Are the fans "over" the Broncos?

I also don't understand how our attack has gone backwards.

In '15, we had quite a few trick moves in attack. We were deadly. Now, all we really have is the sweeping play and offloads hoping for some individual brilliance.

In '15, we had quite a few trick moves in attack. We were deadly. Now, all we really have is the sweeping play and offloads hoping for some individual brilliance.

It seems to me our attack in 2015 was due to Walters being the halves coach.

We haven't been able to replicate it since he left.

I'm not over th Broncos but I'll repeat a sentiment I've posted about else where recently.

I find it hard to emotionally invest in any of our current players. It's not about winning or losing. It's a defining characteristic or trait.

I had a legitment man crush on Hodges, and Parker. Even when we were losing. If I had a daughter I wanted her to bring home a guy like Yow Yee. If Lockyer, Webke, and Petro, combined with Wayne to be a surrogate father of sorts. Alf, Wendell, Lote, Tallis and even KHunt (before he broke all our hearts) were the fun but irresponsible uncles.

Hunt almost made his way into my heart in '14/15 until...well everything from the 75th minute of the gf until now. Milf was a baby faced loveable and extremely talented young man, and then he started the slow play the balls, yelling at his teammates, going missing in games, and sparking rumours of being out of shape/lazy at training.

Gillett is the only guy on our team who I actually care about. I mean I care about them all, but to me he is the only Bronco that has earned my emotional investment as a supporter.

This isn't a skill thing (it helps) or a success thing (also helps), I look around at other clubs and despite how I may feel about their players they have guys who if I were a fan of their club I would love to support.

Where is our Gutho, Peatsy, Elijah Taylor, Pearce, Tedesco, JT/Morgan, Smith/Cronk/Slater/Munster, Widdop/Nightingale, Josh Reynolds/Graham (before being forced out), Luke Lewis/W Graham, etc.?

In top of that Wayne who has always been a hero of mine. Maybe my biggest idol since a kid, has lost a little shine to me. I will preface by saying it is partly my fault for building him up as infallible. Things like forcing Griffin out of his job (I am happy about it but it's unWayne like to me), sacking Walters for taking up the QLD gig despite becoming a rep coach himself, his personal issues with his wife (which I 100% accept I don't know the whole story or even close to), amongst others. He is still a god in my books but not quite the way I used to see him.

This has nothing to do with winning or losing. It's been something I've struggled with for a few years now. Do I give a shit if Korbin Sims and Tautau Moga win a GF? Do I think Boyd retiring with a premiership send off means anything compared to if Hodgo or Cozza got one? Not really.

You wanna win a premiership? Stop going to the games. If the NRL see our crowd numbers dropping they will gift us one.

I'm not over th Broncos but I'll repeat a sentiment I've posted about else where recently.

I find it hard to emotionally invest in any of our current players. It's not about winning or losing. It's a defining characteristic or trait.

I had a legitment man crush on Hodges, and Parker. Even when we were losing. If I had a daughter I wanted her to bring home a guy like Yow Yee. If Lockyer, Webke, and Petro, combined with Wayne to be a surrogate father of sorts. Alf, Wendell, Lote, Tallis and even KHunt (before he broke all our hearts) were the fun but irresponsible uncles.

Hunt almost made his way into my heart in '14/15 until...well everything from the 75th minute of the gf until now. Milf was a baby faced loveable and extremely talented young man, and then he started the slow play the balls, yelling at his teammates, going missing in games, and sparking rumours of being out of shape/lazy at training.

Gillett is the only guy on our team who I actually care about. I mean I care about them all, but to me he is the only Bronco that has earned my emotional investment as a supporter.

This isn't a skill thing (it helps) or a success thing (also helps), I look around at other clubs and despite how I may feel about their players they have guys who if I were a fan of their club I would love to support.

Where is our Gutho, Peatsy, Elijah Taylor, Pearce, Tedesco, JT/Morgan, Smith/Cronk/Slater/Munster, Widdop/Nightingale, Josh Reynolds/Graham (before being forced out), Luke Lewis/W Graham, etc.?

In top of that Wayne who has always been a hero of mine. Maybe my biggest idol since a kid, has lost a little shine to me. I will preface by saying it is partly my fault for building him up as infallible. Things like forcing Griffin out of his job (I am happy about it but it's unWayne like to me), sacking Walters for taking up the QLD gig despite becoming a rep coach himself, his personal issues with his wife (which I 100% accept I don't know the whole story or even close to), amongst others. He is still a god in my books but not quite the way I used to see him.

This has nothing to do with winning or losing. It's been something I've struggled with for a few years now. Do I give a shit if Korbin Sims and Tautau Moga win a GF? Do I think Boyd retiring with a premiership send off means anything compared to if Hodgo or Cozza got one? Not really.
I guess for me it was just a case of growing up.

Lockyer was the last of my childhood idols (started watching in 91 when I was 5), a combination of getting older and having more important things to worry about + it's difficult to idolize a guy your own age or younger. While I will like players in the future, I will never feel the way I did with Renouf, Langer, Webcke, Lockyer.

I'll always back the broncos but am a bit over the way we've played in 2016 and 2017. Would love to see us become clinical like Melbourne. Just week in week out top level football. Be a team that other teams fear and make suncorp a fortress. Too many teams say they love coming to play at Suncorp.

To me there seems to be something off still within the squad regarding their attitude. Without a doubt I believe we have regressed both in our standard of play, the type of play we are utilizing and our attitude from 2015.

Others have posted and I agree, they appear to be mentally weak, which was never a trait that the Broncos had (in fact the very opposite). The Cowboys are now playing with the type of mental attitude, strength or fortitude that we used to. We appear to have lost our way and this has to be at least in significant part a coaching issue. I can only surmise from the outside what the cause is, but they just do not appear to be a happy team and the dynamic appears to be off.

The balance of the squad also appears to be off and we have lost some very long term and very significant players without either having a replacement standing by or the replacement being brought in not quite filling the void eg:

Lockyer - simply not replaced at all - no succession plan in place - this led to the plan to have Kahu at 5/8 which did not even get to first base because of injury and we wound up with Hoffman in the role. We are still suffering from this six years later.

Hodges - Jimmy was brought in as the replacement and although there are positive signs there, he does not involve himself to the extent that Hodges did or go looking for work like Hodges did. We are still weaker from this loss.

Parker - We have weakened the front row rotation to place McGuire in the lock position. He lacks the off-load game of Parker and too often he is stifling the attack on the fourth tackle. He is all heart and you cannot question his involvement or passion. But overall, this has still weakened the team.

Once again, shooting from the outside, I don't know if the Boyd as captain concept has worked, ultimately the evidence appears to be that this has not worked.

Bird is a class recruit, but where he will be used is still a mystery to be solved. The loss of Hunt and Blair with no visible replacements at this stage also appears to weaken the team.

So, we do not appear to be heading in the right direction, and if anything, next year looks as though it could be a much tougher year than this year.

Very true. Boyd is loyal to Bennet not Broncos. Like to see Gillo find his voice.

No one in the Broncs currently has the combination of heart, loyalty, football iq and leadership skills to really want to follow at this point.

When you look at the 2006 side that last won the premiership, we had some serious talent in there. Lockyer, Hodges, Webcke, Civoniceva, Tate, Thorn, Carroll, Hunt, Berrigan, Ennis, Thiaday, Parker and Minto. We are seriously lacking in star power these days, but we are still capable of winning another premiership, We just need a few tweaks.

Cant be over the Broncos if I take the loss personally which I do. I still have the shits with what happened on Friday night

What makes you say that?

He seems to think Boyd left here on his own accord and not realise he only left this club because he was told he wasn't being offered a new contract. Bennett threw him a lifeline and he has never looked back. Boyds got what some clubs kill for, loyalty to those who have shown it to them.

You're right, those old Broncos you speak of are heros to their fans, and when Hodgo and Parker finished up they were the last 2 from an era of when you knew how much their Broncos colours meant to them because they went to war week in week out.... These days it's all about the big contract and how many instagram followers they have, and it shows on the field in how they play and the results we get. Pride in the jersey has been an issue for the past 2 seasons, the players know it, Wayne knows it and we the fans know it.

I still have a bit of faith that if we can just fix the things that need fixing and find the hunger again that we can win the premiership, but I'm close to losing faith completely in this roster and this coaching staff.

We've gone backwards since 2015, and I thought where we finished on the ladder in 2016 was a fair reflection of where we're at currently. How can we consider ourselves a top team when we can't beat the top teams consistently? We finished 3rd this year, but that was due to the Eels and Sharks being as inconsistent as us. But when it came to the big games against those top teams, we were a rabble.

I don't think we can win the premiership in 2018. But what I want to see is a strong season where we show improvement in all areas of the game, that will give me faith going forward that we're close. I don't want another season of inconsistency where we fail to compete with the top teams. I want to see our attitude and our mental fortitude improve significantly.

I'll still support the club, buy the membership, go to the games and watch them on TV. I'll still be a passionate supporter. That won't change.

@theshed

Its a symptom of the hollowing out of our culture imo, we need more kids coming through our systems and being promoted to first grade. Signing outsiders who compliment the team is necessary, but we need some good kids we can call our own.

Gillett was our last rookie of the year, JYY was cut down by injury. It's time we had another one come along, surely.

Hunt wouldn't have left if we won the 2015 premiership he now wants a fresh start.

"I haven't even taught them how to attack yet" - Wayne Bennett 2015

Active Now

• maddo
  • Fozz
  • Justwin
  • Sproj
  • Mick_Hancock
  • davidp
  • Financeguy
  • Xzei
  • Fitzy
  • Manofoneway
  • TimWhatley
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncsgoat
  • Santa
  • Mum-the-meatloaf
  • FACTHUNT
  • Galah
  • lynx000
  • johnny plath
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.