Mar 4, 2008
Luke Burt Burleigh Bears coach
410206754 7243983122299827 8676466664650560542 n

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I watched the GF again because honestly, it was a simply amazing game and while the result sucks, there was no shame in losing that one. Just one of the best games of league I've ever seen but a couple of points to highlight:

- We are going to massively miss Herbie AND Flegs, they were immense in that GF and while I think we can replace them long term, there is going to be some short-term teething pains with the replacements and I just hope fans are patient because I think we are going to fly home next year once the new combos bed down
- Riki was simply stunning and to be honest, he may well be the steal of our re-signings, he is an absolute gun
- Reyno is going to be burning next season for redemption, he really was found a bit wanting in the GF sadly but he still had some nice moments
- Walsh had probably his worst game he's ever had but he will also be burning to get a redemption shot and he will own the next opportunity he gets
- Mam was just electric, was trying to bust them from the outset and once they broke, he just kept coming
- Arthars was phenomenal, what a lesson in taking your shot when it comes, so glad we have him locked up, that was one amazing game to build on moving forward
- Staggs was exceptional, he was up for it and I am glad we still have him, he seems to have massively matured
- Haas is quite simply going to go down as the best prop of all time, he just could not be stopped and no one at all can stop him, doesn't matter how many are trying to do so

We'll win it all next year. Despite the losses we and Penrith have had in the offseason, I just don't see anyone being able to rise enough to match us except for, unfortunately, the Roosters. I think that is your clear top three going in to 2024.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I watched the GF again because honestly, it was a simply amazing game and while the result sucks, there was no shame in losing that one. Just one of the best games of league I've ever seen but a couple of points to highlight:

- We are going to massively miss Herbie AND Flegs, they were immense in that GF and while I think we can replace them long term, there is going to be some short-term teething pains with the replacements and I just hope fans are patient because I think we are going to fly home next year once the new combos bed down
- Riki was simply stunning and to be honest, he may well be the steal of our re-signings, he is an absolute gun
- Reyno is going to be burning next season for redemption, he really was found a bit wanting in the GF sadly but he still had some nice moments
- Walsh had probably his worst game he's ever had but he will also be burning to get a redemption shot and he will own the next opportunity he gets
- Mam was just electric, was trying to bust them from the outset and once they broke, he just kept coming
- Arthars was phenomenal, what a lesson in taking your shot when it comes, so glad we have him locked up, that was one amazing game to build on moving forward
- Staggs was exceptional, he was up for it and I am glad we still have him, he seems to have massively matured
- Haas is quite simply going to go down as the best prop of all time, he just could not be stopped and no one at all can stop him, doesn't matter how many are trying to do so

We'll win it all next year. Despite the losses we and Penrith have had in the offseason, I just don't see anyone being able to rise enough to match us except for, unfortunately, the Roosters. I think that is your clear top three going in to 2024.
I was thinking this should be its own thread. For those who are willing to watch it again can rule the comb over what went right and wrong. What do you think?

Not sure I'm ready myself. But I'm glad you have.

My vague recollection towards the end was Reyno dudded it and Billy didn't bring enough after his superb first stint. I'd thrown in the towel 5 to go. There were positives but I can't remember them. I might see something different with a rewatch.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I might have a look at some squads and see what happens over the next few weeks. Of course the offseason isn't finished yet, so who knows what other player moves might happen but based on right now, here are how the Tigers are looking for 2024:

1. Bula
2. Staines
3. Naden
4. To'a
5. Tupou
6. Doueihi
7. Sezer
8. Klemmer
9. Koraisau
10. Utoikamanu
11. Papali'i
12. Bateman
13. Blore (if he doesn't go to the Storm early)

14. Fainu/Sullivan
15. Fainu
16. Twal
17. Pole

The reality is, they are incredibly light on pretty much everywhere. There are some players with massive upside like the Fainus, Bula and the like but there are just so many question marks. I am happy they have finally parted with Brooks and gotten rid of the horribly incompetent board but it is going to take time for them to rise. They have some decent talent in this side and I think they might surprise quite a few teams in 2024 because at their best, they can rip teams apart but their best is rarely ever seen and they also have a rookie coach.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Now for the Dogs (and this is what they will likely go with, I wouldn't because I'd have both Burton and Crichton in the centres). Bear in mind that both Tracey and Sandwich are not available for the season start:

1. Crichton
2. Wilson
3. Xerri
4. Kiraz
5. Addo-Carr
6. Burton
7. Sexton
8. Knight
9. Mahoney
10. King
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Curran

14. Hutchison
15. Patolo
16. Kautoga
17. Mann

I wonder if their bench might be something weird like 3 backs and a forward. This team has the worst group of middles I think I have ever seen going in to a season. They aren't going through anyone, the only way they can possibly do anything is to try and tire other sides out and go around them. I just do not know what their recruitment team has been thinking. They could put together a pretty decent backline if they went with this:

1. Taaffe
2. Skelton
3. Crichton
4. Burton
5. Kiraz (and ship Addo-Carr out and redivert his money into the forwards)
6. Salmon
7. Sexton

But even then, they have nothing to steer them around and those guys are definitely not getting a platform from their forwards against anyone and so it is just a waste of talent there. They just look so bad on paper still.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 13, 2017
Now for the Dogs (and this is what they will likely go with, I wouldn't because I'd have both Burton and Crichton in the centres). Bear in mind that both Tracey and Sandwich are not available for the season start:

1. Crichton
2. Wilson
3. Xerri
4. Kiraz
5. Addo-Carr
6. Burton
7. Sexton
8. Knight
9. Mahoney
10. King
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Curran

14. Hutchison
15. Patolo
16. Kautoga
17. Mann

I wonder if their bench might be something weird like 3 backs and a forward. This team has the worst group of middles I think I have ever seen going in to a season. They aren't going through anyone, the only way they can possibly do anything is to try and tire other sides out and go around them. I just do not know what their recruitment team has been thinking. They could put together a pretty decent backline if they went with this:

1. Taaffe
2. Skelton
3. Crichton
4. Burton
6. Salmon
7. Sexton

But even then, they have nothing to steer them around and those guys are definitely not getting a platform from their forwards against anyone and so it is just a waste of talent there. They just look so bad on paper still.
i still think taaffe will be the 6 or 7 in the dogs side if they had any sense, kiraz and ado carr should be the wings and xerri burton the centers

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Dragons (well I might as well get the trash sides out of the way early):

1. Sloan (I would have Allan here not because he is great but because Sloan is just so inconsistent)
2. Feagai
3. Allan
4. Suli
5. Ravalawa
6. Lomax (fine him every time he throws a dumb pass)
7. Hunt
8. Molo
9. Liddle
10. Sele
11. Bird
12. Su'A
13. de Belin

14. Finau
15. Murdoch-Masila
16. Couchman
17. Eisenhuth

I don't know man, this team also just sucks. It is so bits and pieces that you can put almost anyone everywhere and end up with the same trash. This side looks slightly better than the other two before on paper but like...only just. It is such a waste of Hunt's talent. I kind of wish Hunt could go to Redcliffe, they'd be a contender if he did but anyway, he is stuck with these losers.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008

Haven't watched it. Likely won't watch it. But I appreciate your insight, Sproj. Some thoughts prompted by your own...

I think you're right about the combos. Definitely going to take time to gel, but when they do and they start playing with confidence we could start tearing teams to shreds. I want to see some big scores late in the season, no mercy shown.

Riki has been so underappreciated on here for the longest time. He's definitely grown into his role and become such a great club man.

I wonder how much Reyno felt that early injury. I know Cleary copped similar and still closed out the game when needed, but he's also a decade younger. Hopefully Reyno is determined to be switched on all season, and with luck his lower playing weight might give him a bit of late-career zip. Can he do one better than Kev and lead us to a double prior to his retirement. Yes, yes he can.

I'm hoping the experience matures Reece a bit. I think he's often guilty of overplaying his hand and trying too hard. He needs to learn to play the game in front of him, and take what he's given, and cut the very low percentage plays. This GF, another season, another three Origins - hopefully he'll be on another level entirely by finals time.

I still feel so heartbroken for Mam, more so than anyone else on the team. Absolute CC medal worthy effort, and it feels like it was just wasted. Even better things this year, hopefully.

I can't believe people on here think Arthars hasn't earned his spot going forward. Possibly best on field for us through that first half, and was great the entire finals series and really any time he was called upon.

I feel like Staggs is a great big-game player, he seems to get pumped up for them and usually brings a good game. I'd like to see more consistency throughout the year, though, especially with Herb gone.

How good is it to have Haas locked up until [checks notes] he wants to leave again. But seriously, just a freak. If we can keep him and Patty together for a long stretch, we are absolutely sweet in the middle.

If we get good luck with injuries again this year, we'll definitely contend. I can't see how Penrith can maintain their form for another year... but I think that every year. It's probably 'roids. But we'll get them next year.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I might have a look at some squads and see what happens over the next few weeks. Of course the offseason isn't finished yet, so who knows what other player moves might happen but based on right now, here are how the Tigers are looking for 2024:

1. Bula
2. Staines
3. Naden
4. To'a
5. Tupou
6. Doueihi
7. Sezer
8. Klemmer
9. Koraisau
10. Utoikamanu
11. Papali'i
12. Bateman
13. Blore (if he doesn't go to the Storm early)

14. Fainu/Sullivan
15. Fainu
16. Twal
17. Pole

The reality is, they are incredibly light on pretty much everywhere. There are some players with massive upside like the Fainus, Bula and the like but there are just so many question marks. I am happy they have finally parted with Brooks and gotten rid of the horribly incompetent board but it is going to take time for them to rise. They have some decent talent in this side and I think they might surprise quite a few teams in 2024 because at their best, they can rip teams apart but their best is rarely ever seen and they also have a rookie coach.
I think Doueihi is a chance of missing the whole year... I think the ACL injury he did was going require two lots of surgery 🤔🤔

If he does make it back this year I could see him slotting into the centres instead of straight into the spine... Naden and Toa aren't exactly holding down those spots.

Big question will be on the halves... I think Brooks and Sezer as a halves pairing probably works, but Sezer will likely need someone outside him to create, and at the moment they are probably relying on youth to bring that... likely Sullivan.

Beyond that I think they have a good enough squad to not be wooden spooners, but that was the case last year as well, and it's been the coaching that failed them.

The Sheenius looked well past it last year based on how they played even at the start of the year, which should not be the case when you've got guys like Papa, Bateman, Api, Doueihi, etc.

And now they've got Benji coming in very raw and I'm just not sure he can get them flying given he's not even been an assistant before coming into the gig.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016

1. Crichton
2. Wilson
3. Xerri
4. Kiraz
5. Addo-Carr
6. Burton
7. Sexton
8. Knight
9. Mahoney
10. King
11. Kikau
12. Preston
13. Curran

14. Hutchison
15. Patolo
16. Kautoga
17. Mann

1. Taaffe
2. Skelton
3. Crichton
4. Burton
6. Salmon
7. Sexton

I think they'll put Crichton at fullback, but I have doubts on whether he can succeed there... they've just spent too much money on him to not put him in the spine.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Dragons (well I might as well get the trash sides out of the way early):

1. Sloan (I would have Allan here not because he is great but because Sloan is just so inconsistent)
2. Feagai
3. Allan
4. Suli
5. Ravalawa
6. Lomax (fine him every time he throws a dumb pass)
7. Hunt
8. Molo
9. Liddle
10. Sele
11. Bird
12. Su'A
13. de Belin

14. Finau
15. Murdoch-Masila
16. Couchman
17. Eisenhuth

I don't know man, this team also just sucks. It is so bits and pieces that you can put almost anyone everywhere and end up with the same trash. This side looks slightly better than the other two before on paper but like...only just. It is such a waste of Hunt's talent. I kind of wish Hunt could go to Redcliffe, they'd be a contender if he did but anyway, he is stuck with these losers.
Dragons surely have the worst roster going into the year.

If Bhunt isn't carrying them, because he wants out, then they are in all sorts of trouble.

Tigers have a better squad, but poor coaching would be the reason they fall below this cluster of a squad.

Raiders also look terrible, but will jag wins purely through their forward pack grinding out wins.

Active Now

• cento
  • Brocko
  • Justwin
  • BruiserMk1
  • The Don
  • teampjta
  • johnyE
  • OzeMike
  • Broncosarethebest
  • bb_gun
  • Bucking Beads
  • The Boss
  • eggstar10
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • mrslong
  • kman
  • thenry
  • barker
  • maddo
... and 33 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.