It’s full back until isaako is ready and then its centre

I think that once WB leaves that Boyd will definitely follow him to which ever club WB signs with. I doubt broncos would stand in the way if Boyd wanted to leave either.

I think that once WB leaves that Boyd will definitely follow him to which ever club WB signs with. I doubt broncos would stand in the way if Boyd wanted to leave either.

Boyd has already said he isn't leaving if Bennett leaves.

Active Now

• Jazza
  • BroncosAlways
  • Hurrijo
  • whykickamoocow
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fitzy
  • Maddy
  • Santa
  • Foordy
  • Sproj
  • Brocko
  • Xzei
  • blacknwhite
  • Browny
  • The True King
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Battler
  • Dash
  • Allo
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.