2024 pre-season discussion: Pre-season Premiers

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Those three squads really do highlight that there isn't even enough quality in the comp at the moment for14 or 15 teams, let alone 18 or 20.
I think there's enough talent in general, but there's not enough talent in the halves... and I'd say there's also not enough talent in the coaching.

All the coaches at the moment look to employ a 'META' playstyle based on whoever is the most successful for the period... panthers now, but there's been storm / Bellamy copy cats everywhere for the last decade.

In regards to the halves... it might've been the early to mid-2000's where every team seemed to have at least a competent half with a good kicking game to get them around the field. Locky, Johns, Gower, Barrett, Fittler, Dykes, Sherwin, Kimmorley, Orford, etc. but nowadays the halves come into grade and they all seem to be runners first and having a stock nothing kicking game.

There's basically only a handful of good kickers in the comp at the moment... Cleary, Moses, Reynolds and DCE.

Bhunt, Dearden, SJ, Hughes, Hynes, etc. are great creators and playmakers, but I'd say their kicking wouldn't be good enough to compete with the stock kickers from the 90's and 00's... the development of halves just seems to be down and has been down for awhile now.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Dragons surely have the worst roster going into the year.

If Bhunt isn't carrying them, because he wants out, then they are in all sorts of trouble.

Tigers have a better squad, but poor coaching would be the reason they fall below this cluster of a squad.

Raiders also look terrible, but will jag wins purely through their forward pack grinding out wins.

To be honest, it is only Hunt that (in my opinion) the Dragons are SLIGHTLY above the other two. But yeah if he phones it in, they are in for the longest of long seasons. I also do think though that Flanagan is the best coach of the three for these rubbish sides but even then, how much can you really get out of guys who don't want to be there, no matter how good or decent you are?

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
To be honest, it is only Hunt that (in my opinion) the Dragons are SLIGHTLY above the other two. But yeah if he phones it in, they are in for the longest of long seasons. I also do think though that Flanagan is the best coach of the three for these rubbish sides but even then, how much can you really get out of guys who don't want to be there, no matter how good or decent you are?
Yeah Flanagan vs Benji is why drags, even with their horrendous squad, could/should finish above tigers

Whoever signed off on the Sheens and Benji may have set them back years from where they were when they came in.

Prior to that they had at least picked up some decent recruits, but if the coaching looks bad, then players wont go there without breaking the bank

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Unbelievably, the next team on the ladder this year was the Titans. I actually thought Holbrook looked a good coach in the super league but he really did have that side underperforming, there is no doubt about that. This squad is bottom of the 8 calibre, though of course not at the level of the top teams and nothing they have bought in will change that. That said, if Hasler can get his selections right, they have the POTENTIAL to be right up there behind the Broncs, Panthers and Roosters.

Here we go (and this is what Des needs to pick):
1. Campbell
2. Sami
3. Kelly
4. Brimson
5. Khan-Pereira
6. Foran
7. Boyd (with Weaver getting more and more opportunities)
8. Fotuaika
9. Verrills
10. Palasia
11. Fermor
12. Fifita
13. Fa'asuamaleaui

14. Clark
15. Stimson
16. Alick
17. Kini

I know some of these picks will be strange but look at the forward pack, it should be steamrolling teams. I tell you what, if they had a Mam-like six, they'd be dark horses, well at least they should be. They have so many good players but just have not been able to get the best out of them. Is 2024 the year it finally happens?

Also...have we signed Klese yet?

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Well that brings us to the most fascinating team for 2024 in my view (along with the Roosters), The.

They have recruited really well and if young Katoa can avoid second year syndrome (and he looked like he was already experiencing halfway through his first season), this team has the single most potential of all the bottom teams to rise to top 4. I am not saying they will but this forward pack is plain and simply stacked. Gilbert and Flegs are amazing middles to build around.

They are going to steamroll a lot of sides next year and with Herbie, wing-version Isaako and Hammer, they have backline strike. While they have a few issues such as who the other winger is, their biggest issue is their halves and unfortunately, these positions are just so important in modern league. Oh and while their forward pack is scary, how long can the older guys go on for? A number of them looked to be struggling already in the back end of the season.

1. Tabuai-Fidow
2. Bostock
3. Farnworth
4. Averillo
5. Isaako
6. Katoa
7. Nikorima
8. Flegler
9. Marshall-King
10. Bromwich
11. Kaufusi
12. Lemuelu
13. Gilbert

14. Graham/Stone
15. Wallace/Nicholls
16. Bromwich
17. Plath/Aitken

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Well that brings us to the most fascinating team for 2024 in my view (along with the Roosters), The.

They have recruited really well and if young Katoa can avoid second year syndrome (and he looked like he was already experiencing halfway through his first season), this team has the single most potential of all the bottom teams to rise to top 4. I am not saying they will but this forward pack is plain and simply stacked. Gilbert and Flegs are amazing middles to build around.

They are going to steamroll a lot of sides next year and with Herbie, wing-version Isaako and Hammer, they have backline strike. While they have a few issues such as who the other winger is, their biggest issue is their halves and unfortunately, these positions are just so important in modern league. Oh and while their forward pack is scary, how long can the older guys go on for? A number of them looked to be struggling already in the back end of the season.

1. Tabuai-Fidow
2. Bostock
3. Farnworth
4. Averillo
5. Isaako
6. Katoa
7. Nikorima
8. Flegler
9. Marshall-King
10. Bromwich
11. Kaufusi
12. Lemuelu
13. Gilbert

14. Graham/Stone
15. Wallace/Nicholls
16. Bromwich
17. Plath/Aitken
Screen806f7626c778075ee916ceb015007503

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Well on to the Whinging Foghorns.

This is a squad that should be right up there when the whips are cracking IF the key players are fit but it is also a squad that has massive money tied up a few players that stops them being able to get better across the board. As it stands, they are paying for Lodge's knee rehab. And any given season they start a million dollars behind everyone else because of TTurbo. The guy is the best player in the game when he is fit, hands down. The problem is, he is never fit and he is never out there and so there are real question marks on whether he is really worth the money he is being paid.

They have taken a huge gamble on a second rower and are tied to him forever moving forward, this has the coach written all over it. DCE is an absolute champion but he can't do it all on his own and they are really lacking in X factor to match it with the top two (maybe three) teams. I also cannot believe how much Jurbo is paid, he isn't even in the same class as the top 10s or 13s, he's a tackle bot and don't get me started on Schuster, what a waste of money.

I like the Brooks signing though, I think he will partner with DCE really well but one has to wonder what the wisdom in such a long signing with him is. One also wonders if any of it really matters when they have the handbrake that is the coach running the whole show.

Here is how it looks for 2024:

1. T.Trbojevic (should just write Garrick here)
2. Garrick (Should just write Paulo here)
3. Koula
4. Talau
5. Saab
6. Brooks
7. Cherry-Evans
8. Paseka
9. Croker
10. J. Trbojevic
11. Olakau'atu
12. Bullemor
13. Aloiai

14. Chan Kum Tong
15. Sipley
16. Condon
17. Schuster

That bench is rubbish and there isn't any way of re-arranging the deck chairs to make it better that I can see. If they can stay fit, normally I'd say they can challenge but unlikely with that coach and several of their key players are starting to get on, how many more good seasons does DCE have left, does he have any?

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
And on to the creatures up north. How did they not make the finals? The coach had this team so badly underperforming it isn't funny. He is under massive pressure before the season even begins. They have the squad to challenge but will they?

Here it is:

1. Drinkwater
2. Valemei
3. Laybutt
4. Holmes
5. Taulagi
6. Dearden
7. Clifford
8. McLean
9. Robson
10. Taumololo
11. Luki
12. Nanai
13. Cotter

14. McIntyre
15. Neame
16. Hess
17. Leilua

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
If Welsby actually signs for Dragons he must be on a mil a season because he should be aiming for a top team, I could easily see him being one of the best players in the game in a couple of years.

I think he would make sense as a Luai replacement if he actually goes, or Keary or if a fullback replacement, Gutherson who can move to centre, but Dragons would be a huge waste, I still can't believe Dolphins didn't go hard for him since his coach for those dominant years at St Helens is taking over soon and he is young and can be their generational half alongside Katoa.

I think many can see is has the highest ceiling of any English player we have seen for decades, possibly ever.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 13, 2017
And on to the creatures up north. How did they not make the finals? The coach had this team so badly underperforming it isn't funny. He is under massive pressure before the season even begins. They have the squad to challenge but will they?

Here it is:

1. Drinkwater
2. Valemei
3. Laybutt
4. Holmes
5. Taulagi
6. Dearden
7. Clifford
8. McLean
9. Robson
10. Taumololo
11. Luki
12. Nanai
13. Cotter

14. McIntyre
15. Neame
16. Hess
17. Leilua
Townsend will be the 7 unless i missed the memo of him moving on

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Townsend will be the 7 unless i missed the memo of him moving on
there was rumours but I don't see it happening for 24 atleast, even though he has dropped off a bit.

there simply isn't halfbacks out there these days, keep in mind Dearden was considered a generational 7 through the youth ranks but lacks big time on the kicking game in first grade even now when the rest of his game is rep level basically.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
If Welsby actually signs for Dragons he must be on a mil a season because he should be aiming for a top team, I could easily see him being one of the best players in the game in a couple of years.

I think he would make sense as a Luai replacement if he actually goes, or Keary or if a fullback replacement, Gutherson who can move to centre, but Dragons would be a huge waste, I still can't believe Dolphins didn't go hard for him since his coach for those dominant years at St Helens is taking over soon and he is young and can be their generational half alongside Katoa.

I think many can see is has the highest ceiling of any English player we have seen for decades, possibly ever.
Dolphins would only go after him if he played for the broncos.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017

Jeez you been drinkin again ?

Scorchie

Scorchie

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 16, 2008
It’s amazing the chatter that Herbie is playing centre at The. Imagine leaving Brisbane to play fullback allegedly to play centre again. Why not just stay.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Alright, now we come to the recent Grand Finalists, the Eels. This is a side that in all likelihood would have been up their eyeballs in it last year if it wasn't for constant injuries throughout the year. I guess the question is, do these guys have one more run in them? They are getting older and looked slow in the back end of the year. They are a very good team but a bit like Cronulla, just lack that X factor to win it all...though they are a better Cronulla than Cronulla because they can beat top 8 teams and at times convincingly.

So what was the the issue this year, was their fall because of the injuries or are they just past their best? They also don't appear to have a gear to go to to win it all, even if they go on a run again. They are perhaps the only team with a decent record against Penrith in the last couple of years...except when it mattered most.

A lot of question marks on them because honestly, with gun halfbacks being at a premium now, they have a very good one with Moses, so they should bounce back if they can avoid injuries but overall, the squad looks pretty light on with plenty of holes to exploit for the better teams aside from a still formidable but aging forward pack. Also, I just don't see anything to worry about other than Sivo in that backline, I have a soft spot for Cini for some reason and so threw him in there.

Also, the coach coming out and saying Brown isn't worth the money he is being paid can't be the smartest idea any coach has ever had, early contender for the annual club that self destructs during the preseason?

1. Gutherson
2. Cini
3. Penisini
4. Simonsson
5. Sivo
6. Brown
7. Moses
8. Paulo
9. Hands
10. Campbell-Gillard
11. Matterson
12. Lane
13. Hopgood

14. Lussick
15. Ofahengaue
16. Greig
17. Cartwright/Tuilagi

Active Now

• Browny
  • Justwin
  • Alec
  • cento
  • Brocko
  • BruiserMk1
  • The Don
  • teampjta
  • johnyE
  • OzeMike
  • Broncosarethebest
  • bb_gun
  • Bucking Beads
  • The Boss
  • eggstar10
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • mrslong
  • kman
  • thenry
... and 33 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.