2024 pre-season discussion: Pre-season Premiers

Bit better footage of Karapani. Apparently he's a gun but got the flick from Souths for something, with time left to go on contract.

Highlights are highlights but looks like he's got a shotgun step left and right, can pass left and right and knows how to put his winger over.

Pretty keen to see how he goes, looks like Staggs a bit, raw power too.

He's quick off the mark .

He’s a freak. Never seen anything like him. He was doing peak peptide Paul Gallen stats as an 18/19 year old.

His biggest criticism was he had no offload and look what he achieved in that regard this season. People didn’t even consider that he should need a ball playing game but he’s developed that too.

The final piece would be to see him add that enforcer energy but if he ends up excelling at that too we must be living in a simulation because it shouldn’t be humanly possible to be that close to perfect.
The weirdest part of this is, with offloads now part of his game, he's dare-I-say-it UNDERRATED. That's even with taking into account how highly he's already rated. I hadn't even realized how many offloads he chalked up this season, and I was definitely one of those who criticized him for lack of them in the past.

Apart from that, none of our other forwards came close to his tackle efficiency. Our new recruits are really going to have to up their games in that regard. By way of comparison, here is Flegler, who was good enough to make the Kangaroos.

ScreenScreenshot 2023 12 22 at 15 39 59 Official NRL profile of Thomas Flegler for Dolphins NR

What a season Payne had. Look at these ridiculous stats. He basically never misses tackles. And this year, he added an offload to his game. 50, all up. Result: we became the most devastating attack in the comp.

And I swear, every time he chimed into the back-line and passed, we scored in the corner. Pretty much.

My prediction: next season, he'll start racking up the tries.

View attachment 25578View attachment 25577
Until walsh is as consistent as Payne, he isn’t worth 1 million.

offers comin' over the phone

ScreenA30I8054 Enhanced NR 750x2x
ScreenA30I8216 Enhanced NR 750x2x
ScreenA30I8396 Enhanced NR 750x2x
Screenwesternblueshirt 750x2x

Surely Mam gets announced tonight or tomorrow morning..

Karmichael Hunt on Ben Te Kura, back in August:

"Ben’s got the makings of the complete package. Whether he's up for the intensity of NRL, that’s a question for Kevvie and the coaching staff, but from my perspective as his Cup coach I think I’m a back so I have a real appreciation for what the middles do in terms of their output on the field, but I’ve got no subjective experience."​
“You can put a 17-, 18 year-old back into a footy match and they can survive out there, but whether a young 18-year-old can do the same in the front row I’m not too sure. He’s got a bit of filling out to do; he’s definitely got a lot more maturing physically to do, but in the next year or two I’m looking forward to seeing how he progresses.”​
“Everyone around you can be an influence and have an impact if you allow them, good or bad. Obviously he’s still a teenager and his game since the start of the season every week is starting to grow. I’m sure Marty and Fleg and Payne Haas, the boys he’s hanging around each day, are having a real influence on who he’s becoming as a footballer. I’m starting to see that, especially of late. His performances as a starting middle have been terrific. He’s almost got the makings of the complete package in a footballer.”​

David Middleton manages to squeeze both Reece Walsh and Kalyn Ponga into his top 5 players for 2023:

There is a unique quality about Reece Walsh that could make him a generational player if he continues his present trajectory. The 21-year-old has already achieved more in the game than most players of his age: 60 NRL games, a grand final and two State of Origin appearances, but it is a rare set of skills that can’t be measured by statistics that places him on another level.
The uniqueness is tied to his explosive acceleration, but it is also linked with timing and vision; a rare blend that has already made Walsh one of the most marketable players in the game. ARLC Chairman Peter V’Landys observed during the season that Walsh reminded him of former pin-up player Andrew Ettingshausen. Speaking ahead of the game’s pitch to the American market with the pre-season double-header in Las Vegas, V’Landys said: “If marketed right, Reece Walsh can become one of the best-known Australian sportsmen in America.”
It was a preliminary final performance by Walsh that left many in awe of his ability. As the Broncos ended the Warriors’ bold run, the prodigious fullback showcased his astonishing skills with three try assists and six line break assists in a 30-point victory. It was only a wayward pass that allowed the Warriors to score from an intercept that detracted from a 10 out of 10 display.
But errors are par for the course for a player willing to chance his arm. Walsh subscribes to the Michael Jordan credo: “I’ve missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. Twenty-six times I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”
Walsh made more errors than any player in the NRL in 2023 but no player brought more fans through the turnstiles at Suncorp Stadium than the Broncos’ brilliant No 1.
He played State of Origin for the first time in 2023 and contributed to the Maroons’ series success with several high-quality involvements. In 2024 he is expected to go head-to-head for selection with Kalyn Ponga, a battle that will be of compelling interest to Maroons fans in the first half of the season.

Is he really 126kg? He still looks like he is growing into his frame, and it could hold a fair bit more muscle.
I doubt it aye. When I first saw it thought it might’ve been a typo. 116 kg or something I would’ve thought

I don’t mind the savage shout although quite far fetched but Tesi Niu can go **** himself. He is shithouse
If sailor goes to super league I wouldn’t mind the broncos going after someone like Xavier savage or maybe even tesi niu as a backup fb
Savage would be a good backup for the outside backs as well. His speed would be exciting with the way we attacked this year. Mariner will have some highlights in 24.
Big No on tesi

I think we have enough depth in the outside backs. I wouldn’t mind a sneaky call to Coen Hess’ manager. He is currently available for 2025, can play back row or middle. The cowboys have to re-sign almost their whole squad, including some young talented forwards. And Hess has never really reached his potential. I think he could really benefit from a fresh start.

If sailor goes to super league I wouldn’t mind the broncos going after someone like Xavier savage or maybe even tesi niu as a backup fb
I would think if Kevvie needs move cover in that position, he won't be letting Sailor go.

We also have two fullbacks in Creedence Toia and Matt Milson on T&T.

I'll leave it to @theshed to weigh in on Tesi.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • mystico
  • Jazza
  • Broncosarethebest
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Harry Sack
  • Culhwch
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Lurker
  • Jedhead
  • sooticus
  • Ondi
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.