2024 pre-season discussion: Pre-season Premiers

It's a ridiculous side on paper, and would've cost a heap on the cap ofc when you take into consideration when each of those players were signed, but Teddy and Keary are getting quite crap with age, Walker regressed terribly last year (compare him to Mam or Dearden in terms of progression), and Smith isn't the player they thought he'd be at 9 (they also have zero depth at 9 or the spine in general). Who knows what's happening with Gus, but he isn't the same player he was when they signed him. JWH is old AF too.

Exactly. They send them when they were expensive, subsequent performance has nothing to do with how much salary cap they take as you said.

They are planning to play RTS at centre and cnk at fullback

Yeah I know that's what they've said, I just don't necessarily think that will be the way it plays out. I could well be wrong.

The first trial (against Wynnum) is 54 days away. The first preseason challenge is a week later.

Which makes me wonder about the makeup of the final preseason challenge against Manly to be played in Sydney. We normally field near enough to our full strength squad in that game. But we play in Vegas a week later, and we're meant to be training in the States before it. How is this going to work?
I for one reckons that we may play our full strength squad against Cows and then off to LA. It’ll definitely be our Reggie’s who get to play against Manly.

I for one reckons that we may play our full strength squad against Cows and then off to LA. It’ll definitely be our Reggie’s who get to play against Manly.
I think you're probably right.

Coby Black training with Walsh
IMG 0747

On to team 3, or more accurately, the team no one likes, no one wants and everyone wants to see fail dismally - The South Queensland Storm.

This is a side who has done next to nothing for years in the own backyard and now realise because there is a new club in their area, decide they probably should do something, at least something token anyway.

This team man, cannot stand them, cannot wait to see them fall which they will do inevitably at some point BUT I need to try and be somewhat objective. This is a side that despite really being a shadow of its former self, still made the top 4, that is the ability of their coach, because love him or hate him, he is a truly amazing coach.

So long as they have Munster and Bellamy, they will always be competitive but this is a side that looks to have peaked and does not have anything else left in them. That said, who knows what Bellamy can pull out of his butt. Probably the most interesting question for this side is what do they do with Paps and the new kid who looks like he could be a superstar AND is like the only Victorian produced player ever. If I were Paps, I'd be keeping close watch on any finer points in my contract.

This side is solid but aside from the spine and NAS, they really don't have much else to offer. Shut down NAS and this side isn't really going anywhere and that is exactly what happened in 2023. Of course, the precision factor of Bellamy means this side will always be better than similar teams but is just q gulf between them in the top 3/4 sides and this has not been rectified going in to 2024. They need to play that kid at fullback but to do so, what do they do with Paps?

1. Papenhuyzen
2. Warbrick
3. Seve
4. Smith
5. Coates
6. Munster
7. Hughes
8. Welch
9. Grant
10. Kamikamica
11. Loiero
12. Katoa
13. Asofa-Solomona

14. Wishart
15. King
16. Chan
17. Howarth

Honestly, I don't know what their bench will be but this is a side that without Bellamy would be battling next season. The Bellamy factor though will mean they will be in the top 8 again but not do much damage there.

Coby Black is training
Karapani has clearly joined
Sailor still training which if a release was imminent that would be unlikely
Selwyn training at left centre

A few handy things out of those pics

Black has trained with the NRL squad all year on school holidays.

How about Wighton #1 and Trel #4 ?

Yeah I’d do that personally. Mitchell is great at fullback in patches but his fitness lets him down and stops him being able to be great there all the time.

He could play a kind of roving role at centre and be just as effective but probably for longer.

Coby Black is training
Karapani has clearly joined
Sailor still training which if a release was imminent that would be unlikely
Selwyn training at left centre

A few handy things out of those pics
Oh boy! If Selwyn ends up at left center, I want him to develop leaps and bounds defensively along with Piakura.

Our left edge doesn’t need to send out a special invitation for opposing teams next season.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • MrMoore
  • Foordy
  • Inside pass
  • TimWhatley
  • Financeguy
  • Santa
  • Maroon4life
  • simplythebest
  • bb_gun
  • mitch222
  • Battler
  • Allo
  • rj9
  • Brocko
  • Rambstien
  • Wolfie
  • Fitzy
  • Mighty Bronx
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.