POST GAME 2023 NRL Grand Final - Penrith vs Brisbane

I genuinely wonder they would be better served letting Luai go. To be honest, he is basically their only player that gives genuine reasons to hate them and is just so average. He is made to look so much better by the system around him. Nathan Cleary himself said that Cogger coming on unlocked him and it is clear as day that is true. Is Luai even a top 5 six in the game? I mean, if you are going to fork out what he is asking, you'd want to be sure he is.

That 20 minutes from Cleary was sensational and if Luai was still out there, they lose that game, I'm sure of it.
Agree. Luai offered them nothing in attack and wouldn’t have gotten the ball out to Crichton for that try. The 40-20 from Cleary was as clutch as you get. Off the third tackle too.

Choked is a visceral, derogatory term and probably (in my book) one of the, if not the, biggest slur you can hurl at a footy player. They simply ran out of steam mate. They were goosed, they had gone well and truly beyond empty to get to that stage and the Riff (through Cleary) were able to claw their way back.

None of our boys. let alone our team chocked.

I don't put such an emotional meaning on the word choke.

Also, this running out of steam? Where's it come from? They didn't look fatigued, their slow as hell defensive line that was threatening to bust the game open throughout finally came back and kicked their ass. Where you see fatigue, I see a bunch of inexperienced blokes look at the score board and forgot the plan.

I genuinely wonder they would be better served letting Luai go. To be honest, he is basically their only player that gives genuine reasons to hate them and is just so average. He is made to look so much better by the system around him. Nathan Cleary himself said that Cogger coming on unlocked him and it is clear as day that is true. Is Luai even a top 5 six in the game? I mean, if you are going to fork out what he is asking, you'd want to be sure he is.

That 20 minutes from Cleary was sensational and if Luai was still out there, they lose that game, I'm sure of it.
Yeah, if they are offering him around 700-800k to re sign he should take their arm off in accepting it.

Luai needs the Panthers more than the Panthers need Luai.

Reyno was shitting bricks before the game. He was the most visibly nervous I’ve seen a senior player interviewed pre match. I messaged a few people really concerned by his demeanour- right from that video of him kissing his family goodbye.
I didnt see Reyno's interview before the game, but my brother did and he said the exact same thing.
Never seen a bloke look more nervous before a game.

I didnt see Reyno's interview before the game, but my brother did and he said the exact same thing.
Never seen a bloke look more nervous before a game.
I think he just feels he owes the broncos for the opportunity and wanted to deliver us a premiership. It probably got the better of him on the day. Pressure is a mother f***** and not everyone can have the mamba mentality.

385000257 711458807681835 986481336464417655 n

A classic case of a player thinking he was out of the play because the ball went the other side of the ruck.

Walsh should have kept moving over with Riki. Although feels a little wrong to just single out one play/player, this just hurt because it was the winning try.

Looking at the second pic I wonder what would have happened if Walsh had run in to the back of the 2 panthers players and taken a dive.

EDIT - although on further reflection maybe Riki didn't even need to push across so far as there was already 4 broncos players to 3 panthers.

A classic case of a player thinking he was out of the play because the ball went the other side of the ruck.

Walsh should have kept moving over with Riki. Although feels a little wrong to just single out one play/player, this just hurt because it was the winning try.

Looking at the second pic I wonder what would have happened if Walsh had run in to the back of the 2 panthers players and taken a dive.

View attachment 24585
View attachment 24586
That was Walsh’s moment. One last dig for glory. He needed to do something but did nothing but watch Cleary. Someone like Thurston used to chase everything to the death. But he too had to learn like walsh will.

They were fatigued from the first half BECAUSE they were monstered convincingly. JFH and Moses completely destroyed us.

I dont think they got monstered. We kept making errors that put us under pressure, which then led to a lot of fatigue. Its not like any of our forwards had poor games, i thought they all stood up but its hard when you cant hold the ball. 5 errors in the first 15 mins tells you a lot.

That was Walsh’s moment. One last dig for glory. He needed to do something but did nothing but watch Cleary. Someone like Thurston used to chase everything to the death. But he too had to learn like walsh will.
I thought of Thurston tbh. 99 times out of 100 he wouldn't be needed, but the 1 time he was, he was there.

You can see how far the other players have moved in between those 2 pics to try and shut down the threat. Walsh hasn't moved at all. He did move late, but Cleary was already through the gap by then.

I dont think they got monstered. We kept making errors that put us under pressure, which then led to a lot of fatigue. Its not like any of our forwards had poor games, i thought they all stood up but its hard when you cant hold the ball. 5 errors in the first 15 mins tells you a lot.

Monstered isn't the right word. They certainly weren't as effective as we had come to expect, because Penrith's pack did a lot better than I was expecting them to do against our boys.

Monstered isn't the right word. They certainly weren't as effective as we had come to expect, because Penrith's pack did a lot better than I was expecting them to do against our boys.

I thought both packs played well tbh. Dont think in the scheme of thing there was a lot between them but that first 15-20 mins with the amount of errors we made and the defence we had to do took a fair bit out of our boys. To go into the break 2 point behind on the back of a half where we made 8 errors against a top, top side was incredible.

I was speechless for about 30 minutes after the game but it just doesn’t feel too bad. We did incredible to even make it that far and then played our part in one of the best grand finals of the last decade. Panthers looked beatable for large periods but they finished so strong that it’s almost hard to not think it was part of a game plan to finish strong. They made 1 error all game - that’s incredible. A shame they aren’t a more likeable team because they really are a special moment in league history. Cleary will be a goat

Some harsh lessons learned for a few guys. Walsh especially.

This is a set play, someone wasn't in position. Who fucked up?

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Fitzy
  • ParraMania
  • BroncosAlways
  • The Boss
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.