9's day 1 wrap up

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
We've had 36 minutes of footy, all in a foreign format, with mostly U20 players on the paddock. Result:

- Milford is fat, and is going to be another Barba... **** him off!
- Eden is pretty quick and had an amazing 10 minutes of footy. He should be our fullback!

Fickle doesn't even begin to describe this place at the moment. :shocked:

FaceOfMutiny

FaceOfMutiny

QCup Player
Nov 7, 2013
I am pretty sure Wayne's whole purpose is to see how the under 20s players are when they play nrl players. The game plan is just to play it as if it is nrl and avoid taking any risks. I don't see how getting trampled is good for the team though. I am curious to see how the England game goes. This does show Milford is not a halfback(which we already knew) and that the Broncos have more of a chance to win if their best players are on the paddock. I am still enjoying watching the nine's it's just annoying as a Broncos supporter that they clearly aren't really trying to win. The roosters and sharks want to win which is why they have fielded some of their key players.

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
Like most fans I'm annoyed that we lost, especially so badly v Cronulla, but like others have said, it's all 20's and fringe players, save for Macca, Glenn and Milford. And only Milford is what one would call a game-breaker. A little worried that he didn't have a good hit-out but that really comes down to our poor handling and whatever Benny's plan was for the tournament, which probably wasn't to go out of our way to win. Gavet looked good, especially without all the hair.

There are at least 11 or 12 players top graders that weren't there, and pretty much all of them not by choice, so relax

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
We've had 36 minutes of footy, all in a foreign format, with mostly U20 players on the paddock. Result:

- Eden is pretty quick and had an amazing 10 minutes of footy. He should be our fullback!

Milford is fat tbh, I don't think that's debatable, he looks like Barba last year, maybe even bigger, I'm still hopeful that he's going to be a weapon and a much better player than Barba though.

The definition in his legs and the plumpness of his face are a massive difference in these next 2 photos, I wouldn't be surprised if he's lost a lot of his speed.

Broncos Milford:
651337-111deef4-a855-11e4-b4a3-9d4f296075c1.jpg

Raiders Milford:
622351-858a846c-d8eb-11e3-917f-8bca2ad8cf46.jpg

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I broke down each game in the live discussion thread but thought I may as well sum them up in here as well.

Before I begin, I need to put forward this disclaimer. It's very clear that I'm watching a team that isn't concerned about this tournament. Clearly Bennett has stuck with a very simple game-plan for the young team to follow and has told his star players like Milford and the Nikorimas to play what's in front of them. Basically as they would if they were playing NRL.

Unfortunately this lack of preparation hasn't worked for them, a lot of these players aren't good enough to cover for that and in the end it turned out to be a disappointing day for the club.

With that said, it's not worth kicking stones over.

I get it.

Fans have been starving for Rugby League. Moreover, they've been starving for the Brisbane Broncos who they haven't seen since September and for some on here that's way too long.

But I've got to laugh at some of the reactions I've read, if only because I read it all before when Freddy sent a bunch of people sobbing.

With that said, a frank look at the performances from Game 7 and Game 16.

1. Kodi Nikorima - Received limited opportunities in Game 7 as the Roosters were finally holding onto passes when he came on before clearly being head and shoulders our best in Game 16. He's made for this format and isn't afraid to back himself.

2. Elijah Alick - Only played one game and committed a bunch of rookie errors. The kid is only 18 and has plenty of growing up to do, let's see where he's at around Origin.

3. Greg Eden - One of the few highlights in Game 16 was seeing him sweep across field, scoop up a loose ball and set sail for a 40m run before he was brought down. Outside of failing to take an absolute gimme of an intercept, didn't do a whole lot else but then that wasn't his fault that his players couldn't control the ball.

4. Joe Boyce - A mixed bag. Thought he tried hard and managed to pop a nice offload but lacked a little polish which burnt him at times.

5. Lachlan Maranta - Did well to stop McDonald in Game 7 and take advantage of the Milford offload but that's where the praise ends. Still seems unsure of himself and he's still guilty of committing all these mistakes wingers should not be committing.

6. Anthony Milford - All of that hype, all of that expectation and Milford seems deathly shy out there. I would have thought for sure that brilliant offload he produced in Game 7 would have been the wake up call he needed but it just seemed like he was happy to let the game transpire without having much say or choosing to run one off the ruck like he was a prop. And that's not even getting to his defence which was rubbish. Look I hope he plays Game II because champion players need a chance to rebound and I'm sure right now he's feeling hurt but he's got to remind fans what he's capable of before he gives the doubters ammunition.

7. Darren Nicholls - He's been solid out there. Nothing too spectacular but did manage to pick up a meat pie for all his efforts and didn't really do anything to contribute to either loss. If anything, like Milford probably needed to be a more dominant voice out there and push McCullough out of the way to really challenge teams through the air.

8. James Gavet - Mixed bag. Had a couple of decent carries, including one where he bumped off a few defenders despite receiving a hospital pass from McCullough. But why are people so quick to forgive him for his Ashton Sims impression in Game 7? Brisbane had that game sown up at that point and Gavet is there with a loose carry which he spills and costs the Broncos the game.

9. Andrew McCullough - Underwhelming from the captain. Isn't picking his spots well, sort of feels like he's got to be the one making all the shots instead of getting use out of Milford, Nicholls or Nikorima and hasn't produced the best results. When he does pick his shots, like he did at times, it can result in some of the best Broncos plays, so he needs to readjust in order to beat the Dogs.

10. Francis Molo - Only received limited minutes and may have only made 3 carries. He was fine with those touches but I wouldn't say he can really hang his hat on anything.

11. Alex Glenn - He's been solid but you'd expect more out of somebody with his experience. Thought he was amongst our best in Game 7 but like a lot of players, went missing in Game 16. Needs to stand up, combine with his halves and work for a quick play the ball so these players have some momentum to work off of.

12. Joe Ofahengaue - A mixed afternoon. Thought he played well in Game 7 and was also amongst the Broncos best as he made good metres through the middle. However, he was god awful in Game 16 and it just seemed like he was trying too hard and not playing his natural game.

13 Todd Lowrie - What you come to expect from him. Toiled hard, came up with the odd play, was seemingly looking to make stuff happen but others around him weren't working with him etc. I'd like to see him play the Bulldogs.

14. Aaron Whitchurch - Has been OK without ever looking too threatening. Just happy to get through his work.

15. Tom Opacic - Similar deal from Tom.

16. Matt Parcell - Another mixed bag. Was my pick for MotM in Game 7 with his Granville like darts and swift interchange of passing to put Nicholls over but his hands let him down in Game 16. A player with promise.

17. Jayden Nikorima - I wasnt expecting his best plays to come from his defence. Couple of good try-savers close to the line and his 50m drop-out was ridiculously effortless. Would like to see him play against the Dogs and to use his kicking game.

18. Ajuma Adams - Limited game time but did throw a handy offload to McCullough in the lead up to the Whitchurch try in Game 16.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
First game was great. Hung in there and lead the entire game. Great effort in defence.

The fact we lost doesn't concern me.

However, closing out games and being more resilient were things lacking under hook's watch. We needed one easy set to close out the game and Molo I think does an epic Ashton Sims impersonation loses the ball and of course the roosters score.

The team dropped their heads and fair enough. 3 hours later the excitement and energy is sapped and it well showed in the sharks game.

Hope the boys finish on a high note and get back to pre season training with something to take away.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
And Milford is not a fat failure.

The knives are out already. Fucking idiots.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
subsligh said:
However, closing out games and being more resilient were things lacking under hook's watch. We needed one easy set to close out the game and Molo I think does an epic Ashton Sims impersonation loses the ball and of course the roosters score.

It was James Gavet.

He also made a mistake earlier when he knocked on a loose RTS pass early in the second half.

Last edited:
Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013

I don't think anybody has said he's a failure, we're just hoping he doesn't turn into another Barba because of being forced to put on weight to "Defend in the front line", which clearly didn't even remotely help him yesterday, in fact it hampered him because he wasn't quick enough to get in front of his man.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

Yeah because we are all saying this... Fucking hell this generalisation bullshit pisses me off

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Milford is fat tbh, I don't think that's debatable, he looks like Barba last year, maybe even bigger, I'm still hopeful that he's going to be a weapon and a much better player than Barba though.

The definition in his legs and the plumpness of his face are a massive difference in these next 2 photos, I wouldn't be surprised if he's lost a lot of his speed.

Broncos Milford:
651337-111deef4-a855-11e4-b4a3-9d4f296075c1.jpg

Raiders Milford:
622351-858a846c-d8eb-11e3-917f-8bca2ad8cf46.jpg

Are you serious?

There is a very slight difference in those photos as it is, but in even saying that you have posted one photo from side on while he is standing still and the other from front on while he is running (which obviously makes everything tighter)

If you need to prove a point you are inventing that much that you would skew it so heavily, then fine he is a fat barba, whatever makes you happy

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Guess that's what being made to play in the halves will do, where youre made to make 20+ tackles a game as opposed to 4-5 at fullback. He was going to have to bulk up, he has, and you cant bulk up a player like him without losing speed/mobility. Thats the trade off, and i hope all the "Milfords best position is in the halves" crew realise that this is what they were asking for when he's a few steps slower than last year.

On the actual 9s, this tournament has been a huge disappointment compared to last year IMO. Hopefully its better today. Its a shame that Bennett decided we weren't going to take it seriously and fielded a reserve grade team with a few nuffy first graders. Every other team is out to win it, we are there just to not get injuries to first graders.

Last edited:
Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Are you serious?

There is a very slight difference in those photos as it is, but in even saying that you have posted one photo from side on while he is standing still and the other from front on while he is running (which obviously makes everything tighter)

If you need to prove a point you are inventing that much that you would skew it so heavily, then fine he is a fat barba, whatever makes you happy

You're completely wrong, the definition in his legs is clearly an enormous difference, even with him running in one photo and walking in another, his legs in the Broncos photo look like big blobs attached to a fat ass.

BroncosAlways

BroncosAlways

NRL Captain
Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
You're completely wrong, the definition in his legs is clearly an enormous difference, even with him running in one photo and walking in another, his legs in the Broncos photo look like big blobs attached to a fat ass.

You can't compare those two photos, one he is stationary and at training while the other he is running in a proffessional rugby league game with all his muscles being flexed and used.
And how do you know his ass is any more fat than the raiders pic when you can't even see it ?

Find two similar photos and then compare

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008

To put this in context, Corey Norman just scored a try, Andrew Voss just said "Corey Norman, such a dominant force in this tournament"

END OF THREAD /10

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
Guess that's what being made to play in the halves will do, where youre made to make 20+ tackles a game as opposed to 4-5 at fullback. He was going to have to bulk up, he has, and you cant bulk up a player like him without losing speed/mobility. Thats the trade off, and i hope all the "Milfords best position is in the halves" crew realise that this is what they were asking for when he's a few steps slower than last year.

On the actual 9s, this tournament has been a huge disappointment compared to last year IMO. Hopefully its better today. Its a shame that Bennett decided we weren't going to take it seriously and fielded a reserve grade team with a few nuffy first graders. Every other team is out to win it, we are there just to not get injuries to first graders.

no they're not.

Active Now

• BooKhaki
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • Battler
  • Morkel
  • Strop
  • Justwin
  • Allo
  • Fitzy
  • The True King
  • sooticus
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.